Help convince me that Tablets are worth it..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Starting to become a trend.

Tablet computers seem to be the current "in" thing, and again, just like the Apple computer thing, at first I blew it off as something for stupid people until those that I respect started getting them and praising them. And once again, I'm stuck wondering what makes them a viable and smart purchase.

To me, these tablets just seem like big flat toys, or cell phones with bigger screens and no ability to make phone calls. As far as web browsing goes, I do that mostly on my computer (which is hooked up to my tv) or on my Nexus One phone. Also, I typically play games on the same devices. I don't travel a lot so I wouldn't be bringing it on a plane or in the car since I am always the one driving. I have a Kindle already so I wouldn't be using it as an e-reader. The only aspect that looks cool is that I could bring it to the gym and stream Netflix or videos from my PC via PlayOn, but typically I work out in the early morning and listen to SiriusXM on my cell phone, not to mention lugging around a 10" tablet is a little unwieldy if I'm not doing cardio work. Finally, I'm not sure how having the same apps on my cell phone will be enhanced by having them on a bigger screen other than having more fun playing various Android games.

But again, maybe there's something I'm missing, just like with the Apple computer thing. Speaking of, if I get a tablet it is going to be a Honeycomb tablet as I don't feel like helping Steve Jobs buy another yacht and because they allow for more customization. Any thoughts?

Few points:
1. I believe 5-7" Android tablets are useful in the car for navigation. Your NexusOne can be its router to the internet if the tablet is WiFi only.
2. Makes for a good EPUB/PDF reader, from belletristic to Cisco manuals.
3. Good browser/email reader. Again, your phone can be used as the router.

The question you personally have to answer is whether Honeycomb is worth it.
Maybe a hacked Nook Color will do? Or Pandigital? Or Gingerbread?
This is more usage dependent. Same about WiFi only or 3G abilities is a must.

I think it is easier to tether with Android devices without getting noticed.

Diogen.

Few points:
1. I believe 5-7" Android tablets are useful in the car for navigation. Your NexusOne can be its router to the internet if the tablet is WiFi only.
2. Makes for a good EPUB/PDF reader, from belletristic to Cisco manuals.
3. Good browser/email reader. Again, your phone can be used as the router.

The question you personally have to answer is whether Honeycomb is worth it.
Maybe a hacked Nook Color will do? Or Pandigital? Or Gingerbread?
This is more usage dependent. Same about WiFi only or 3G abilities is a must.

I think it is easier to tether with Android devices without getting noticed.

Diogen.

I do plan on using my phone to tether whatever tablet I get, since it's more cost effective. I feel sorry for people who don't have that ability and have to pay extra for 3G versions of devices and then have to pay extra for the actual data plan per month. I use my phone as a navigator constantly.

I feel like it's best to go with Honeycomb, even though it's very new, because it's actually designed for tablets, as opposed to all these other devices that are using FroYo and are basically pushing a circle peg into a square hole. You can get it in there, but it's not going to function at full capacity or in the proper manner.

The present day tablet was first introduced by Apple as a consumption device. If you find most of your use of a laptop is content creation then you would probably benefit little by a tablet. But if you do just use for watching netflix, playing some basic games, a reader, some e-mail and surfing web content, then a tablet is just more efficient. Some things will be initially obvious, like instant on and up and running with everything geared for quick access. I can grab my ipad review my email, answer a few and on to watching a netflix movie in the time it takes my laptop to boot up. If I want to go out by the patio and use a computer the tablet is much more convenient. My wife mounts hers on the headrest of the car and plays movies for our grandchild while driving and he is strapped in the car seat. He is 2 and knows already how to use the ipad and select his favorite movies I have loaded on it. Plus he loves the kids book readers and is already learning to read with some of the toddler apps. My wife also uses it as a portable TV.

Whether you get an android or ipad makes no difference to me. I'm not an Apple person but I like what the ipad does and how it does it over the competitors which is why I bought a second one rather than my initial choice to try out an android version. However, when you decide, try to avoid letting your emotions dictate which one is best for you. I doubt it if when you pick up an ipad to do something after owning one for a week you will be worried over having helped pay for a new yacht for Steve Jobs. Instead you should examine all the choices and select what works best for you. Again, if you are mainly interested in a consumption of content, don't be so concerned that you may miss out trying to custom something on the ipad that you could do with the Android. I haven't seen anything yet that says Android has more capability than an ipad2. Xoom and ipad2 are about equal in my evaluation. With Galaxy Tab you can have a smaller screen to more easily carry and this may be of interest. Do you need to video conference? Then Galaxy, Xoom or ipad2 is your choice. If you absolutely MUST do something that is not available on an ipad then jailbreaking may be your road to custom apps.
Also, don't think you have to pay more for a XOOM than an ipad2 because Verizon is offering a subsidy that makes the XOOM cheaper than the 64Gb ipad2. Personally, I prefer wifi only with a 5spot for travel, then Galaxy or ipad1 is your lowest cost route.

