HDTV: What antenna model is this? Will an amplifier improve signal or a new antenna?

outdoordog

Original poster
May 30, 2009
MD, USA
What kind of antenna is this old one that was given to me? (see photo attachment) I don't have any info on the model. It looks like the CM-2016HD but without the 2 long side bars. It seems like some type of Yagi.

My antennaweb.org antenna type color rating shows 1 yellow channel, 3 blue and 7 violet. I am 35.6-37.0 miles from a large group of transmitters within 3 compass degrees of each other and I aimed it right at them. I get 31 strong HD/digital channels (4.1 to 66.4) and 3 analog channels come in too. Based on that, this antenna must be VHF, UHF, and analog.

Also, when I unplug the grouding block, I get 5 more digital channels and 2 more analog channels. Would an amplifier such as Winegard® AP-8275 VHF/UHF Pre-Amplifier work? (RadioShack.com - the nation's most experienced and trusted consumer electronics specialty retailers.?
productId=3364948&tab=features)

Would any of the below 3 compact antennas be an upgrade to mine or would they get less channels? (Because of HOA I can't get an antenna larger than 39-41") I tried a homemade HD square mesh antenna (like the CM-4221HD 4-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna) and no stations came in until I tested it 10 miles from the transmitters.

1) CM-2016HD
DIGITAL ADVANTAGEtenna™
HDTV / VHF / UHF TV Antenna
Reception Range
Channels 7 thru 13, 14 thru 69,
UHF, and HD
Channel Master by PCT - Manufacturer of Structured Wiring and Terrestrial/TV Antennas Products

2) HDTVo Terk Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna
*Compact antenna receives both UHF and VHF local HD reception of channels 2-69 to complement your cable and
satellite HDTV service.
*Impedance: 75 ohms
*Includes power injector, 12" mini mast, universal mount and instruction manual
*Amplification improves signal quality and high gain picks up further stations; 12-13dB typical amplifier gain
Terk - Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna - HDTVO

3) STEALTHtenna®
HDTV / VHF / UHF TV Antenna
CM-3010 HDTV
Reception Range
Channels 2 thru 69, HD,
& FM
Up to 45 miles
Channel Master by PCT - Manufacturer of Structured Wiring and Terrestrial / TV Antennas Products (this is 52" long though)

Thanks.

Attachments

• unknown_yagi.jpg
    unknown_yagi.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 618
Your antenna looks like this one from Winegard. I don't think that you will get much if any improvement with those other antennas. A pre-amp added to your antenna should give you the added gain that you need. Where in Maryland are you located? I assume that you are trying for both DC and Baltimore stations.

(Because of HOA I can't get an antenna larger than 39-41")
If your HOA is a problem, download a copy of the OTARD rules and give it to them. You are allowed under Federal Law to put up a TV antenna to get an acceptable quality TV signal. There is no size limitation on TV antennas. There are certain provisions regarding common areas but if the TV antenna is located on your property then it cannot be arbitarily limited in size.

See the blue boom caps? That's a dead giveaway for AntennaCraft and Radio Shack antennas. It's a Radio Shack U-75, a fine antenna made primarily for UHF broadcasts, but with modest VHF capability as well.

None of the three other antennas would surpass the performance of the U-75. The CM2016 would be about the same; the Terk and the Stealth would be noticeably worse.

If you're already getting "strong" Digital/HD signals, a amplifier is very likely to make things worse, not better. Amps are only suitable with long cable runs (> 100 feet), or where there are more than two TVs in the home. Otherwise, they cause tuner overload which kills reception, usually from several stations.

Since you already have 34 channels/subchannels available, I'm a bit mystified as to what you're missing. Are you not receiving one of the big networks, for example?

Finally, more blunt myth-busting: Antennas are dumb. They'll receive radio-frequency energy regardless of whether it's analog or digital. Any statement to the contrary is pure marketing hype!

Last edited:
5 more questions: It gets VHF, why? Aimed right? Grounding block? Connections?...

Looks like I got really lucky getting that antenna. It seems to do more than advertised.

I'll look at OTARD again, I only read the Satellite dish part when I put mine up.

I'm in Adamstown, MD but we are a DC suburb. 20' away there is actually a top center of a 39" satellite between the antenna and the towers. Antennaweb.org says all my stations are at compass 157-160 eccept for a couple. I get all the major channels within 4.1 to 66.4 but I'm curious about how to get more. I only gain a few fringe channels like some of the "Mhz" stations and "WHUT-DT" when I disconnect the grounding block at the antenna. This is the "WHUT-DT" info:

"WHUT-DT"
Antenna type: Blue-UHF
Channel: 32.1
Network: PBS
City: WASHINGTON, DC
Compass heading: 157°
Miles from: 36.0
RF Channel: 33

Thanks for the antenna ID. After closer examination it looks like I have the RadioShack U-75R.

1) The RadioShack listing says it is UHF-Only so why do I get so many (about half) VHF stations crystal clear like this one?:

"WJLA-DT"
Antenna type: Blue-VHF
Channel: 7.1
Network: ABC
City: WASHINGTON, DC
Compass heading: 157°
Miles from: 36.0
RF Channel: 7

2) Do I have it aimed the right way, with the main boom pointing to the stations? I looked at large antennas in older neigborshoods here and their smaller fishbone half of that looks like my entire antenna are aimed south like I did mine.

