HDTV power consumption

rdharper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
I was about to buy a Sony Bravia 37" HDTV on the basis the rear projection DLP TV's have the lowest power consumption per square inch.

I was somewhat surprised to find that the TV actually draws 200 watts.

My 27" JVC CRT draws 127 watts.

Ok, so who cares. Well I have to, as I generate all our power with a hydro system... about 1.8kw. But things add up.

So what I need is a 32" HDTV with no more than 130watt draw to justify the upgrade. I believe what is going on here is that while screen efficiency is significantly higher with the DLP technology, all the processing power that goes into HDTV takes the power consumption back above the old simple CRT SD design.

So anyone else care about this? Anyone know of "the lowest" 32" HDTV (not a front projector)... or a site that keeps track of this stuff?

I was about to buy a Sony Bravia 37" HDTV on the basis the rear projection DLP TV's have the lowest power consumption per square inch.

I was somewhat surprised to find that the TV actually draws 200 watts.

My 27" JVC CRT draws 127 watts.

Ok, so who cares. Well I have to, as I generate all our power with a hydro system... about 1.8kw. But things add up.

So what I need is a 32" HDTV with no more than 130watt draw to justify the upgrade. I believe what is going on here is that while screen efficiency is significantly higher with the DLP technology, all the processing power that goes into HDTV takes the power consumption back above the old simple CRT SD design.

So anyone else care about this? Anyone know of "the lowest" 32" HDTV (not a front projector)... or a site that keeps track of this stuff?

Then check out TVs that have the Energy Star label they are the ones that draw the lowest wattage.The site you want is Home : ENERGY STAR .;)

Then check out TVs that have the Energy Star label they are the ones that draw the lowest wattage.The site you want is Home : ENERGY STAR .;)

Thanks, but they don't list the power consumption. I checked a few with google, they are consistent with the DLP's I've checked.

Again, its not the DLP tech, its the best energy-wise (screen efficiency in watts per square inch), its all the processing power added to make HD work.

Too bad, I wanted to upgrade.

Thanks, but they don't list the power consumption. I checked a few with google, they are consistent with the DLP's I've checked.

Again, its not the DLP tech, its the best energy-wise (screen efficiency in watts per square inch), its all the processing power added to make HD work.

Too bad, I wanted to upgrade.

Energy Star labeled products are the most energy efficient products available
unless you want to try and power your TV with solar or hook up the TV to a generator that's connected to a exercise bike and pedal your way to energy independence.;)

They don't list the power consumption but it states that Energy Star products
use 30% less power than non Energy Star products.I have went to sites for TVs that you can download the TV's Owner's Manual and the information you seek is normally in there.;)

P.S. The new DLP's have the LED light engine and the bulbs last alot longer than the others.Also I believe the most energy efficient HDTV on the market today is an LCD HDTV with the Energy Star label.;)

Energy Star labeled products are the most energy efficient products available
unless you want to try and power your TV with solar or hook up the TV to a generator that's connected to a exercise bike and pedal your way to energy independence.;)

They don't list the power consumption but it states that Energy Star products
use 30% less power than non Energy Star products.I have went to sites for TVs that you can download the TV's Owner's Manual and the information you seek is normally in there.;)

P.S. The new DLP's have the LED light engine and the bulbs last alot longer than the others.Also I believe the most energy efficient HDTV on the market today is an LCD HDTV with the Energy Star label.;)

I believe I stated in my first post that I run a hydro system we built back in 1975. We have paid no utility bills for 32 years. We are "energy independant". Zero polluters. Zero carbon footprint... as silly as that label is.

Also, you are incorrect. DLP LCD is significantly more efficient (2x per square inch), which is why I was looking for one that meets my requirements. None do... so far. The Energy Star rating is a relative scale. It is a fairly useless rating as it is a relative rating. I could explain further if you wish. What we need is absolute numbers which they won't provide as they are afraid this might affect their sale. The fact that the info is stamped on the back was a result of law. (not that I like such laws in general.. I'm a capitalist by nature)

As to how to find the info, you are right, you can download the manuals. But this is not quick. A faster way is to google the model followed by power consumption. Even that is too slow for me.

Otherwise thanks for taking the time. :)

The Olevia 532H (32" LCD) uses 78 watts on HD material using the 'dark room' setting.

I was not aware of yet another variable... "dark room", energy saving mode etc. That introduces another variable... thanks for the info on that.

Did you actually measure that, or is that number (78watts) from a manual?

How watchable is that in a dark room? I'm assuming you have one... they are priced well enough. How do you like it?

The 532 uses .5 watts on 'standby', 78, 94 and 119 watts for 'dark, medium and bright room' settings respectively. The readings were taken with a WATTS-UP logging power meter. As an aside, a DTV H20 Receiver uses 30 watts 24/7.

The dark-room setting is preferable to me even in daylight conditions.

The Olevia seems fine to me, but I have nothing to compare it with. It was the press in CR that motivated me.

The 532 uses .5 watts on 'standby', 78, 94 and 119 watts for 'dark, medium and bright room' settings respectively. The readings were taken with a WATTS-UP logging power meter. As an aside, a DTV H20 Receiver uses 30 watts 24/7.

The dark-room setting is preferable to me even in daylight conditions.

The Olevia seems fine to me, but I have nothing to compare it with. It was the press in CR that motivated me.

Excellent info and help.. thanks!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts