HDMI/VIP622/Sony KDL-40S2000 - No Picture

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
Due to all the DCRM rumors, I decided to try my HDMI hookup (in addition to the component hookup).

My HDMI input on my TV is Video 6. But after connecting my HDMI cable to both the receiver and the TV, I'm getting nothing through input 6.

Is there some settings I need to change on the receiver? TV?

I tried turning it all off and on, rebooting the receiver, running the digital autoprogram on the TV, nothing helped. Even tried the menu-6-3 HDMI reset (whatever that does).

Dish's CSR wasn't any help either, nor was Sony's.

I'd assume the HDMI cable itself is fine, I got the thickest gauge monoprice 6 foot cable.

Could it be my HDMI port is bad like so many others (even though it's never been used)? I know it's hard to tell what model of the 622 you have and if it's with the reinforced HDMI port or not (if it helps any, mine has a screw above the HDMI port and says HDTV under the port rather than HDMI). I got my 622 about October of '06.

Last edited:
Just a couple of thoughts.

Did you try the diagnostics and hdmi test (sorry im at work and dont rmemeber the menu items) when with the Dish tech ? I havent myself but i heard on here that others said it helped.

Have you got any other hdmi devices so you can eliminate the tv and cable ?

Did you run the HDMI test? Menu 6, 3, Analysis, HDMI test.

What dis it report (especilally status 1 and status 2)?

Did the HDMI port see the TV at all?

Dish Tech should have run you through this.

Dish Tech did not run me through the HDMI diagnostics/test, but I'll give it a shot!

What exactly should I look for?

Dish Tech did not run me through the HDMI diagnostics/test, but I'll give it a shot!

What exactly should I look for?
I am willing to bet your Video 6 input is not HDMI. Usually HDMI inputs are HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and HDMI 3 if you have that many. The 622 HDMI analysis will verify that the HDMI is being seen. It will be on the first page of the report. You can also do an HDMI test on the menu page.

Ok, looks like my 622 recognizes my TV, I see "Sony TV" in the diagnostics.

My manual clearly states input 6 is HDMI. But I did try the others anyway, no luck...

Last edited:
I've got a similar thread going here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/119054-l448-hdmi-issue.html

My HDMI output on my 622 was working fine one night, and then the next morning I was met with a black screen.

I tried almost everything to get it fixed, as you can see if you read my post, and even had Dish ship me a replacement 622. When I powered the new receiver on, everything was displaying perfectly through HDMI until it updated the receiver (after running the check switch, but before receiver activation). After it rebooted, I was once again met with a black screen.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried yet is updating the firmware on my television. I may do that over the weekend, but I've switched to components for now. Hope you get your problem resolved.

Last edited:
Interesting. Frustrating too.

I'll be interested to know if the firmware update did the trick! And if so...how you did that!

Do we think this could be unique to Dish or anything hooked up through HDMI (DirecTV, U-verse, HD DVD, Blue-Ray, etc.)?

Have you got any other hdmi devices so you can eliminate the tv and cable ?

I think this is key. Did you try another HDMI device (DVD Player, Game Console, etc.)? That will verify if it is you 622 or the TV. Sounds like it might be the folks at Sony that you need to be talking to. I have the Vizio VU42LF and I had an HDMI2 port go bad, but when that happened, it would flash between the input and the "No Signal Found" message.

The component still works?

And probably an extremely stupid question, but your input six on the tv is on channel 3 or whatever it's supposed to be on?

The component still works?

And probably an extremely stupid question, but your input six on the tv is on channel 3 or whatever it's supposed to be on?

Yes, component works fine. I'm wondering, since the 622 recognizes the Sony TV, will it NOT downres the picture through component once they start using the DCRM?

Not a dumb question at all...what channel should it be on?? I could've swore I tried that already but I fiddled around with so much I may have lost track...

They always say your tv should be on channel 3 or 4, I believe, with a set-top-box. It seems to me it's always channel 3. But if your component input is working I think the tv must be on the right channel. I don't think you have to set the channel for each input but I'm not sure.

you dont set a channel for component on any tv ive ever used, i think you confusing it with the coax type of connection.
You select the input, component 1 2 etc. My sony as stated above is input 4 for component. My HDMI is input 6, 7 is pc/vga

you dont set a channel for component on any tv ive ever used, i think you confusing it with the coax type of connection.
You select the input, component 1 2 etc. My sony as stated above is input 4 for component. My HDMI is input 6, 7 is pc/vga

You are correct. I was mistaken. I guess I was thinking of coax connections on an analog tv. My main tv now is a Sony HDTV and my inputs are as you stated.

I'm terribly sorry if I caused you any confusion, kovach!

You are correct. I was mistaken. I guess I was thinking of coax connections on an analog tv. My main tv now is a Sony HDTV and my inputs are as you stated.

I'm terribly sorry if I caused you any confusion, kovach!

No apology necessary!

My HDMI port dies on my 622.. I had a replacement sent... It worked for a few days and then it stopped working again... I had it replaced and fought to get a 722. I have never had a problem with a 722 and HDMI.

So if the HDMI port is dead...does it still recognize the TV? Mine still says it sees "Sony TV" week/year "50/2005" (I guess that's the namufacture date?).

mine didnt, as i think it was a hardware issue, i.e the port got disconnected from the main board and so there was no connection to be had. but others may have different experiences. As Hall and others have noted my issue is with bad design where the weight of the hdmi cable broke the port away inside the case. I now have lighter cables from Monoprice so hope the replacement sent today will fix that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts