HDTV help

AJV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Cadillac, Michigan
Planning on getting a new HDTV to replace the one I have in the living room, that is 42", 72lbs, 450 watts. Looking for larger screen (46"to 50") that
is lighter and uses less power. It will be mount on my entertainment center from rear mounting. Is there any noticeable difference between 60hz. and 120hz.? Just wondering what bells or whistles I should be looking for? Any experienced input would be appreciated.

AL

What Don said. In addition, LED sets are more energy efficient. The edge lit ones are very light for the size. The backlit ones can do zone backlighting which provides better contrast for deep blacks. However, they cost more.

Best bang for the buck is a 1080P 120 Hz edge lit LED set.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Is 3D a good option that I should consider? How about WiFi, or any other options?

Thanks again.

AL

depends. If you like 3D, go for it. The added price in the TV is pretty low. Cost is in the glasses, the BluRay player and the source material.

You can usually do better on internet connectivity with the add on boxes. Virtually every BluRay player now has streaming options. The Roku and Boxee are well under $100 and allow you to hook up a wide variety of internet channels. The built in internet is usually pretty limited to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and youtube.

How are you getting your programming? OTA, cable or satellite. If over the air, you might want to look at how to connect your TV tuner to an external receiver or soundbar. The HDMI audio return feature and/or the TOSLINK audio output allow you to hook up and get much better audio through an external receiver/soundbar. TV audio is consistently lousy and I can't think of a current brand where I would use the built in speakers. Put your extra money into fixing the sound.

What you need depends on what you watch. Do you watch a lot of SD content (VHS tapes, CCTV cameras)?

Most modern TVs do a pretty decent job with SD but the really cheap TVs will probably always butcher it.

3D is probably not something most will pursue unless they can't get enough of it. Consider a passive set if you're not sure as the glasses are much less expensive.

Unless you think it is just what the doctor ordered, I'd stay away from "smart" TVs as the technology changes too fast and external boxes are pretty cheap.

Thanks for all the input. I get all my TV from OTA and FTA. I ended up getting the 47" Visio 3D television. Don't know if I will use
the 3D part and the internet part, but the price was cheaper than the ones I was looking at without the 3D. And I suppose it is
better have and not want, than want and not have. It uses less that 1/5th the power and over 30 lbs. light. Working good for now,
but saved all the packaging so if I need to take it back.

AL

That is what I replaced in my living room was a 42". My wife said that she thought it would be bigger. I guess I should have gotten
a larger set. Who would have thought.

AL

Thanks for all the input. I get all my TV from OTA and FTA. I ended up getting the 47" Visio 3D television. Don't know if I will use
the 3D part and the internet part, but the price was cheaper than the ones I was looking at without the 3D. And I suppose it is
better have and not want, than want and not have. It uses less that 1/5th the power and over 30 lbs. light. Working good for now,
but saved all the packaging so if I need to take it back.

AL

Its a good set. I have a 42inch version of this in our spare bedroom/gym, and it works great.

Well, I took the 47" 3D Visio back and got the 55" 2D LED Visio. And this one was by suggestion of the wife.
Still 22 lbs. lighter that the 42" and less power than the 47" Visio. So far it is looking good.

AL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts