Hello from Ohio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

LWoodard

Original poster
May 28, 2008
Hello everyone,

I'm new to FTA with not much to give but a lot to learn. I use to have a BUD system but replaced it with Direct TV about 8 years ago. Now I'm back out installing a new system. So far I haven't had any luck locating a strong single.This is what I bought:

Sonicview HD8000 Receiver
Winegard DS-2076 31" dish
SG-2100 motor
Invacom LNB

My location:
Latitude: 40.989N
Longitude: 84.803W

Dish settings:
Elevation: 49 degrees
Declination angle: aprox. 23.6

From the forums I have read, it sounds like the elevation should be set and not moved, the declination angle I have been playing with for 2 days with no luck.
I'm not sure what the setting should be on my receiver (the User's Manual isn't very helpful) when I go into Menu > Installation > Dish Setting.

Any help to get me pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Welcome to the World of FTA...!!!!
And Welcome to SatelliteGuys....!
My location:
Latitude: 40.989N
Longitude: 84.803W

Dish settings:
Elevation: 49 degrees
Declination angle: aprox. 23.6

Thanks,
Larry
I don't have an SG2100 motor, so bare with me? I have an hh90 and an hh120 (Stab's) and I had to set the Elevation to my Latitude. Looking at your Latitude, that would make it 41 degrees and not 49 degrees? But, like I said, I don't have the SG2100, so....???

You will do better to post this in the FTA section, there are a lot of members with that motor to help you. Good Luck..!!!!

moved to FTA area

voomvoom is right, the latitude of the SG2100 is the same as the latitude of your location (41)

The latitude of the motor once set shouldn't be touched

Elevation in error?

Thanks for the quick reply VoomVoom and Iceburg!

The way I came up with the elevation of 49 degrees (latitude of 40.989) was the "ELEVATION AND DECLINATION ANGLE TABLE" in the book that came with the SG-2100 motor. The chart in the book gives the following information:

41 (your site latitude)
49 (elevation angle)
6.4 (declination angle)
23.6 (dish bracket angle)

I'm going away this evening and won't be able to work on it again until Monday afternoon.

Do you still think I should set the elevation to 41 degrees (did I misunderstand the chart?). All I know is it isn't working at 49 degrees, so what do I have to lose!

I have been trying to find AMC 2 (85.0W) for my "TRUE SOUTH" satellite.

Thanks,
Larry

The SG2100 you set the latitude on the motor the same as YOUR latitude....I have 2 of these and both are set at 45 degrees (I'm at 44.7N)

AMC2 doesn't have much FTA though. The test card at 12195 H 3978 isn't up always. I would set up the USALS and shoot for 87W...more channel there :)

Set up the USALS (your lat & long) and have the motor move to 87W first then aim the dish there

When I set up my SG2100 one side was marked "Elevation", the other was "Lat" I bet if he set the elevation @ 49, the Lat will be 41 on the other side.
I downloaded a more recent manual. It shows to set the dish at 40-DECLINATION ANGLE. For his location that would be 33.6. Of interest I bought my SG2100 last Nov. The manual shows 30-DECLINATION ANGLE and that's what I used. So I don't know if there's been a change or not.

Blueridge66 did a better job explaining the elevation/latitude thing. I was only remembering one number (49 - the elevation) which is a latitude setting of 41 degrees on the other side of of the mount. My SG-2100 book chart says to set the "dish bracket angle" to 23.6 degrees, which is the same as the book states "30 degrees minus declination angle" (declination angle for my location is 6.4 degrees according to the SG-2100 manual).

I,m also in Ohio but I used AMC5 as my southern sat, anyway its not that hard with the sg2100. The way I did it was to plumb the pole and motor, very important, and using a compas I aimed the motor as best south as I could then I set up my reciever for USALS and set it on AMC5. I let the motor move and then I connected the dish to it and tweeked it untill I found AMC5. After that I found almost all the satellites on the ark I just had to do some adjustments along the way. I found that although the elevation is 40 mine says 37. So that just goes to show that you have to play with it to get it in just right. I dont fully trust the elevation gauge on the motor.

There are two elevations you need to set, the motor and the dish. Set the SG-2100's motor bracket scale to your latitude, and leave it there. Set your DISH elevation to 30 minus your declination (6.4), which is 23.6 degrees. Most dishes don't have a very accurate stamped elevation scale, so you may need to tweak that plus or minus 5 degrees or so. Do this on dish elevation only.

OK guys, I made some progress tonight, but not good enough. Keep in mind that I'm just learning FTA and assume that I know nothing (pretty accurate). I did find Nimiq2 82.0W tonight but I have to have something set wrong some where. I got a single strength of 69/70 and a picture quality of 97/98 (YEAH). However, I'm lost in a few areas (understatement).

First of all, I don't understand how USALS works. It looks like to me that the satellite locations are already stored in the receiver for most of the satellites? So if you tell it where one satellite is it knows how far and which way to move the dish for another satellite?

