Help! Bailing out of window$ at last!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dee

First you better clean your PC from viruses and repair broken Windows install, make it work like it did before. That way you'll preserve roll back possibility, if your Linux endeavor goes the wrong way. Then you add a new partition to one of your hard drives, install Myth...whatever else to it, and play with it till you can make an informed decision, what to stick with. It sounds like a bullet proof plan to me. :) Or, you can boot from any Service CD and add a new partition on a non-system drive without restoring Windows functionality, make it a boot drive, and play with Linux on it, while keeping old Windows stuff intact.

I'm not a huge fan of M$ but for full function-ability of your TV cards etc... you are better off figuring it out. BSODs are usually a hardware/driver problem.

If you have high performance memory and it requires a little more voltage to be stable, Linux will do nothing to help you out. For kicks take all but one stick out and see what happens.

Dee, one thing that happened to me when I installed myth was that is seemed to want to index the drive with my DVR files on it and kinda messed things up. Don't know if it was myth or what but I bailed on it. My files were still accessible but they were all the Linux version of chk files, which is how windows saves files that it recovers. Again I don't know what will happen on your machine, it sounds like it has much more horsepower that mine did, so you may not experience any problems. Still if your files are intact and you have the disk space, it wouldn't hurt to make some backups just in case.

I'm not a huge fan of M$ but for full function-ability of your TV cards etc... you are better off figuring it out. BSODs are usually a hardware/driver problem.

If you have high performance memory and it requires a little more voltage to be stable, Linux will do nothing to help you out. For kicks take all but one stick out and see what happens.

She said she booted into Linux and she could access her Windows drives, so I don't think she has marginal hardware.

If I had to guess, I'd say she has a rootkit. There's a nasty one called TDSS going around, my girlfriend's laptop got it via infected ads on a respectable site (or as respectable as a site that allows popup ads can be, in my not so humble opinion.) The symtoms were browser hijacking, antivirus program disabling, and eventually increasingly-frequent BSODs as it installed more and more garbage that didn't play well together.

If your files are intact and you have the disk space, it wouldn't hurt to make some backups just in case.
I don't think its a good idea without cleaning the PC first by various means. Better idea is to install Linux stuff on a separate partition, and don't touch anything at all, including any documents and video & audio files on Windows partitions. That's why having infected PC in daily use is not a smart move without cleaning.

I didn't recall her saying anything about browser hijacking.

I have a set of gskill 1GBddr2-800 that says it will operate from 1.8volts to 2.0volts. It lies. If I don't run it at least at 1.9 it blue screens under any load eg. gaming, burning cd, AV scan.

the stop codes M$ gives in the blue screen are useless

on another machine I tried to run interleaved 2 @ 1GB + 2 @ 512MB (XP 32bit recognizes max 3.25GB)
All the same chips and timings. In theory it should've worked.
It ran slow and would blue screen.

I'm just saying don't nuke the computer before trying some easy stuff first.

But if this is more of a relationship/cathartic funeral pyre metaphor. Go for it. Burn baby burn!

Like the other poster mentioned. BSOD's is usually a hardware problem. The two main things that I have notices with BSOD's is either a ram issue or a hard drive issue or the motherboard itself.

With Knoppix, you can rescue Windows files and out them on a thumb drive or a external hard drive.

For virus issues there is a great site called "BleepingComputer.com, they explain step by step how to get rid of malware and viruses. . I( know you are not going back to Windows..but it is worth mentioning anyway.

If your browser got hijacked, go to Internet explorer>tools>internet options>connections>LAN settings. If proxy server is checked...unchecked it and it should restore your browser. From there download R-Kill (it shuts down all malware instantly), download Malware Bytes and update it and run it ..it is free. Should get rid of malware , and malware masquerading as a virus. Usually malware runs from pop ups to browser hijacking and the most problems seems to be that it keeps telling you have a virus and you must buy a certain program to get rid of the 'virus'. It is really a scam to make you buy bogus antivirus, when in fact it was the malware was causing the problem in the first place.

AVG free is good basic free antivirus, but it doe not catch all that is out there and that is where Malwarebytes comes to the rescue.

Usually the Ubuntuforums.org is very helpful, it is probably the most used Linux site out there today with people from all over the world on it 24/7.

OTA Antenna, get a mast mounted amp and a deep fringe antenna with a 10 to 20 foot mast. You should be able to get a full powered station 60 miles away with no major issues. But a mast mounted amp is important.

There are a lot of how to videos on Youtube, check and see what Linux/Myth videos are out there.

