hd rez rates

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
with all the talk of direct and dish doing hd lite, i was wondering if anyone had the resolutions brighthouse tampa was displaying our hd in.

to me it lookes better than dish. have not seen direct.

i feel it is better than dish as well. trying to find out if they are outputting the full resolution. if they are not, i am surprised that it looks that much better.

BFG said:
AFAIK BHN does not use any compression equipment on their systems.

They are compressing the crap out of the local OTA stations.

The difference in OTA vs cable card is night and day.

You take another tremendous hit between cablecard and the HDMI of a SA8300. While this is the difference in the 1600+ line resolution of the cablecard vs the 1250 line resolution of the SA8300, its still starts with them overcompressing ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC etc. Of course, this makes the features of the SA8300 virtually worthless as you really do not want to use that for viewing once you see the difference.

And then again, WFLA looks like crap anyway most of the time, so making it worse is mind-numbing.

Last edited:
i can't compare with the cable card since i don't have one. maybe i will get one for a month to see how it looks.

Just look at BHN in Tampabay versus the OTA stations. Despite the 6 second delay where they re-encode it, the difference is very obvious. It's even more obvious if you don't have a cablecard.

That's not saying that they down rez the channels - but they are bitstarving them and it shows.

i will compare the ota when i get a chance. problem is now, i won't be watching alot of the network shows until the repeats are over. i am sure you are correct, because when i used ota when cable was down, it looked great.

Well it sounds like maybe their equipment has bitrate limitations but at least what I was meaning is that they don't have any equipment that re-compresses stuff and changing resolutions etc. Greg who was the cheif engineering in Orlando told us this is now working in the Tampa market so I dunno if the same applies there or not.

They are not changing resolutions - ie- HDLITE.

They are recompressing and dropping the bandwidth.

This is new as a year ago they did not do this. They only had 2 HD signals on a 38.81Mbps 256QAM.

Now they will stick 3.

Do the math.

Last time I checked, Channel 613 (FOX), 628 (ABC), 616 (WUSF), 617,618,619 and god knows what else was on 555mhz (QAM Channel 79).