HELP 5th time a tech out in 6 months

Status
Please reply by conversation.

plumfam4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh
Here is my story, I switched from Dish to Directv in March. Three weeks later had signal issues on all my boxes ( 2 hr20 and 2 HR21) The tech then replaced all the barrel connectors. I found out at that time that the original installer used all my old cabling from my dish set up which was over 9 years old ( should have repleced all of it) at that time also replace my receiver in my living room kept going to 771 error. In June similar signal issue did a repoint and replaced to more barrel connectors. When Dtv went to MPEG 4 with espn and hbo I couldn't not get any of new mpeg 4 on any receivers. Trip # 4 tech said burned out wire between dish and switch and replaced switch and alll the wire drops. That brings us to today, I have one hr20 that will only get tuner one. I switched cables and still get only turner one. Tuner two doesn't work. Tech support had me do test and says tuner 2 0% signal and also says switch failure. Tech supports seems to think it is a switch problem again. I have been calm about this whole issue but 5 tech calls since March is getting to me. I really like the product but at some point enough is enough just fix it. Is this a common issue or am i just one of those unlucky few that have reoccurring issues. Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.

It's definitely not common, seems that the previous techs only diagnosed the problem to where they saw one, fixed it and stopped. So, the next tech comes out and moves on to the next.. etc. After 5 Techs and your still having issues, I am surprised they have not escalated it to a case management csr.

If Tuner 2 is out but you swap lines and both show in-spec signal strengths on Tuner 1 then it is un-likley that it is a Multi-Switch issue. You have 4 HD/DVR's, have you tried swapping a working one in the location of the one with the issue?

Sorry just got in from work, it is a powered switch8x8 if that helps. I am not sure what lnb it is. How can you tell? This receiver was originally in family room where no problem. i know i can escalate they have come out each time and has worked for a bit. Short of canceling I just want the system to work.

Sometimes doing your own troubleshooting is the simplest way. If the system is up and running when the tech isn't there, theres not much he can do.

The details of your problems are a bit vague. Are three of them consistently working now?

If so, try bypassing the switch. You will lose two of your receivers while you do this, but at least you can test out and narrow the problem.

Sorry just got in from work, it is a powered switch8x8 if that helps. I am not sure what lnb it is. How can you tell? This receiver was originally in family room where no problem. i know i can escalate they have come out each time and has worked for a bit. Short of canceling I just want the system to work.

If you do have a powered switch it might not be compatible with the new HD channels. It needs to be either a Zinwell WB68 (unpowered) or a Zinwell WB616 (powered) - or the new SWM8 single wire multiswitch. If it is anything else that's probably the cause of the problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)