HD Tivo worth it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New Jersey
Just wondering if the HD Tivo is worth it? I don't mean the money aspect. But with Directv severing its relationship with Tivo I'm concerned that I could shell out big bucks for it only to lose all functionality of it, say within a year when Directv comes out with their own HD DVR. I've been reading on this board that there is a good chance that DirecTV will upgrade HD receiver users for free or a small fee when MPEG 4 comes out. I don't know, i guess if most people say that its still a good idea I would probably go for it.

True, but on the other hand you hear those with S1 tivos complaining about the lack of updates...

The HD TiVo is the greatest piece of technology I've ever purchased.
If you are going to be afraid of the future, be careful of plasma, LCD, rear projection, front proejction, along with satellite, cable...etc.
The HD TiVo is a great engineering feat which makes viewing so much more enjoyable.
Robert will sell you one as cheaply as anybody (and back it up better) and then DirecTV probably can be persuaded to give you $200+ in incentives.
So you have to figure out if the HD TiVo is worth it to you. (Who cares what "a majority" think?)
But if you are going to be worried about cutting edge technology being replaced by newer models with better features, you will wait a long time before buying anything.

(Note: For the record, I have no connection to Robert or to Value Electronics.)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV will support the TiVo platform for many years to come.

DIRECTV still supports Microsofts Ultimate TV DIRECTV DVR.

-Robert

robert ,

you are correct, my business partner still has the ultimate and he LOVES it

dragon

HarryD said:
The $999 price tags is too steep for something that will be soon outdated..

But I believe that members of this site will get a discount from valueelectronics. Also, D* has said that they will provide an replacement to a MPEG4 box when it becomes necessary for your location. So why miss out being able to timeshift HD programming now?

I honestly couldn't justify the price.

But I got one for free. So I didn't turn it down.

And having come from a Dish 921... I'd say if $800 is in your budget, and you like HD, it's worth it. I've adapted to Tivo. It's a way of life and has been for 2 years now. If I got a HD receiver without Tivo, it would be pointless. I'd never watch HD programming.

I thought the Dish 921 was an affordable alternative. I was wrong. Any other DVR is just a DVR. The 921, of course, is more like a medieval torture device. But Now that I have the real HD Tivo, i can't imagine watching HD on anything else.

Is the HD Tivo Worth It?

obeythelaw said:
Just wondering if the HD Tivo is worth it? I don't mean the money aspect. But with Directv severing its relationship with Tivo I'm concerned that I could shell out big bucks for it only to lose all functionality of it, say within a year when Directv comes out with their own HD DVR. I've been reading on this board that there is a good chance that DirecTV will upgrade HD receiver users for free or a small fee when MPEG 4 comes out. I don't know, i guess if most people say that its still a good idea I would probably go for it.

I've had mine for almost a year. I was one of the first adopters (#133 on Robert's first list). During that year my Wife and I have enjoyed countless hours of HD programming and had no problems with the unit whatsoever.

Everyone has to answer this question for themselves, taking their own personal circumstances into account. If purchasing an HD Tivo means you won't be able to pay the rent/mortgage, buy food or school clothes for the kids, then don't buy one.

On the other hand, if you can afford the cost, go for it, it's a great piece of equipment!

HarryD said:
The $999 price tags is too steep for something that will be soon outdated..
HarryD, no one has to worry about anything being outdated by DIRECTV advanced technologies as DIRECTV will upgrade everyones HD customer equipment at no charge. SO come and get your DIRECTV system today so you can "feel the joy today" and for many years to come as DIRECTV is here to supply the best HD equipment and content available today and for many years ahead.

-Robert

rad said:
But I believe that members of this site will get a discount from valueelectronics. Also, D* has said that they will provide an replacement to a MPEG4 box when it becomes necessary for your location. So why miss out being able to timeshift HD programming now?

They have said they will replace the HD recievers and have not made a definative statement saying that they will upgrade the HD tivo for free. I dont see that happening for free. Hope I am wrong but I wouldnt touch one right now. If D* has released some definitive language addressing the issue could someone please post it? The last thing I saw was speculation about some credits after you paid a sum of money but IMO that is far from being free.

vurbano said:
They have said they will replace the HD recievers and have not made a definative statement saying that they will upgrade the HD tivo for free. I dont see that happening for free. Hope I am wrong but I wouldnt touch one right now. If D* has released some definitive language addressing the issue could someone please post it? The last thing I saw was speculation about some credits after you paid a sum of money but IMO that is far from being free.

See Robert's post above yours.

I just bought the HD Tivo from D* and asked two customer retention agents point blank if the transition to MPEG4 will be free. They told me (on two different phone calls) that they JUST had a meeting on that very topic ... and that there was no definitive word on the matter.

It's a crapshot. My feeling is that we'll get some sort of credit at worst and a complete replacement at best. But I bet you it's much more likely to be the first option.

I have a question about the HD Tivo that will help me to decide whether it is worth it.

Can you record/rewind/pause the local channels from the off-air antenna? Also, will these channels function with the season pass feature?

Thanks

Mr. Fusion said:
I have a question about the HD Tivo that will help me to decide whether it is worth it.

Can you record/rewind/pause the local channels from the off-air antenna? Also, will these channels function with the season pass feature?

Thanks

Yes, the local ATSC OTA channels have the same functionaly as the D* channels when it comes to the Tivo/DVR fucntions.

rad said:
Yes, the local ATSC OTA channels have the same functionaly as the D* channels when it comes to the Tivo/DVR fucntions.
Caveat....you need paid-up D* service to have full functionalty...you can't
record OTA H/D only, if that was what you mean?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)