Second, I'm guessing what the settings should be on the receiver when I'm trying to find my "TRUE SOUTH" satellite (87.0W AMC3 per Iceburg). When I go to MENU > DISH SETTING > (these are my choices)

SATELLITE: I used 87.0W per Iceburg.

LNB Type: (for Invacom) Single, OCS, Universal

LNB Frequency: 0, 5150, 5750, 9750, 10000, 10050, 10550, 10600, 10678, 10750, 11000,
11200, 11250, 11300, 11475, 11500.

22KHz: on or off

LNB Power: on or off

Trannsponder: > Transponder List that shows Freq, Symb, Pol, FEC.

Search Option: all, fta, cas

Network Search: on or off

DiSEqC: off, mini-a, mini-b, port 1, port 2, port 3, port 4, I have [4] coaxes (C-L-C-L) from my
LNB to my 4-way DiSEqC switch and than a coax from the switch to the LNB side of
the SG-2100 motor.

Motor: disable, usals, motor

Even though I found Nimiq2 tonight at 82.0W the dish moves east instead of west to find 87.0W (even using usals if I'm using it correctly). I manually moved the dish through the arc to see if could find any other satellites but was not able to.

Messed up in Ohio and looking for a great teacher!

LNB Type: (for Invacom) Single, OCS, Universal
SINGLE
LNB Frequency: 0, 5150, 5750, 9750, 10000, 10050, 10550, 10600, 10678, 10750, 11000,
11200, 11250, 11300, 11475, 11500.
22KHz: on or off
OFF
LNB Power: on or off
ON

Trannsponder: > Transponder List that shows Freq, Symb, Pol, FEC.
see below
Search Option: all, fta, cas
I always say all

Network Search: on or off
off
DiSEqC: off, mini-a, mini-b, port 1, port 2, port 3, port 4, I have [4] coaxes (C-L-C-L) from my
LNB to my 4-way DiSEqC switch and than a coax from the switch to the LNB side of
the SG-2100 motor.
only need 2 cables. one from "c" and one from "l". Diseqc would be set up howver you have the cables hooked up. For right now remove the switch and go straight from the "L" output
Motor: disable, usals, motor
usals
Even though I found Nimiq2 tonight at 82.0W the dish moves east instead of west to find 87.0W (even using usals if I'm using it correctly). I manually moved the dish through the arc to see if could find any other satellites but was not able to.
make sure you have the latitude as N and longitude as W. The receiver defaults to E for east

as for the linear satellites (KU Band) make sure you have an active transponder for the satellites. See thelist for more info

Help

LWoodard I am in ohio and very close to you 39.9 N - 83.8 West. Best bet for you is to use AMC 9 for your true south satellite. Unless you have a line of sight issue(trees,building etc) you should be able to find AMC 9. There are several Hughes satellite internet feeds where you can see the signal and quality to get close. Also NBC uses this satellite for their local stations to use for backhauls feeds from remote locations to the local studio. The best time to try is from 4 pm. to around 9 pm. in the evening. Usually plenty of active transponders. If you need some help or advice you are close enough I can help you. If you want to call me send me a private message and we can hook up.

Greg

Now we have the questions answered about how to set the receiver up to find the satellites. Now could someone give me detailed instructions on getting the dish and motor aimed correctly?

1. Set Latitude and Declination angle on motor (do not move latitude setting from 41 degrees).

2. Does the "0" degrees on the motor and the dish point to aprox. "TRUE SOUTH"?

3. Rotate the motor to 87.0W

4. Rotate the motor/dish assembly on the pole until you find 87.0W
Will it be the only satellite I will be able to to get a signal from?

5. Tweek dish for maximum single and picture quality.

LWoodard, this is the info from Lak7 that cleared it all up for me recently.

Reset to your proper angles. It is possible to any combo of angles to get your True South Sat, but you will not Track the Arc.
Drive to 74west
Set motor to 45 (your Lat) and leave it there(no tweaking)
Set Dish to 28(according to Sadoun), tweak for best sig.
Then tweak by adjusting the Whole Motor(not driving) East / West for best sig
Then pick a sat to the west, farther west the better, and tweak.
Think about how much you have learned in the past week! (Quote from Lak7)

this was for me

This is the fun part!!! Anyway, set your motor angle to 45 degrees as indicated by posts above. Set your motor manually to 0 degrees left to right. Use what ever method you wish to point to your true south sat. turning the pole. Yes this is the only sat. sitting there on 87W KU band that your LNB can pick up. Tilt your dish up and down (as Lak7 would say) slooowwwly, until you find the signal. Make sure you are on an active TP using the "list" on this site. You can use an inexpensive signal meter if you wish. Keep in mind it takes 20-30 seconds for a signal to lock on sometimes. Have fun and don't get frustrated with this part of the testing stage. Once it's done,, you can never go back ! You will have the knowledge. As for scanning the belt, well once your properly set, USALS and all that stuff you will see will fall into place.
You are in the right place to ask questions with the right people to steer you to where you want to go and get to where you can maintain your set up without outside help and explore for more. Very important!! I'm new here but you will notice. The senior members want you succeed and are more than happy to help. Have FUN!!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts