HD Receivers for OTA Only

ewhite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
If I wanted to use a 622, 211, 811 or a 942 to receive OTA only, would they work without a Dish Network subscription? Would the DVR of the 622 or 942 be able to work as it does with Dish hookup? Or does Dish have to turn on the receivers. Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure that the DVR function won't work w/o a subscription but can't say I've personally tried.

Also, the newer Dish receivers are not ideal for OTA only as they do NOT download PSIP data. They get the guide data from Dish, which you won't get w/o a subscription. An 811 might work fine though. Otherwise, get an older D* HD set-top (there should be plenty of those coming available soon).

Hall is correct about the new Dish Network receivers. I just want to add that some Directv's receivers also need to see satellite 101 to download the guide but don't need a subscription for OTA to work.

the 811 works fine but you need a signal from a Dish satellite. I have a line from 119 hooked up just to use the OTA (and it gets NASA too) :)

I just got a 722. When I was researching the unit before choosing, I asked specifically about using the 722 as a DVR for OTA HD signals, without buying any Dish HD programming. They said I could do that, but there would be a $6/month "enabling fee". Basically, their $20/month HD fee drops to $6 per month: For that price you get no HD programming from Dish, but your 722 will still function as an HD DVR for OTA signals. Note that if you do things this way, your only have one HD tuner available for recording, so no simultaneous recording of different HD shows. You still have to commit to some SD programming package for 18 months however - if you're renting their 722. It can be the cheapest one (the Family package).

[edit]If you do the above $6 enabling fee only, and don't purchase your locals from Dish, you can still record them on the 722 DVR, but your won't have the program guide info. The guide info comes to you only after you purchase the locals.[/edit]

I don't know all the Dish receiver model numbers you mentioned. I assume they're all DVR's with an ATSC tuner. If any of them are just plain receivers, why would you want that for just OTA? A non-DVR receiver-only would gain you nothing if you were only feeding it with your OTA signal - just send that signal straight to your TV instead. Unless your TV doesn't have an ATSC tuner (and your Dish receiver does).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)