Good Luck

I am so lost. :river

I'm about to have a nervous breakdown.

I have the stupid mythbuntu installed but it doesn't even come close to working, not even a little bit. I have no idea what to do.

I really want to throw it all to the curb and just give up.

I can't find the STUPID windows disc anymore and this myth stuff is purely a myth about it working or doing anything. It's all a fantasy.

Maybe I'll just pitch it out and go get cable. I can't take this anymore.
I'm shutting this stupid BS off and going to bed before I have a red head moment and break it all. :rant::mad::rant:

Last edited:
Go with cable for awhile and then get your myth system the way you want and running great and then dump cable. Usually with cable there is no commitments. Here is a Myth forum that might help you.

hxxp://thelinuxlink.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

(Replace the xx with tt)

Good Luck

A few suggestions:

1. Don't give up.

2.Take Bill_KY's advice and go with cable for a while if you really need TV.

3.If you have a local Community College which has computer classes. And you have the time enroll. Evening Community College classes are usually one class per week for 1 or 2 hours. Most are willing to let students bring in their broken computers for diagnose / repair.

4.If you have a local Craig's List look for some one who will repair your computer at you home. Most of these ads in my area are High School or College kids. Most are cheap and knowledgeable (less expensive than a month or two of cable). Ask for references. And check the references. Like any ad be aware of scams

There are many more things you can do. The main one is don't give up.:)

Dee

What happen to your Coolsat 6000? ;)

If you were able to install Ubuntu, your PC hardware is OK. You just need to clean up your PC and repair Windows. For cleanup Hiren's Boot CD is one of your best friends. For repairing Windows look at Microsoft Install & Repair Windows and similar sites. Its easy, but requires some work to do, not limited to install of a package to a hard drive. Another good idea may be to finally get in touch with your Ex again. :)

ok. I have something working now.

I gave up on the mythbuntu thing. I have no clue. Too complicated for me. :(

I traded a neighbor a six pack of beer to fix my windows.

He found a screwdriver under the motherboard. Hmmmm....

He also found that ding-dong installed windows 7 on my pc. Um, I don't own windows 7. So I called ding-dong to ask about this. Turns out, he installed a copy of it from, um, a questionable source. Smooth move.... And thanks a lot.

What my neighbor did was reset the system back to how it was a few weeks ago. So far, so good. He thinks that it installed an update from microstupid and that was crashing it. So he disabled the update thingie for now. He said that I need to get a copy of windows 7 now too. I looked it up. Um, no. I do not want to spend any more money on this thing and I don't want to keep using windows. I hate windows.

So he said I can use it for the time being until I can find a way to replace it with the mythbuntu (which I can't figure out)... He doesn't know anything at all about linux and said he can not help me with it at all, period. Ok, fine. I hate buying beer anyway. Nasty stuff. Ugh. But, it got me my pc fixed.

I have AVG anti-virus on the pc and it doesn't find anything. He said the screwdriver probably wasn't the cause, he said it would have just blown up into a fireball if it was touching anything. I believe that. So his idea of it installing bad updates is sounding plausible to me.

For now, I can watch tv again. It's not the handy-dandy media center I was hoping for but it's better than nothing.

I still want to get rid of windows, especially this copy of dubious origins.
I still want to one day soon have it running that mythtv system. It looks like a full featured media center system and I think it would be awesome.

Oh. I also noticed a few new problems. FTV on 97 is bye bye. Black screen and silent. So is ION and NASA on Dishnet 119. They all three show 100% signal and picture quality but they are all three black and silent. Oh well.

Corporate America sure hates free TV. Free = BAD.. :mad:

ok, I'm beat. I'm calling it a night. I'll worry about this all tomorrow.
nite nite...

Interesting, Last week I went to Windows Update on this PC and updated Vista, Now None of my DVB players work. Black screen no audio and no signal strength.

Dee

Windows 7 is the best thing for now that can happen to your PC in your usage scenario. :) Now it's good time to use Hiren's Boot CD to cleanup your PC from viruses, malware, keyloggers and rootkits. Your neighbor's knowledge about BSOD causes may be limited, but you can learn more over time about the programs included on the CD. For starters, I suggest to boot PC in Save Mode and run AVZ Antiviral Toolkit, Antirootkit HiJackThis, and Dr.Web CureIt! Antivirus from that CD (after updating its virus database). You may be surprised to learn a few things about your PC. Also, if you use it to browse the web, install a good Firewall to block some self-installed programs like Keyloggers to report sensitive stuff about you to their creators. ;)

