HDTV Rumor Watch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Like metioned in the article there is not 100 HD Channels but those that Direct is plan on adding is just mainly Local Channels in HD.. Which Dish is doing the same but overall even when Direct adds the Locals in HD Dish wil still be the HD Leader due to the "Other Network Channels" they have which Direct does not have. So if you want to do HD Dish is by far the way to go..

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hdrumors3092606.htm

News Feature
The HDTV Rumor Watch, Volume III
Does DIRECTV have a secret plan for HD channels; and what's up with those fuzzy high-def cameras?
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (September 26, 2006) -- Editor's Note: 'The HDTV Rumor Watch' is a new department at TVPredictions.com. The occasional feature will include the latest gossip about High-Definition channel launches and related news.

Rumor #1
DIRECTV will offer 100 national High-Definition TV channels by the 2006 holidays.

The Truth: No way. The rumor was started a week ago after News Corp. Chairman Rupert Murdoch told an investors conference that the satcaster would have 100 HDTV channels by year's end. (News Corp. owns a controlling interest in DIRECTV.)

However, Murdoch simply misspoke. For starters, there are not 100 national high-def channels available at this time; the actual number is about half that amount. And second, DIRECTV is planning to launch two new satellites to expand its high-def lineup, but they won't be operational until next year.

Today's Meredith Vieira.

Rumor #2
The networks are using filters on their high-def cameras so older TV personalities will look younger.

The Truth: Yes, it's happening. Both Good Morning America and The Today Show, for example, are now using HD lens filters to soften the aging signs of hosts Diane Sawyer and Meredith Vieira, industry sources tell TVPredictions.com. While the practice may upset high-def purists, network officials believe it's necessary to keep the on-air talent looking young and fresh.

Rumor #3
INHD 2 has been removed from the air.

The Truth: Not yet it hasn't. While the sister network to INHD has been dropped in some cities, it's still available in Boston, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. However, the parent company of INHD and INHD 2 acknowledges that the two channels could merge in the near future.

Rumor #4
Cable operators will announce that they plan to launch a certain high-def channel but then fail to add it in select cities.

The Truth: Yes, it's true. For instance, Comcast announced last month that it would add MHD, MTV Networks' high-def channel. However, the channel is still unavailable in some markets. Why? A variety of reasons ranging from local system space to audience demographics; some markets may skew old and therefore might be less interested in a music HDTV network. Unlike satellite, cable is local. Every system has a different lineup and agenda.

Rumor #5
Katie Couric left The Today Show because NBC decided to broadcast the program in high-def.

The Truth: Not hardly. Couric left Today because CBS offered the opportunity of a lifetime. While the news diva may not like how she looks in high-def, she would have happily stayed on at Today, collecting her millions, if CBS had not come calling.

However, I am amazed at how often I hear people say Couric split because she was afraid of the high-def cameras. Look, if Meredith Vieira can handle HD, Katie could have, too.

Rumor #6Universal HD will stop broadcasting in 2007.

The Truth: While the NBC-owned network is struggling, there's no indication that it will be pulled. In fact, Comcast recently added the channel in several markets, which should give it a boost. However, Universal HD's lineup of stale repeats and circa 1980s repeats such as Knight Rider needs to be revamped if it will ultimately succeed. Look for big changes in 2007.

In reference to your statement at the top:

1) Dish has more HD now, but D* should be caught up in 1 year. What are Dish's plans for launching new sats to compete as the only reason they are ahead is the sat deal they worked out with Voom (i think).

2) From what I've seen Dish is going to be a good ways behind on E* on locals, is this not correct?

Locals is what matters to me now. 90% of my nightly programming is on locals which are programs that are broadcasted in HD. Sports on locals is also very important and D* has ESPN and ESPN2 which is great.

The other channels that Dish brags about are honestly crap, only thing they can brag about is offering more quantity, not quality. D* will have HD locals over the US a good bit quicker than Dish and that's why I'm sticking with D*. Once the new sats go up next year D* and Dish will both be offering the same crappy channels that are HD now because none of the good channels yet offer HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)