HD Upgrade install question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Had an HD upgrade install done today, and I would have thought the installer would have had it as easy as pie.

I already had 4 RG-6 coax lines coming in from the dish going straight into a basement with a drop ceiling into an easily accessable multiswitch, was replacing ONE DirecTivo DVR receiver, that already had TWO RG-6 coax lines running to it.

All he had to do was upgrade the dish, place the HD DVR receiver, connect it to the new HD TV, activate and he should have been done.

3 1/2 hours later, he was still puzzled, and ended up calling in for a waiver. (I was not home. My wife and a friend of hers were the only ones home).

Turns out the installer left the old 3 LNB dish on the roof (not going to be acceptable in my HOA area) and to top it all off, hooked my brand new Sharp 60" HDTV up to the HD DVR with a component video cable and NOT an HDMI cable, and he didn't even connect the DVR to a phone line which was right behind the TV where it used to be connected to the DirecTivo DVR.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but, component connection is ANALOG and not DIGITAL, and is not exactly true HD, and cannot handle the 1080p content that is available on some of DTV programming.

I did contact DTV when I arrived home this evening to let them know that this upgrade installation was not acceptable, and that I would need a tech to return to remove the old dish, and that I would like him to bring the HDMI cable that I was told would be provided.

Is this unreasonable, or would it not be expected that the tech would at the very least use an HDMI cable for an HD install? Especially since I have 4 UNUSED HDMI inputs on the TV!

Thanks for your help. I appreciate any feedback anyone has.

You are correct on 99% of you assessment. and lessons learned......

1. Installers are contracted and are not "really" DirecTV employees; but...... I digress.
2. ALWAYS be at home for your install. Take pride in the fact this is your home and you want things to go smoothly.
3. Make sure BEFORE the installer begins to ask questions and discuss what will be happening vs. your expectations. Had this been done you both might have realized he was in over his head. See #2
4. Never sign-off on anything you are not happy with.
5. Installs of this nature ARE a two-way street..

I've been told NOT to remove the old dish bracket from the roof, because this causes a liability of the roof leaking. I should remove the old dish, leave with the home home owner but leave the bracket in place on the room. To all of the seasoned installers, is this true?

He should of taken the old dish and left the foot plate as described above.It's a preference of the installer not a requirement.I'm sure if you wife gave instructions to remove the dish it would of happened.

On the time frame,on an upgrade you have to check the health of the whole system.We as installers are responsible for the entire system once we leave that job.So there was a lot more involved than just hanging a dish and swapping a box

On the phone line yeah he forgot it his bad.Was it that inconvenient for you really.
Now for the component cable you are correct but you couldn't tell the difference between the two in directv programming.
Most people can't anyway.

What to take from this is if you want things done your way be home to see it done.He probably would have done it anyway you wanted

I would have removed the dish and used hdmi but that's just me.It is the only way to achieve 1080p.I would have also networked your receiver to the Internet,that's the only way you are going to see 1080p to begin with is video on demand.

You won't be able to tell a difference between the HDMI and Component connections in Most cases, biggest difference is 1 cable vs 1Component and 1 Audio cable.

However, YES Component IS TRUE HD.

Why did he call for a waiver ?

That is the reason that went I get something done I stay home and fallow the installers step, make suggestion and ask question to see if he know what his doing.

Some HD receivers do not come with HDMI cables in the box, one of mine did 3 did not. When the first one (H20-600) was installed the guy offered to sell me one, I had already ordered one from the internets, and am capable of doing that stuff myself. That one was PP replaced with an H20-100, it had an HDMI cable. Since then I've had 2 HR21-100's without HDMI cables, in fact the last one had NO cables save power, both were labeled "refurbished". There is a probability that you got a refurb unit, especially if you got a "deal". To me refurb is no problem, except that that is all they will sell (not lease) or replace. Anyway, if it's not in the box he ain't gonna include it.
Question for you installer types is; how can you do an initial activation of a DVR without a phone line attached? Don't you have to go through a "system test" at least?

Well, I would have been home, but, since I work, I thought my wife being home was good enough.

I simply "expected" he would take the old dish like the last installer did when I had my old single LNB dish upgraded to the 3 LNB dish 4 years ago.

As far as the type of connection to the TV, I know customer service lies, but, they did assure me I would get an HDMI cable, and I was especially interested in 1080p, which I know I couldn't get with component.

It's really too bad. He came late enough, I was on my way out the door for work or I would have asked alot of questions. As to the waiver, there was a very light rain going on during the day of the install that never quit, all day, but, it was not near enough to affect signal because the signal level was very good, even later in the day when it was raining harder. He actually asked my wife if he could come back a few days later when it wasn't raining to do the install.

And this is a problem why?Directv does not even offer programming in 1080p unless you do video on demand.Which I'm sure is not hooked up.Hook your reciever up to the Internet then worry about hdmi cable.

I can't believe what you are complaining about.The guy worked in the rain on a ladder to get your install done.I would have cancelled the job I do not get on a ladder in the rain.This guy went out of his way for you and your gonna gripe over a cable that's not going to make a bit of difference.

Canceling the install versus a half-assed job WOULD have been a better option in my book too. If you aren't going to do it ALL correctly; just don't do it at all.

I've gone on upgrades and seen hd dvr's hooked up with composite cables that's half assed this guy is just being ridiculos

I'm not saying this guy shouldn't of got the service he deserved.But should cut the installer a little slack.

Yeah I would of networked it,I would of used hdmi and yeah I would of left the plate and took the dish.But I wouldn't of done a stitch of that in the rain

This guy is ridiculous. Just connect the hdmi cable and the phone line and POOF, issues resolved. I never take the dish down unless it's on the work order. You have hd with the comp cables. Don't assume anything, because......

You may not be aware, but as far as your old dish is concerned, it belongs to you, not D* - so of course he wouldn't take it down unless you specifically asked. Otherwise he'd be stealing your property.

1. Remove the old dish only if the customer asks for it to be removed, and leave the foot in place if it was sealed properly when installed.
2. They don't always have HDMI cable to give with the receiver. In that case you get component. You won't see a difference anyway.
3. Phone line certainly should have been connected. But as others have said, did it really kill you to hook it up.
4. Connecting to the internet only if the work order calls for it. It's not a required connection, it is not paid for, so it normally does not get done. The only time the receiver will get networked is if the router is right next to the receiver, and there is no phone line around.

Let's face it folks. You want these upgrades for free or next to nothing. As such Directv pays the installers next to nothing. You get what you pay for.

The only parts I disagree with is:

"2. They don't always have HDMI cable to give with the receiver. In that case you get component. You won't see a difference anyway."

The cables should always be included these days and surely not just a component or any ONE cable type. This is a simple and reasonable expectation. All of the cables should be included for ANY type of connection - the component, composite, s-video and HDMI; these are in every standard HD box's packing; along with the remote and the batteries for the remote. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks can or can't be "seen". I think they even had a 6' piece of F-type RG6 and a 12' RJ-11 too.. I have received 4 units and they were in all 4.

"As such Directv pays the installers next to nothing. You get what you pay for."

Bottom line is regardless of what DirecTV pays (or any other employer), if you take a job, your own personal pride should have you doing your best job each and every time based on what the customer should get. If an installer has hard feelings about what they get paid; QUIT!! Don't "F" the customer; its called doing the RIGHT thing, having PRIDE in YOURSELF and being a PROFESSIONAL (like any other employer / employee relationship) .. I could care less if you sack groceries or toss papers; if you take a job, do it right and to the best to your ability. The piss and moan, poor pitiful me attitudes are exactly what is wrong in the USA.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)