Dee

Windows 7 is the best thing for now that can happen to your PC in your usage scenario. :) Now it's good time to use Hiren's Boot CD to cleanup your PC from viruses, malware, keyloggers and rootkits. Your neighbor's knowledge about BSOD causes may be limited, but you can learn more over time about the programs included on the CD. For starters, I suggest to boot PC in Save Mode and run AVZ Antiviral Toolkit, Antirootkit HiJackThis, and Dr.Web CureIt! Antivirus from that CD (after updating its virus database). You may be surprised to learn a few things about your PC. Also, if you use it to browse the web, install a good Firewall to block some self-installed programs like Keyloggers to report sensitive stuff about you to their creators. ;)

Well, I went to the site with the Hirens stuff but I can not find a link to download the CD. I found thousands of links to download everything else in the known universe though. I saw a link to a page that describes all the things on the CD but no link to download the CD.. :confused:

I gave up looking after about 20 pages. I get frustrated trying to find something then it just cascades into a nervous breakdown and I have to walk away from it. :confused:

I'll try again later..

As to the windows 7, why would I want that?

I am again able to watch tv like I have been but I am still a long way away from having an easy to use entertainment system such as what I saw on the Mythtv site.
I can't easily play recorded videos back or music or, well, anything else.
It's great for watching live TV but it's pot luck since there is no interactive tv guide.
Sure, I can record, pause, rewind but that's the only real benefits.
That and it melds the satellite and OTA all into one system. That is very nice to have as I watch both all through the day and night.

Oh, and I have schedules set to change channels all day and night to my favorite shows. And to record History Detectives on Saturdays. Setting the schedules up is not at all easy though and is tedious.

If I want to watch a previous recording then I have to use my iPhone to exit the satellite tuner program and then run VLC. Navigating the pc on a tv screen from 12 feet away in bed using an iPhone is not easy. Actually, it's horrid.

I just want a simple, easy to use, easy to see, easy to navigate, ALL in ONE system.
Satellite, OTA, playback recordings, Youtube, weather, twitter, etc.

Maybe I am wanting too much? Certainly there are people out there that are doing things like that. I'm no idiot but I'm not an expert either. Far from it.
I hate windows but most programs you get for windows are easy to set up. Linux, not so much. Why is it that the linux people are so gung-ho on it being complicated and difficult to setup and use?

I wish there was like a "Does it all" box you could just buy, plug in and watch. Sigh...

Dee_Ann
I feel your frustration from your type. I'm not laughing at you but feel for you.
I recently was in the same place. Started back on a clean slate when I finally said to myself "the heck with it!!"
Loaded a simple Windows version with no bells and whistles. (Testing Linux as well)
Overclocked my machine with MZCPUaccellerator and PowerStrip and watching movies all day long without burps or hickupps.
Now I only glanced at this tread so I might be out of turn here but it seems like you have a unit that works well but with so much stuff slowing it down?
When we load or remove programs, most of us don't take the proper steps to do so and information still stays in limbo.
Free Window Washer might be a place to start cleaning things up followed by Using registry cleaner as well.
If your up to it? Start, Run type in msconfig, click on the startup tab and in a seperate window google the apps that are running. Most are "Look at me / fat cats" that don't need to be there. Uncheck the apps not really needed.
With this, things should start moving in a better direction.
If your unsure about doing any of this, of course, don't take a chance as the grief factor may rise.
Hope I have been of help and again, only glanced at the thread.
P.S. Teamviewer is also available at some point if you wish for someone to take over your PC and work out the bugs remotely?
tracker.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people having issues with the last W$ update. All of them have had to 'roll back'. I work with computers/software for living, it's not any easier even with all the techie tools that I have.

If you do find the 'all in one' box, let us know. I'd jump on that as well.

Dee

You can download Hiren's CD from one of its distribution sites. You'll still need to download AVZ and HijackThis from the sites above. This is professional grade stuff, though the interface may look very simple. If you find something bad, and the soft still can't fix it, you'll need to post it on a Virus Analysis forum to get your logs analyzed and the fix code posted for you.

As to advantages of Windows 7, everything is relative in life. The idea behind Mythbuntu is good, but implementation is too diverse and complex to cover all the tasks you mentioned, and would require some efforts from a user like you to get it right. ;) The same thing is true about using Hiren's CD or doing anything professional for that matter. Windows devs strive to make it easy for everyone, but the task is too broad and one may still need to put some extra effort or install extra soft to achieve satisfaction.

If you want to do everything yourself, there may be some stiff learning curve ahead. :) It may be a good idea to go through basics first.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.