HDD or DVR for Roku?

Nope.

Could you rig something? Probably.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Nope.

Could you rig something? Probably.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It's intriguing to me the possibility of rigging a small, dedicated PC with a lot of hard drive space to record HDMI-out from a ROKU. Never done something like that, and a proprietary software would make it a lot easier, but it sounds interesting. This guy has done the same thing for OTA. Wish he would just sell the software only. www.thepcdeals.com/

I'm sure there are some crazy work arounds if you try hard enough but I'm not sure why it would be necessary in most cases. Almost everything I watch on the Roku is already available on demand if I want to watch it again later. I can see why you would want to for PPV type rentals but I'm sure they use HDCP. I know I have gotten a HDCP error a couple times from Netflix when something didn't handshake properly.

Season passes of shows on Amazon or other services are not rentals. You are actually buying the show just like you would on DVD so you can watch it as often as you like. I guess there are some live Roku channels. What exactly do you want to record from your Roku.

I'm sure there are some crazy work arounds if you try hard enough but I'm not sure why it would be necessary in most cases. Almost everything I watch on the Roku is already available on demand if I want to watch it again later. I can see why you would want to for PPV type rentals but I'm sure they use HDCP. I know I have gotten a HDCP error a couple times from Netflix when something didn't handshake properly.

Season passes of shows on Amazon or other services are not rentals. You are actually buying the show just like you would on DVD so you can watch it as often as you like. I guess there are some live Roku channels. What exactly do you want to record from your Roku.

I was just thinking it might be nice to have a way to archive programming from the Roku

I was just thinking it might be nice to have a way to archive programming from the Roku

Like I said, there are probably work arounds if you are willing to put enough effort into it. There are work arounds for almost everything these days. I just wouldn't know how to do it.

There are recording devices that will record HDMI, but not if it HDCP protection. This box will do that
http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr_rocket.html

It can also record composite and component in as well.

It is normally used for recording game play. I have used it to record TV shows from a satellite receiver but not PPV or Premium channels. They have HDCP protection.

I have seen some workarounds for HDCP but don't know they work or not.

I could do that now, to my DVD recorder with a built in hard drive, but not in HD. The problem would be realistically it would mostly have to be an attended recording. Not because of the recorder that has several timing choices, but the Roku would need to be on the channel and streaming.

I didn't realize there was any encryption beyond the normal pay-TV scrambling. Is HDCP like what macrovision was in the early 90's?

Sort of, HDCP is encryption over the HDMI. HDMI does not have to be encrypted, but a box that has an HDMI connector can require the connection to be encrypted or refuse to use the HDMI output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)