HD upgrade questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
I have some more upgrade questions if anyone can help.

Question 1:
If I upgrade to the H20 and have Choice Xtra with HD access programming, will I get both standard and HD versions of channels or just HD? (I ask because I've read sometimes the HD version have some issues of freezing/pixelation)

Question 2:
If I upgrade to the H20 can the installers use the same coaxial line I have now or do they need to run a new line?

Queston 3:
If I upgrade to HR20 will directv installer run a second line for my dvr? (I only have one line run currently and am under the understanding a dvr should have 2 lines run to it)

Question 4:
I currently have one HD receiver and one standard (connected to a standard tv). If I upgrade my HD receiver to H20 or HR20, will that affect my standard receiver or do I need to do anything different for my standard receiver?

Question 1:
If I upgrade to the H20 and have Choice Xtra with HD access programming, will I get both standard and HD versions of channels or just HD? (I ask because I've read sometimes the HD version have some issues of freezing/pixelation)
Adding programming doesn't subtract programming. You get all the SD stuff with the addition of HD channels
Question 2:
If I upgrade to the H20 can the installers use the same coaxial line I have now or do they need to run a new line?
That depends on the line. If it is of questionable quality, they may replace it.
Queston 3:
If I upgrade to HR20 will directv installer run a second line for my dvr? (I only have one line run currently and am under the understanding a dvr should have 2 lines run to it)
Yes. Note that they probably won't run a third line if you need access to Over The Air (OTA) channels.
Question 4:
I currently have one HD receiver and one standard (connected to a standard tv). If I upgrade my HD receiver to H20 or HR20, will that affect my standard receiver or do I need to do anything different for my standard receiver?
Nothing changes with respect to the SD receiver.

I've not had any problems with freezing or pixelation on the new HD channels... they're miles better than their SD counterparts.

And yes, they will run another line, but only through an outside will - they won't fish a wall or run it through the attic unless you pay for premium installation.

Also just upgrading from HD to HD-DVR

I too am upgrading our current Samsung HD Receiver to a HD-DVR and I just found out that Directv can not come out to install until Nov 8th, We just got new siding and had all the previous cables burried under it.
We own our home and I have worked very hard to conseal all the cables in the walls and ceilings to look like the house was built with these things installed. (built in 1976)
I have only one cable with a duplexer for the OTA anttena currently going to the samsung HD receiver, I know they will also be installing a 5 LNB dish instead of the 3 LNB I have now. We also have a SD DVR in another room with two cables running to it.

Can someone tell me where I can get some good cable and how many lines I'll need so that I can fish them through the attic and walls prior to the install person coming out?

I really do not want them just draping anothet cable off my roof and punching a hole through my wall to do this.

Or am I at the mercy of the technition that comes out and wants to charge me $$$ an hour to do this. - or I do I let him do it his way and repair it all later.

Please Help.

I too am upgrading our current Samsung HD Receiver to a HD-DVR and I just found out that Directv can not come out to install until Nov 8th, We just got new siding and had all the previous cables burried under it.
We own our home and I have worked very hard to conseal all the cables in the walls and ceilings to look like the house was built with these things installed. (built in 1976)
I have only one cable with a duplexer for the OTA anttena currently going to the samsung HD receiver, I know they will also be installing a 5 LNB dish instead of the 3 LNB I have now. We also have a SD DVR in another room with two cables running to it.

Can someone tell me where I can get some good cable and how many lines I'll need so that I can fish them through the attic and walls prior to the install person coming out?

I really do not want them just draping anothet cable off my roof and punching a hole through my wall to do this.

Or am I at the mercy of the technition that comes out and wants to charge me $$$ an hour to do this. - or I do I let him do it his way and repair it all later.

Please Help.

It's really up to you how you do it (yourself now, or let him do it and then you fix it later). My guy had to run one extra cable and he did as good a job as possible hiding the cables under different parts of the siding, but there is only so much to be done in most cases...

To answer your original question, you will need three cables if you're also doing OTA - two for the DVR and one for the OTA. Diplexers don't work with the new HD channels (although there is some evidence to the contrary if you move the BBC up in the line before the diplexer).

D* is working on a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) that would allow you to use only one cable for the DVR, but that isn't coming out until later this year, last I heard, and you would still need a separate cable for the OTA, so you'll probably need at least one new one regardless.

Status
Please reply by conversation.