Hello Carbon Interface, Bye Bye Reliable DVR Experience

Your other options you mentioned not only incur expenses but an STEEP incline in the learning curve of handling multiple devices, their interfaces, cloud recording, if any, etc. I would bet that in two years, you will be happy with your decision, if you chose an H3..

The OTT streaming services work well enough for some, but I just find them a pale shadow of what you get with a traditional linear TV service. Try them before you make a major decision is my advice. If they work for you, great, but you'd definitely lose your existing recording by going down that road. I think they will continue to improve with time, but I am not sure they will ever be everything I am going to want.

My plan is to trial OTT services first and make sure it will work as needed and most importantly that the wife is on board before anything is done. With the carbon update I have had issues successfully moving things to an EHD so recordings will be lost regardless of what I do. As far as the STEEP learning curve, the money I save will easily allow me to add 2 more Kindle TV's (I already have 1) and all TVs will have the same device and interface, plus easy/fast/reliable access to Amazon Prime video and Netflix.

I cant wait until my contract is up-just a few more months. the agreement i stupidly agreed to to get, then get away from the H3.... the techs NEVER fixed my "issue" with the H3. it was.. we'll file a "report" without ever solving my problem. the Carbon ui is Total Garbage.
Hey! tonight im trying to play some music files that have worked since before 2007. it used to be: go to my music files... check edit... check the music i want... check autoplay..... But No that doesnt work with CUI.
Oyeah tonight i wanted to watch the news about Houston and Rockies baseball and the CU CSU football game. But NO, recordings CANT be paused.
What a cluster F the CUI is.
Swear to god f i won last weeks powerball i would take a hammer to all my hoppers and stock my mansion with 722's

I cant wait until my contract is up-just a few more months. the agreement i stupidly agreed to to get, then get away from the H3.... the techs NEVER fixed my "issue" with the H3. it was.. we'll file a "report" without ever solving my problem. the Carbon ui is Total Garbage.
Hey! tonight im trying to play some music files that have worked since before 2007. it used to be: go to my music files... check edit... check the music i want... check autoplay..... But No that doesnt work with CUI.
Oyeah tonight i wanted to watch the news about Houston and Rockies baseball and the CU CSU football game. But NO, recordings CANT be paused.
Swear to god f i won last weeks powerball i would take a hammer to all my hoppers and stock my mansion with 722's

Wait...what? What do you mean recordings can't be paused on a Hopper 3? And what music files?

ive had music files from Sirius. vh1, the old music channels.....and i used to go to: what i labeled "my music"... click edit.... check off what i wanted to hear and click autoplay just like that i could listen to whatever music list From my files) i wanted...music i wanted for however many files i clicked. But with CUI? nopes, it doesnt work anymore.

Reactions: joewhite57
CUI is like i said since i got the cursed H3. its like a new Cadillac with all the bells and whistles. Yes it will get you from point A to point B but just dont use the AC or the XM or the WiFi.
Thats pretty much what i was told when i complained. "yer live tv works dont it".

And did i mention im a Dish customer since '96? When they had two sats? when they had charlie chats? But for me and the way i have watched tv since i got the 722...
the CUI is a daily pain in the **. Its hot garbage and when i actually had an H3 nothing was different. it wasn't any more stable or faster. and since it was only one H3 per household... every tv in the house went out while the H3 rebooted or updated.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm not in front of my Hopper right now but there is an auto play feature, although, I've never used it and I may say this wrong but in the guide, go to the Music folder, press the Options Button, manage recordings, then you can select the ones you want and play them. That doesn't work?? Like I said, I've never used it.

Everyone has different preferences, but on a Hopper 3, which is anything but slow and laggy, there are a lot of options that need to be uncovered. I can't, off the top of my head, think of anything I lost from the Hopper/Sling with the old UI to the Hopper 3 with the CUI. That's just me though, based my own needs.

