HELP! Condo Association Problem...not the usual though

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks for the post dswallow... interesting stuff.

Here's another website selling GlassLink along with a 'booster' and the usual 'flat ribbon with two F-connectors' to put thru the edge of a window that you can open.
The app note mentions a double-pane version, but couldn't find it anywhere.
If you squint at the flyer depicted on this page you can make out the following text: Model 1111 Single Pane Glass - For Dual Pane Glass use Model 1112.

Even after paying for this thing I think you'll still come out cheaper and happier with DBS than compared to cable TV.

Wow, I just had a nasty thought: If you need two coax runs from the dish you'll have to buy two of these suckers - ouch!

dswallow said:
From the app note, it looks like it is about 60% efficient, so it's probably something I'd consider only as a last resort.
I read the application note. The 60% doesn't refer to the loss of satellite signal.

60% is just the mathematical efficiency of transmitting power thru the glass to supply the voltate to A) switch the polarization on the LNB (the typical 12 to 18 volts) and B) to power their broadband amp that sends the actual signals through the glass. In laymans terms, "who cares" if the unit inside has to waste a few watts to get enough current induced within the unit on the outside.

Per their literature, the satellite signal should be just fine: The RF comes down the coax, and enters the outside GlassLinkTM unit to a broadband amplifier. This amplifier makes up for the losses when it goes through the glass. Due to the particular care taken to ensure excellent impedance matching to the coax, overall signal quality (Bit-Error-Rate) may actually improve when a GlassLinkTM unit is installed.

It might be cheaper to just drill holes through the glass. Don't the rules just talk about drilling through walls? ;)

opiwan said:
So, I pulled our covenant rules, which were just updated on 12/4 (and I didn't vote in approval of, I have some issues with them) and approved by the community. Within, it says that I only own the decking of the balcony and not the walls, ceiling, et al.

Maybe, maybe not. See this from the FCC's declaratory ruling:

Moreover, the definition of the patio area and the definition of the first floor of the condominium are the same and include the surfaces of the walls. We believe that the condominium dweller has the same rights of ownership and use in the patio area as within the condominium unit. This includes the right to place objects on the surfaces of the walls. For example, because the interior of the condominium is defined to include the surfaces of the walls, a resident may hang mirrors or pictures on
the walls. Likewise, we find that because the patio is defined to include the surface of the condominium's walls, the resident may hang flags or dishes on the exterior walls. In this case, no evidence was presented that Sadler pierced the wall beyond the boundary of the condominium owner's
ownership and use.

It would be interesting to see what the FCC says in your case.

BrianB said:
.....What people who responded don't realize is that when you live in a condo, you do NOT own the inside of the walls. The HOA owns the exterior of the building, all crawl space between walls, all wiring, etc. ....

That's not true for all condominiums, and neither is E*'s diagram. It all depends on the wording in the Master deed and possibly the Unit deed. With my condominium, the unit owners own (and are responsible for maintaining) the outside walls and roof.

Opiwan, I think you have plenty of wiggle room.

But you first have to be aware of your state law(s) that apply to condominiums. Since this is a new condominium, it would have been established with the filling of a Master Deed in accordance with the Michigan Condominium Act http://www.caimichigan.org/laws/act59.pdf

Section 559.108 of that law states that the Master deed shall include a statement designating the condominium units served by the limited common elements and clearly defining the rights in the limited common elements. The recent changes to the covenant suggest that the Master deed was not sufficiently clear on whether the walls in the balcony were included in the limited common element.

Also, the recent changes to the covenant, materially changes the rights of the unit owners. Per section 559.190, any such amendment requires a 2/3 vote of all the unit owners. That's not a simple majority vote at a meeting, and I seriously doubt that they complied with that restriction, so challenge them on it and make them show you the tally of votes.

Another thing I'd do is ride around the complex and make a note of every unit that has any kind of hardware attached to any of walls in balconies, like hanging plant holders, stanchions for flags etc. If you find any, make management send them a letter similar to the one they sent you, requiring all such hardware to be removed and the holes repaired. That'll shake them up.

Take a look at this http://www.itbusa.net/

Also if you have a sliding glass door you could drill holes in the frame on the side that does not move.

Well, I looked into the old rules and the new rules. Their current sat rules are from 2001. But, I had my dish in in 2000. So, I'm pretty clear there, but where i have it is within the rules anyway...

Now, as far as the drill through, ends up that has *always* been in the covenant. They just had never said anything before and I had never noticed it. So, I can claim squatters rights, or be nice and comply by getting the glass links. If they keep riding me, the $230 is cheap compared to the hassle and that's what I will have to do.

It's been over a week since I sent them my letter back and have heard nothing yet. So, we'll see.

Here's another question, just how flat is that flat coax? Will it fit in a sliding door without getting too terribly pinched or is it likely that it will get cut?

I understand what your going through man but at least you have a dish set up. My condo association consists of a bunch of old geezers who always vote against having a dish installed. I dont have a patio or balcony and there isnt even a damn garden so I'm basically screwed. BUT! I came across a site that showed how you can install a dish inside the condo unit. It takes a bit of work but its well worth it.

You need to replace the glass pane with plexiglass and mount the dish like they show in the diagram here http://www.allegiantinc.com/isitforme.htm

I think I'm going to give this a shot and see how it work cause I have a clear view of the SW sky. Either that or wait til all these geezers in the association die!!! BASTARDS! lol.

I have found the ultimate solution to my issue. Looks like the wife and I are going to have a new house built a couple miles from where we are now. :D

So, I just have to keep the hounds at bay for about 8 - 10 months while waiting for the build.

Could you put your receiver outside?
Build or buy a little cabinet to put it in and control it with a UHF remote.
Then use a UHF transmitter to get to your TV.

Might be an inexpensive way to go. Would probably really bug the people giving you a hassle :)

Excellent! Nothing like having your own house and yard to do with as you please!

opiwan said:
I have found the ultimate solution to my issue. Looks like the wife and I are going to have a new house built a couple miles from where we are now. :D

So, I just have to keep the hounds at bay for about 8 - 10 months while waiting for the build.

Congrats on the quest for freedom!

I was just about to send you a message to ask how the "Battle of the Condo Cabling" was going. Hope you can work something out temprorarily while waiting for the new digs. It has always been amazing to me how a couple of stuffed shirts can turn an otherwise pleasant neighborhood into a military camp.

Have fun planning your dream house!

- martincva

Thanks for all the support guys. The next 8 - 10 months is going to be pretty scary in terms of having a custom home built.

I'm not too worried about the association at this point. I will do what I have to to make them happy until I'm out of there. If that means moving everything to a more temporary setup for the time being, then so be it. I'm really hoping that they just leave me alone since I sent that letter a few weeks back. If I do hear anything more on it, I'll definately mention it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts