HDTV sets ran by a dvd player!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Ok folks, HDTV sets have been out for 5+ years.

Now rewind to 2004, walk into any sears, or walmart,etc.

You have direct view SDTV's and some older analog only sets.

They were fed using a coax cable, which was fine for those old sd sets.

Now fast forward to 2009, we have plasma's, oled, 240 hz lcd.

So i walk into sears today to look at some Tv's.

The pq was ok, but the fun factor was one flag (six flags ad reference)

So i ask what they were playing on these Tv's, and I get:

"Its just an old dvd that cooperate sets up for us."

So they are playing old dvd's on a new 1080p set??

So i ask them if this one tv has s-video; "i think so", so they turn the tv around, and what do I see?? Coax cable, yes 75 ohm rg-6 going into 300 to 3,000 dollar tv's.

I mean, cant you at least have s-video? it would look alot better!

So i go into kmart and they have a coax distro system feeding their sets.

Walmart, has componet, which is ok but not as great as hdmi.

So when i was in sears again, i saw the sony 42" full hd set, their flagship product, being fed with rca cables on composite!

So i wonder why sales haven't picked up? Use componet, at least, hdmi would be better!

I guess they're going with what they customers have access to.

Getting to see something in HD is a bonus for many customers who typically have basic satellite/cable and a DVD player or two.

First, why would you want S-Video on an HDTV?That's the last thing anyone would ask for on a new HDTV. And HDTV's have been around longer than 5 years. All new DVD players and Home Theaters are going to have component and HDMI connections. Second, many stores don't have an HD feed for their display models. It's an added expense. Wal-Marts feed comes from their satellite . I would say that Best Buy uses the same technology. And third, there was RG-6, if that's truly what it was, connected to each tv because 1 DVD player was being distributed thru a splitter to all the tv's there.

If you're shopping for a new HDTV, here are a few suggestions.

Price,Style, and Size.

Look at sets that are in your price range. Of those sets, do you want plasma, lcd, etc. And then look at size.

Don't assume that a coax means NTSC analog.

I took a closer look at Best Buy a few weeks ago and discovered that they were modulating a BluRay output into an ATSC modulator and feeding that to the wall of displays. Picture wasn't awful, probably 720P.

And the difference between component video and HDMI as far as PQ is pretty darn slim.

The problem of retail outlets feeding crap to display units is not new; it has been an issue for a long time. Made worse since flat-panels came out, which do such a horrible job with SD feeds.

What's on the back of these sets has little to do with the slack sales except when its obvious to a 5 yr old that somethings wrong. For many the idea is if it aint broke dont fix it so why get rid of a perfectly working CRT set and with the economy the way it is you make due with what you got so long as its working. Another thing is that the prices are still relatively high even with some of the price drops in the last two years so the expense is still more than what the larger portion of society can afford which are those who are at poverty level wages or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)