HDMI outlet failed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blueridge66

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Northern AZ
As background, I live in an area that has frequent summertime thunder storms which can cause short (less than 2 sec) power outages. The storm doesn't have to be local as power feeding our area has a 40 mile cross county run. When the storm is local we unplug everything.
I've had HDMI outputs fail previously on a H20 receiver and now the HR22 receiver's HDMI outlet failed after the TV went off and immediately (less than a sec.) back on. The DTV receiver is plugged into a UPS battery backup but the TV isn't. The component outlet works OK but I need both.
Questions: Are failures of this type typical or rare? Any equipment setup tips that I should be aware of to reduce or eliminate future problems?

It happens, but I have read only a few posts here about it. Why not plug your television into the UPS?

I despise HDMI. I had to send my AV reciever in for repair because of the stresses that the cables put on the connection. Combine that with the digital lock down they impose with it, and the unbroken chain bologna and its the worst thing ever created.

It happens, but I have read only a few posts here about it. Why not plug your television into the UPS?
The logistics of snaking an extension cord from the existing UPS was why I hadn't plugged in the TV. However I decided to just buy another dedicated UPS for the TV since these short cycle power outages can't be good for it.
I did find one discussion on the DTV forum of a failed HDMI port after a storm but it also took out 2 HDMI ports on the TV. One recommendation was to cycle thru the resolutions and for one it restored the port's output. Didn't work in my case.
Right now I'm up and running via the component port but had to run some temporary cabling.
I'll call DTV for their response.

Thought I'd close the loop on this. I called DTV and explained all the various checks, cable and input swaps I had gone thru to comfirm the HDMI output wasn't working. The CSR said generally they tell the customer to just use the component output but since I needed both they would send a replacement unit. In 3 days Fedex delivered a refurbished HR22. Cost to me was $21 shipping. While a HR24 would have been nice I'm satisfied with the response and turn around.
In the meantime the TV is now plugged into a UPS to reduce further problems.

The CSR said generally they tell the customer to just use the component output but since I needed both they would send a replacement unit.

That's BS. Anyone who they tell that to should tell them to put a $100 credit on your bill. $50 for the HDMI cable you can no longer use, and $50 for the component cable you have to go out and buy. (yes I know you can get them for a few bucks and most of us have extras laying around, but its the principle of the thing - you tell them you only use Monster brand :D). You have a piece of leased equipment that no longer operates as advertised, it should be replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:
JerseyMatt said:
That's BS. Anyone who they tell that to should tell them to put a $100 credit on your bill. $50 for the HDMI cable you can no longer use, and $50 for the component cable you have to go out and buy. (yes I know you can get them for a few bucks and most of us have extras laying around, but its the principle of the thing - you tell them you only use Monster brand :D). You have a piece of leased equipment that no longer operates as advertised, it should be replaced.

I agree, what if I wanted to rent and watch a blu-ray quality movie from cinema plus? The most I can get out of any cable other then HDMI is 1080i so there for Directv isn't giving me the 1080p I'm paying for and I would demand it be replaced. However, they kind of have the upper hand because on the lease agreement is says they are NOT liable for any power surges so it could possibly a lost cause.

You play dumb. You never tell them there was a lightning storm, you tell them it just stopped working. And surge damage that doesn't annihilate the power supply is tough to prove anyway. I know port damage happens though because it happened to my PS3 - the pole behind my house got struck by lightning, fried every surge protector in the house, including the one at the breaker box. The PS3 survived the hit, with the exception of the HDMI port and the router the PS3 was connected to had that port fried (but mysteriously the network port on the PS3 still worked!).

ANYWAY

You can also tell them that you use 3D, which requires HDMI too. But I like the demand of a credit for having to go out and buy a cable.. :D

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)