As far as the recording issue and swapping, I'm trying to work that out in my head based on what you posted., Instead of pausing a recording you're watching, stop it, then swap. It should stay where you stopped it.

It's not 1996 anymore, you know? I started with Dish, the first time I had them, in '98 and the 500 Dish with a DP Single is still mounted to the side of the apartment building I lived in, up in Buffalo. So is the 18' Fiberglass CB Antenna on the roof, according to Street View.I should take those down when I go home next week.....

Sorry, can you be more specific about your "issue?" I apologize if I am unfamiliar with it, but I don't recall having seen you post before. I ask as I am about to get an H3 in less than a week.

Thanks,
Ted

Sorry, can you be more specific about your "issue?" I apologize if I am unfamiliar with it, but I don't recall having seen you post before. I ask as I am about to get an H3 in less than a week.

Thanks,
Ted

I do not like the CUI, which I generally refer to as the CGUI. But most of my issues apply only to its use on the HWS. The H3 is a different animal and most people have few issues. If you are not used to the features on the old pre-H3 Hopper software, you won't miss them.

You won't have 4X FF. You will have different slow motion. You won't have the red recording in progress light. But you will have so many tuners it'll be hard to ever put them all in simultaneous use, outside of deliberately testing. And it'll be so fast you better have a fire extinguisher handy.

As peeved as I am over the CGUI on my HWSes, I can heartily recommend getting a H3 to those that have not been spoiled by the HWS.

Reactions: HipKat
I think I read in a thread that the resume while recording DOES work, it's just that you use play, not resume or similar. It's not intuitive, but it does work. The button that works is not the one you would assume would work. Perhaps others can clarify.

I think I read in a thread that the resume while recording DOES work, it's just that you use play, not resume or similar. It's not intuitive, but it does work. The button that works is not the one you would assume would work. Perhaps others can clarify.
Does not work for me.

Just one of my "issues" they filed away was when i tried to watch a live program and swap to a recorded show..... Lockup. i have pics of that. That was after Two tech visits. It was kinda funny replicating just that one prob. As i said they Filed it away as an issue.

Well I'm already stuck on a 2-year contract thru 1/2019 & I absolutely REFUSE to reward this loser company by getting stuck on another contract, just to get a somewhat functioning (H3) receiver - which BTW is ALL due to E* BREAKING my HWS's! So because of this & after I looked at my current TV needs, I decided I'm ready to, at least, cut (WAY) back with E* & go with another provider for my (primary) TV service.

So I went out to Comcast, picked up a cablecard & popped it into one of my Tivo Roamio's. To my pleasant surprise, it works GREAT & just like you would expect from a properly working DVR; the activation was amazingly painless & I've had no issues with missed &/or broken up recordings & the search actually finds things like it should. 95% of the channels I regularly watch are in HD & even though I know Comcast is doing their massive compression thing on the HD, there really just is NOT that big a diff between it & E*. (but I don't mind admitting neither will ever match D*) I really DO like the quick play function & use it on all my shows, except for musical performances. Their Commercial Skip feature works great, but if not provided, 30-sec skip works just as well.

Once I get all my regular recording timers migrated to my Tivo's, then I'm going to downgrade E* to Welcome Pak w/my Supers & $10 HBO, which the Supers & HBO are the ONLY reason why I really am keeping it...luckily I read my contract & there is NO penalty to my 2-years, as long as I keep some kind of service on. When the day comes that the Supers vanish, then I'll probably say bye-bye to E* altogether.

And yes, I'm VERY aware of Comcast's plans to go IP on their HD service...but they move their ass's so slow, I'm not worrying about it for now.

Last edited:
I'm being honest. The new UI will never bring the old hoppers back to the speed that legacy had. But, give it some time and it does speed up some. I'm in the same boat though. I'm not reupping for another 2 years because Dish messed up my hoppers speed and reliability. Either give me something reliable or I'll jump should I see fit to do so. For now, I'm fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)