Pequannock, NJ
47 - national channels
9 - regional sports channels
8 - distant network signal channels
8 - pay-per-view channels
__
72 total hd channels

now who said they wouldnt hit 70 by oct 31....where r u guys now :D

I can agree with the national channels and the regional sports channels.. But I disagree that they can call 8 distant network signal channels and 8 pay-per-view channels in this number count game..

I can't get those 8 distants so they don't count :)

I can agree with the national channels and the regional sports channels.. But I disagree that they can call 8 distant network signal channels and 8 pay-per-view channels in this number count game..

I agree that this is pushing it - in the meantime, they are NOT counting the NFL, NHL, NBA HD channels as many whined about for the past year or so.

We have to get away from this number thing I'm afraid, it doesn't really tell the story now, just as it didn't tell the whole story the past couple of years either.

Both providers have been carving out a different niche. DISH has VOOM, no big deal to DirecTV subs, D* has much more HD sports, not a big deal to DISH subs - at least so it seems.

Still - DirecTV will be adding about 30 more HD channels in the next 10 weeks. So no matter what the 'number' is, it is very obvious that DirecTV will have virtually ALL of the so-called 'mainstream' national HD, it will have a substantial HD-RSN variety offered nationwide in Sports Pack, it will have a very nice premium movie HD offering, it already now has 8 HD-PPV channels, and it has an outrageous and 'untouchable' HD sports offering. D* also can boast of a very substantial lead in providing HD locals.

In every category it seems, DirecTV will have a broad spectrum of HD programming available. The gauntlet is certainly laid out there for the competition. Let's see how they respond - and the time-frame it takes for them to respond.

What's wrong with the PPV? you can get those and they are 'channels". I'm not a fan of PPV my self but can understand why D* would count them.

More on the way soon ! I'm not saying adding channels isn't hard work for Directv but things don't even get tight for them till the total HDs get close to the 100 mark.:)

Matt

My take is E* should count the voom channels, D* should count all sports. All providers should count every HD channel the broadcast. They are using bandwidth to transmit the channel it should be included.
I don't think anyone should use it as a factor in deciding which provider to go with. Just get what makes you happy. No need to debate who is better. Who cares? As long as they are both competing, the consumer wins.

This bugs me.... I didn't count HD PPV's for E* and I'm not going to count them for D*. I also don't consider the distants to be actual channels either - if you want to count four total (one for each network) on the assumption that nearly everyone can either get their locals or the distants, I might consider that.... but counting all 8 is ridiculous.

I'm sorry that D* gave in to the marketing pressure and felt the need to fabricate this just to get to the 70 number they've been talking about. I was thinking they were filling in the gap with more RSN's (which others will argue about but I consider more "real" channels than PPV...).

I don't get my locals yet, but I do get NY HD channels.

I agree that this is pushing it - in the meantime, they are NOT counting the NFL, NHL, NBA HD channels as many whined about for the past year or so.

We have to get away from this number thing I'm afraid, it doesn't really tell the story now, just as it didn't tell the whole story the past couple of years either.

Both providers have been carving out a different niche. DISH has VOOM, no big deal to DirecTV subs, D* has much more HD sports, not a big deal to DISH subs - at least so it seems.

Still - DirecTV will be adding about 30 more HD channels in the next 10 weeks. So no matter what the 'number' is, it is very obvious that DirecTV will have virtually ALL of the so-called 'mainstream' national HD, it will have a substantial HD-RSN variety offered nationwide in Sports Pack, it will have a very nice premium movie HD offering, it already now has 8 HD-PPV channels, and it has an outrageous and 'untouchable' HD sports offering. D* also can boast of a very substantial lead in providing HD locals.

In every category it seems, DirecTV will have a broad spectrum of HD programming available. The gauntlet is certainly laid out there for the competition. Let's see how they respond - and the time-frame it takes for them to respond.

Scobuck - Can you confirm once and for all that MSG-HD is included in the "coming soon" category. I've seen so many posts that say Dolan will never let it go to satellite. But D* now includes the logo on their site and I really don't think they would do that unless they had an agreement in place for this year. I also never understood why so many think he won't let D* carry the HD signal when they already carry the SD signal. Any thoughts??

D* will count it because it helps them against Comcast who tries to count each individual HD Video on Demand item when they say they have more HD. Which always makes me laugh.

ScoBuck is right on the point that it's time to get away from the numbers game. Both companies are now holding a lot more HD than they did, and It is only going to grow. D* is going to be in the lead for a while now. It took them 2 years to catch up. Now E* will be playing catchup.. I have both. I have lots of HD to watch. :) I don't feel slighted at all when D* adds something that E* doesn't have. OR vise versa.. I watch em all..

It's the same logic as the Dish 500 and Dish 1000. :D

Channel numbers don't matter to me at all. I get my locals, NESNHD, NFL Sunday Ticket, select HD channels like HDNet, ESPN, Starz, SciFi, History, HBO, etc. The only one I want that is not HD yet is Comedy Central. Anything that is now added is just gravy so it can be 60, 70 or 100 in total. Doesn't matter. My local PBS would be nice but I have an alternate antenna to get that on one of my DVR's.

How can you count SHO/HBO/Starz E&W as different HD channels??????????
Same junk different time.............come on!

ScoBuck is right on the point that it's time to get away from the numbers game. Both companies are now holding a lot more HD than they did, and It is only going to grow. D* is going to be in the lead for a while now. It took them 2 years to catch up. Now E* will be playing catchup.. I have both. I have lots of HD to watch. :) I don't feel slighted at all when D* adds something that E* doesn't have. OR vise versa.. I watch em all..

I agree as well... it's getting stupid, counting PPV, E/W feeds, part time channels, etc, just to try and have the highest number. Uneducated people will choose based on those stupid channel counts (which, I guess, is the whole reason they do it) without realizing what they're actually getting compared to what they really want to watch.

Scobuck - Can you confirm once and for all that MSG-HD is included in the "coming soon" category. I've seen so many posts that say Dolan will never let it go to satellite. But D* now includes the logo on their site and I really don't think they would do that unless they had an agreement in place for this year. I also never understood why so many think he won't let D* carry the HD signal when they already carry the SD signal. Any thoughts??

I won't use the word confirm, but I was told that MSG-HD AND FSNY-HD will be coming to DirecTV shortly.

I could care less about the number. D* is adding all the channels that I want and is planning to add more of what i want so Im happy. PQ is great so I cant complain there either. :up

I could care less about the number. D* is adding all the channels that I want and is planning to add more of what i want so Im happy. PQ is great so I cant complain there either. :up

I agree, As far as channel counting goes Directv is going to win this anyway you want to add it up!

The only thing that could even slow down the process is if D11 blows up on the launch pad or turns out to be a dud.

Just glad I stuck it out and waited for D* HD to pull into the #1 spot.:)

Matt

Status
Please reply by conversation.