3) Why does the grounding block make a 5 channel difference in signal loss? I have the grounding block at the antenna, and another on the ground rod.

4) Do I have too many connections? Counting the connection point a the TV, there are 8 connections:

-1- The matching transformer connector on the antenna
-2- The adapter to connect the matching transformer to the grounding block
-3- The grounding block
-4- The 25' down lead (?) cable to the ground rod grounding block
-5- The grounding block
-6- The 12' cable from grounding block to wall plate in house
-7- The connector in the wall plate
-8- The 6' cable from the wall plate to the TV

5) One more - is it too close to the aluminim siding house?

Thanks for your patience!

Glad to help. To answer your questions:

1) See #5 below.

2) Yes, that's exactly how it should be aimed.

3) You only need one grounding block, the one near the ground rod. The upper one is unnecessary and could explain the channel loss. If it's not already in place, you need to run a copper or aluminum grounding wire from the antenna mount and through the lower grounding block, then attach it to the clamp at the top of the grounding rod. At the top of the ground line, loosen one of the bolts securing the mount to the wall, wrap the line around its shaft and re-tighten the bolt. Don't attach the ground line to the antenna itself, or you risk losing all reception. Ground wire is available at R.S. and the big-box home centers.

4) Aside from the extra ground block at the antenna, the connections you describe are typical and A-OK. Any signal loss is so minimal it's not worth worrying about.

5) AHA! Aluminum siding -- that's it! The siding is acting like a giant signal reflector behind the U-75. I think that explains why the antenna does a good job on channel 7. A U-75 at 36 miles out doesn't normally perform very well that far down into the VHF band. Sounds like it's just the right distance away from the siding. I wouldn't change a thing!

Update: I just tested the U-75R with HDTV 4 bay home-made antenna - 2 pics

(First of all, I figured out the aluminum siding was reacting with the U-75R boom because it was touching it so I put it on a support from my old Satellite dish and now I get 5 more channels. it is also higher than my obstructing satellite dish and further from the house)

The test was not really a fair test because the home-made HDTV 4 bay is lower and swings a little in the wind. The U-75R's boom is aimed slightly downward and I have to remedy that. Here's the difference in channels. (I tried this home made antenna before and thought it didn't work but the real problem was that I didn't know how to scan OTA channels)

---------------------------
U-75R [37 DTV / 4 analog channels]

4 (3 chnls)
5 (1 chnls)
7 (3 chnls)
9 (2 chnls)
14 (1 chnls)
20 (1 chnls)
26 (4 chnls)
30 (10 chnls)
32 (1 chnls)
33 (2 chnls, blank / no data)
50 (2 chnls, not clear)
62 (3 chnls)
66 (4 chnls)

Home made HDTV antenna [22 DTV / 1 analog channels]

4 (3 chnls)
5 (1 chnl)
14 (1 chnl, not clear)
30 (10 chnls)
62 (3 chnls)
66 (4 chnls)

Got this one from an attic. It looks like a Combo of the indoor Silver Sensor / CM 4040 and outdoor Terrestrial Digital 42XG but it is not. The refectors appear to be hand-made. I ran a test of it in the same location as the Home made HDTV antenna was in and here's what I got - all came in clear:
[8 DTV / 3 analog channels]

7 (3 chnls)
9 (2 chnls)
62 (3 chnls)

###

Attachments

• HDTV4bay_home-made.JPG
    HDTV4bay_home-made.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 719
  • U-75R_with_HDTV4bay_home-made.JPG
    U-75R_with_HDTV4bay_home-made.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 568
  • combo_SilverSensor_CM4040_Terr-Digital42XG.JPG
    combo_SilverSensor_CM4040_Terr-Digital42XG.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
I live in the Syracuse, NY area and have a Radio Shack U75R with a Channel master Pre-amp and a Channel Master Distribution Amp. The antenna is pointed east and pulls in signals from Utica which is 56 miles away. This is a darn good antenna for the price.

Funny I am in Utica getting Syracuse channels. Also received some Albany channels too.

I live in the Syracuse, NY area and have a Radio Shack U75R with a Channel master Pre-amp and a Channel Master Distribution Amp. The antenna is pointed east and pulls in signals from Utica which is 56 miles away. This is a darn good antenna for the price.

GREAT pics :)

Could you send one of the home made antenna?
I made a few myself.

Did you sand at all the contact points where the wire touch?
Mine is the 4 bay bow tie one with 2X4 and reflector.
Also try another balun on it and see what you get.

I have also tried two 20.5" wires put into a loop, like a figure 8 also call quad loop.
Most I have seen are two squares together BUT I did not go that far.

So the dim of each loop is around 7. Also put a reflector behind it.
Best of all NO balun is need so there is a little less loss.

Good luck and keep us posted.

outdoordog, Your home made antenna looks great but the washers are too close for open antenna wires when rain falls. You can put some "liquid electrical tape" at the junctions so you have better antenna performance during rain. also that small 3rd antenna isnt worth using (bad design).

I see the antenna now :up

I agree the top set looks OK but would like the other poster wrote move the other further apart.
Good job on the rest tho. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)