Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Ok, it has always bothered me that I cannot watch my HD channels on my SD equipment in SD. Specifically I am referring to HDNet and Discovery-HD. I know for a fact that Voom HD programming can be recorded IN SD on a TiVo standalone unit, so why not the DirecTiVo? Darin, I am kind of dumping this one on you if you are out there. I'll even PM you on it.

You could do the exact same thing with DirecTV. You could use a stand-alone TiVo with a DirecTV HD receiver. Or, you could get an HD-TiVo and use the SD outputs. Either way is a slightly expensive option just for watching HDNet on an SD TV.

I really have no idea but I'm guessing it has something to do with the box not being able to to down convert 720p or 1080i to 480i

Well I know the Standalone TiVo does not down convert either ... I had an HR10-250 and took it back. Not enough bang for my buck. I also took it back because if the HR10-250 is like the HIRD-E86 ... I don't want to be an early adopter. That and after all I seen and heard about the Moxi units, that is the direction I would like to go. Either way I want a platform independent box.

Well, if you want a platform independant box, then your only choice is something like the standalone TiVo. And along with that comes the added cost and lost PQ of the necessary MPEG encoding, and loss of features like dual tuners and dolby digital. And just like with Voom, you will have to combine it with an HD receiver, making it a fairly costly pair.

I've read this three times now and can not see the problem - I have the Samsung 360 box, and I have the composite outputs piped out to a blonder tongue modulator in the garage. Both the HD outputs + the composite outputs are active at the same time.

Frank

Your SD box will not accept HD signals and cannot downconvert signals it can't recognize to begin with... Your HD box could (same as the voom's) now if you want to put a HD box in your other room and record off of that it would work... (same situation as the voom box)

But your SD box will not do it.

When directv has enough room for more channels they should consider getting a down converted version of HDNET/HD THEATER that all recievers can see. If people saw the type of programming on these channels and then saw a commericial about being able to see the picture in HD it might get them to go get an HD box and/or a HDTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)