Usually something will push you over the edge to buy. It may be that you have trouble surfing the web on a small screen phone, maybe you want a portable TV for the workout. Maybe it is just too cumbersome to deal with a laptop all the time just to surf the web. Just remember one thing the tablets will introduce you to far more uses than the initial trigger driving you to buy one. Therefore take your time and play with demos of all the options before jumping the gun.

I think they are.. used to have the IPAD1 and sold it. Wasn't too interested in the Ipad2 due to its price.

There are alot of economical Android tabs out there but you gotta do your math to make sure they are upgradeable and most of all if they respond as quick as you want them to.

One site to checkout Android tablets is

WWW.Androidtablets.net

Sent from my NookColor using SatelliteGuys app

For me as a teacher it is very valuable

• Good organization tool: I take notes at meetings, enter information calenders (which is then synced to my computer), ex, and can easily access additional info as needed through the internet.
  • Classroom tools: Set up a VNC to project my APPs through my Smartboard (can use the Smartboard as the touch screen for my tablet). Many valuable classroom APPs. Even take attendance and enter grades while walking aroudn the classroom (gives me more flexibility without having to sit at a desk)
  • eBooks
  • Streaming content: Watch TV on it through my HAVA APP and watch baseball through the MLB APP. May watch an occasional movie through the NetFlix APP
  • Games
  • Web-browsing

I know much of this can be done with a laptop and a laptop can also do much more, but this is a nice alternative when you just want to carry a small lightweight device

I think as an Android user I'm going to be safe for at least a while. The number of iPhone users vs Android users on AT&T is massive (meaning they are more of a top priority), and I have a feeling that it will be even harder for them to figure out how to block off Nexus One users since the phones aren't sold by AT&T and aren't even being made anymore. And if they do figure out a way to charge me, then I'll just stop using it and be bound to WiFi usage only with whatever tablet I get.

I feel like it's best to go with Honeycomb...
I'm on the fence with this one.
I don't want anything that I can't hold in one hand.
That might be about 8" today considering the form-factor, 9" with a narrow bezel.
And I'm not sure Honeycomb's advantages are as clear cut on anything below 10".
Whoever uses a hacked Nook Color (7") with Honeycomb could chime in...

I don't think a Gingerbread powered 7" would be too ancient...

Diogen.

I'm using a rooted NookColor (have not yet put Honeycomb on it), and love it.
I also use a 4" Samsung Galaxy S phone, and sometimes it is just too small.
I often use the Nook for documents and spreadsheets, the bigger screen makes it pretty usable.
I also use it for magazines and newspapers, and it is the perfect size for that.
And I love the thing as a gps unit in the car, I use my samsung as a wifi hotspot, and TGPS Server to share the gps to the tablet, and it makes an awesome Gps unit.

I feel like it's best to go with Honeycomb, even though it's very new, because it's actually designed for tablets, as opposed to all these other devices that are using FroYo and are basically pushing a circle peg into a square hole. You can get it in there, but it's not going to function at full capacity or in the proper manner.

Disagree 100%. Using Froyo on the Galaxy Tab since Christmas and everything runs and runs extremely well. In fact it illustrates very nicely how powerful and efficient Froyo is as an operating system. I think it runs better on the Tab than on the 4" smart-phone. Every app runs full screen, looks great, no glitches at all. To say that it won't function at full capacity or not in the proper manner is simply wrong and not true.

All honeycomb offers is a "new" look and new widgets for the screen.

If AT&T gets nasty with your tethering, switch to Verizon. They will sell you the tethering app or you can use your own. Hope they don't get any bad ideas from competitor T.

That is something I may do on principle. I will end up paying more for the same service if I switch to Verizon than I would with ATT with the additional $20 tether plan added, but I do not want to be forced to pay for something that should be included as part of the normal data plan, that I seldom if ever use, and that is included with the standard data plan with other providers

Not long ago I posted about AT&T notifying me that if I change anything with my bundling plan I will lose my discount. Now they will be imposing a 150 cap on my 6.0 DSL as of next month. To use a term from Don, they have already gotten "NASTY". I am fortunate that I do have options in my area though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)