HDMI and DVI

Vreesar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 17, 2004
Chicago Suburbs
Ok got a question. Not sure if any out there have tried this but here's my question. I have a TH-50PX20 or 50" Panasonic Plasma that has HDMI instead of DVI. As I understand it Voom receivers don't support HDMI yet. However, reading through the TV manual it suggested that if the source is DVI to get a DVI to HDMI cable converter and it would work. What you all think? Stick with Component or go look for a cable that converts from DVI to HDMI?

Since the Voom STB has all output active at the same time, you can leave your component hookup in place, buy a DVI/HDMI cable, and hook that up too. Then you can switch back and forth and test for yourself.

As long as you get the cable from somewhere that will take it back if you don't like it, go ahead and try it out. I noticed a small difference in doing exactly what you describe, and now have both hookups active. The HDMI hookup is the one I use all the time now.

Tip on getting the cable: Be sure that there is a return policy. I bought a Monster Cable at the local Best Buy to try it out. I liked the results, and ordered virtually the same cable over the internet for half the price, then took the original cable back to Best Buy. They (BB) took it back with no questions asked, as long as you do that within 30 days.

Remember when converting from HDMI to DVI, the signal stays digital, so there is absolutely no reason to buy a fancy nitrogen shielded triple protected magnetically balanced cosmically neutral Monster Cable or any other high end cable. Just buy one, and if you plug it in and you see your picture, it's as good as any other cable.

The Stone Man said:
Tip on getting the cable: Be sure that there is a return policy. I bought a Monster Cable at the local Best Buy to try it out. I liked the results, and ordered virtually the same cable over the internet for half the price, then took the original cable back to Best Buy. They (BB) took it back with no questions asked, as long as you do that within 30 days.

Just an FYI about the link to DVI Gear that I posted. They will do returns UNCONDITIONALLY if you are not satisfied. Call them up before ordering if you want to.

http://www2.dvigear.com/info.html

The cable on this website is $47.95 plus shipping. BB has Monster for about $129. Virtually the same cable. DeArgila is right about the return policy at dvigear. This makes the decision a lot easier.

Anybody know which input to put the auxillary audio cable into a Samsung DLP when you are using DVI to HDMI?

hdmi audio

I would make sure the plug actually does anything other than operate the Samsung TV speakers (which is exactly what the "special" HDMI audio plug on the Mitsubishi DLP TV does) if I wanted to enjoy DD 5.1, etc.

Vreesar said:
Ok got a question. Not sure if any out there have tried this but here's my question. I have a TH-50PX20 or 50" Panasonic Plasma that has HDMI instead of DVI. As I understand it Voom receivers don't support HDMI yet. However, reading through the TV manual it suggested that if the source is DVI to get a DVI to HDMI cable converter and it would work. What you all think? Stick with Component or go look for a cable that converts from DVI to HDMI?

Best Buy has an HDMI to DVI Adaptor ($25.00) plug the fits on the end of the standard supplied voom cable.

I have both the Component (rgb) and HDMI Outputs connected to my Sony.

Threv said:
Best Buy has an HDMI to DVI Adaptor ($25.00) plug the fits on the end of the standard supplied voom cable.

I have both the Component (rgb) and HDMI Outputs connected to my Sony.
I have same thing i think a 50 inch lcd project sony with voom box running component.I do like the clarity but i wanted to find an adapter and try the dvi to hdmi setup and see if there is a difference.MAy i ask you by having both hooked up at same time how do you switch back and forth to see a difference?Also what was your outcome in clarity cause to me digital seems like it would be way better than component.

bigmarkhd said:
MAy i ask you by having both hooked up at same time how do you switch back and forth to see a difference?

As the STB has all outputs active at the same time, you would need to utilize your TV's input switching function to change between the two. So, plug the HDMI into input 1 on your TV and the component connections to input 2 on your TV. Then switch your TV between sources.

As far as the adapter being heavy, I purchased mine from Best Buy 3 weeks ago, its about the size of a match box and weighs next to nothing. It ran me $40.00 or so if I remember right, the cables are more like $100.00. I bought the adapter instead because I had the DVI cable supplied by Voom to use.

SactoCal said:
As far as the adapter being heavy, I purchased mine from Best Buy 3 weeks ago, its about the size of a match box and weighs next to nothing. It ran me $40.00 or so if I remember right, the cables are more like $100.00. I bought the adapter instead because I had the DVI cable supplied by Voom to use.

I bought a 6ft DVI-HDMI cable from cablewholesale.com for $21. It works. If you live in the Bay Area you can pick it up from Pleasanton and save on the shipping. I read somewhere that a cable is better than an adaptor, but don't know if it's true or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)