HD vs SD Satellite pointing direction question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK thanks. Something just occurred to me, yes I know I am slow sometimes, but it seems you all are saying that even though the tech is supposed to come back to install the SD boxes he may pull the same thing and say he can not install given that I am hearing that the width I need is the same for both SD and HD. Am I correct? He just said he did not have any SD boxes so could not install not that he would if he had them. No one really answered my question regarding SD vs HD differences, as far as the viewing width I need to have clear of trees, so I figure I need to make sure I understand what you are telling me. So am I better to postpone the original appointment and try to see if an independent tech will install in the original location? If so, what do I tell DTV in this case?

Thx Jerry

OK thanks. Something just occurred to me, yes I know I am slow sometimes, but it seems you all are saying that even though the tech is supposed to come back to install the SD boxes he may pull the same thing and say he can not install given that I am hearing that the width I need is the same for both SD and HD. Am I correct? He just said he did not have any SD boxes so could not install not that he would if he had them. No one really answered my question regarding SD vs HD differences, as far as the viewing width I need to have clear of trees, so I figure I need to make sure I understand what you are telling me. So am I better to postpone the original appointment and try to see if an independent tech will install in the original location? If so, what do I tell DTV in this case?

Thx Jerry
See what D* has to say first (Installer) ...
D* techs need to find a location that will be clear for at least 2 years.
The Local guy doesn't have the same stipulations, thus may be more willing to do the install.
The HD signal works off of a different signal than the SD does, SD is more stable.

Thx Jerry

The hd satellites flank the sd one, so you do need a wider viewing angle for hd.

I called DTV and they said I need to be able to get 4 of the 5 satellites in the SW direction for HD. Guess I need to make a view finder so I know where the satellites are positioned if that is possible.

I tried to call the closest local installer listed on the DTV site but the number listed is no longer in service. The next closest place is well over 50 miles away and they do not answer. I guess they are busy. So it looks like I am either stuck with SD, cutting trees down or moving. Or some combination of these choices. :)

Again, Thx for all your help and suggestions, Jerry

If they told you that you have to see 4 satellites, they gave you wrong information. You need to see 99, 101, and 103.

I wondered about that but who am I to argue :)
Now that I am cutting trees down, is there any way that I can approximate where the sats are so I can make the hole through the trees large enough and in the correct position for receiving HD? I know how to approximate the one, 101 I guess it is, since everyone said that is where the SD here comes from. Is there a website that shows a picture of the locations of the various satellites as seen from ground level for different zip codes or something like this so I can get an idea of what I need to be able to see?
Thx,
Jerry

The best way is with the dishpointer app for a smartphone. It will show you exactly where the satellites are located. It's $20, but worth it.

As before I don't have a smartphone or any other, just a land line here. But in any case I think it all became a moot point. I was looking at the users guide for HD receivers and there is no coaxial output on them. Only one of my TVs has hookups that these boxes will work with anyway so I guess I have to stick with SD. That also means one box per TV which is a pain. Sure would have been nice if the DTV people had mentioned what connectors were required when I told them I was planning to get an HD TV soon so figured it was a good time to go ahead and get the receivers with this package rather than having to pay a big fee to license an HD box later. Not happy, but I am sure glad I found out now rather than when the installer showed up and could not hook up the receivers.

I may still finish clearing trees so the dish can be mounted on the house then I will not have to worry about it again in the near future but at least it will not need to be so wide.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I really appreciate you being here.
Jerry

You can use the outputs from the Directv box to the white/red/yellow inputs on a vcr. Then send the coax from the vcr to your television.

I wondered about that but who am I to argue :)
Now that I am cutting trees down, is there any way that I can approximate where the sats are so I can make the hole through the trees large enough and in the correct position for receiving HD? I know how to approximate the one, 101 I guess it is, since everyone said that is where the SD here comes from. Is there a website that shows a picture of the locations of the various satellites as seen from ground level for different zip codes or something like this so I can get an idea of what I need to be able to see?
Thx,
Jerry

Try here:

Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

That said, they are only 2* each side of the 101.
It is a little more than that because the radius of the Earth closes the gap. From Washington DC, the angle between 99.2W and 102.8W is 4.6 degrees. While each is only 1.8 degrees apart from the center of the Earth, they are 2.3 degrees apart from the surface (a slightly less than 28% difference).

It is a little more than that because the radius of the Earth closes the gap. From Washington DC, the angle between 99.2W and 102.8W is 4.6 degrees. While each is only 1.8 degrees apart from the center of the Earth, they are 2.3 degrees apart from the surface (a slightly less than 28% difference).

Whatever .... it's 99*, 101* and 103* as you know, which is 2* apart each.

I know your well aware of this.

Would you like to figure out home many miles apart thay are and how for from your dish as well ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)