Help! Dish Setup no longer working properly

donnyp

Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
United States
I had Dish Network install about a year ago. When installer left, everything seemed to be working properly. Now, it has a vast amount of problems. Our TV2 wasn't working properly and it wouldn't record on the DVR, "almost like it wasn't getting a signal". It would show the record icon with a 2 on it, but it would never physically show under 'my recordings' and it wouldn't tape.

I tried doing check switch test at that point in time and it said error 836, it found fewer satellites the when first checked. I tried hard resetting the box and it was no help.

It's pointed at 61.5 and 72 if i remember correctly. Although how the installer has it set, is different from the LOS that dishpointer.com tells me.

I marked the spots where the installer had it set for AZ, EL and SK. I then marked them according to what dishpointer.com told me, I was getting 0 signal at those measurements.

I then moved it back to how it was first installed and only a few of the transponders for 61.5 and 72.7 are showing a signal, most of them show 0 and "No Lock"

I also tried to hit 110 and 119 with it, using transponder 11, but I was never able to get a lock with it. It might be because of the place I rent, has trees around it? My zip is 54115.

Picture of my location. I believe this already shows my satellite dish installed on the corner. I circled it in red. Right now for 61.5 its aimed SE, but not to the coordinates that dishpointer.com gives. 110 and 119 would be aimed to the SW. Are those trees an issue? Dish not mounted up high enough on house?

my house.jpg

I have no idea what type of dish satellite I have, or what type of LNB's I have. Its a ovalish Dish that is gunmetal with red DishHD on it. The LNB has 2 eyes on it and when I removed it, it showed 1,2,3 as labeled inputs to where the coax was connected to it. I'm Pretty sure it was labeled DP Plus. The Coax on the #3 was just tucked inside the tube and didn't connect to anything.

I have a VIP 722K on TV1 and tv2 is the VHF/UHF input that goes to the upstairs TV.

At this moment TV2 is working great all local channels and SD/HD channles seem to all be working, but TV1 doesn't get any channels at all from what I tested.

Im a quick learner and I know most of the basics about this, I just don't know the best steps for troubleshooting these issues. I dont know if I have a switch or not. I have 2 lines that run from my dish inside my basement, to a simple splitter. From their I only have 1 coax line that runs across to the dish network splitter labeled "SAT IN" "UHF/VHF" and "IN/OUT"

I will see if I can attach a few pictures to help explain it better.

The 2 coax lines from the dish run to this splitter point
photo (9).JPG

From their only 1 coax line runs to this next splitter point. Might be a switch?
photo (10).JPG

I know this a a great site for information and I was hoping someone here could help. I don't want to pay a tech $95 for something I can probably do myself with some assistance.

What are some things I can test, do, look into on my own?

I'll get any information that you might need, or take pics of the check switch screen, the point dish screen, whatever it might be.

Thanks!!!

You have very little idea what you are doing, call DISH and setup a service call. If you don't have the protection plan call and add it the service call will cost you $15 if you don't explain that you missaligned the dish yourself.

I think he has the newish 1000.2/EA dish with two LNBs.

To the OP, what you're calling a splitter is actually just a ground block. The other (bottom) picture is almost certainly a diplexer to backfeed the TV2 output to your upstairs TV. There should be another thing that looks like a splitter, but is actually a "separator", which takes the bandstacked signal from the dish and feeds it to the two sat tuners in the 722. Is that still there and connecting both tuners?

To the OP, what you're calling a splitter is actually just a ground block. The other (bottom) picture is almost certainly a diplexer to backfeed the TV2 output to your upstairs TV. There should be another thing that looks like a splitter, but is actually a "separator", which takes the bandstacked signal from the dish and feeds it to the two sat tuners in the 722. Is that still there and connecting both tuners?

Probably a triplexer on that particular receiver feeding both tuners in and backfeeding TV2 all on one cable.

Probably a triplexer on that particular receiver feeding both tuners in and backfeeding TV2 all on one cable.

Behind the 722 is a Triplexer as Aaron mentioned. All cables are hooked up properly and are finger tight. One cable does supply signal to both tuners and it backfeeds to TV2. Nothing was changed from my first post, but now it seems like both TV's are working again.

Is my dish more than likely misaligned, causing these erratic issues?

It may have been a loose wire and just by checking them you may have solved your problem. If it is this, no further actions may be needed or if one connection is bad, it could reoccur at any time. Keep us informed as the more info you can give, the better we can troubleshoot what your problem may be.

It may have been a loose wire and just by checking them you may have solved your problem. If it is this, no further actions may be needed or if one connection is bad, it could reoccur at any time. Keep us informed as the more info you can give, the better we can troubleshoot what your problem may be.

Problems are happening again. TV1 is now down and no channels work on it anymore. When doing a signal strength test, most transponders dont even show as having a signal. Only one I can get locked was transponder 5 on 72.7, but on the bottom it says wrong satellite 61.5 and has a signal strength of 55.

I think my dish is out of alignment. I'm not exactly sure what eye im suppose to use when aiming with the coordinates I found.

If the TV1 tuner works and TV2 does not, and then this sorry situation reverses from day to day or hour to hour, I'd say something other than your 722 is at fault. Either your 1000.2EA dish LNB has gone bad, or the cables are loose or broken, or the triplexer has gone bad.

If I understand correctly that at Time one of your outputs work TV1(2) and the other does not TV2(1) then I would think it is not a Dish alignment problem. If one of your tuners is prforming then the Dish is pointed correctly. If I misunderstand your situation then all bets are off.

If you have full operation on TV 1 but not TV 2 and then it changes to the other TV working, the receiver should be replaced. Please PM your account number and verify your 4 digit PIN number so I can assist you further. Thanks.

Problems are happening again. TV1 is now down and no channels work on it anymore. When doing a signal strength test, most transponders dont even show as having a signal. Only one I can get locked was transponder 5 on 72.7, but on the bottom it says wrong satellite 61.5 and has a signal strength of 55.

I think my dish is out of alignment. I'm not exactly sure what eye im suppose to use when aiming with the coordinates I found.

The bottom "splitter" is actually a diplexer. It with the triplexer at the receiver is how DISH receivers backfeed a second tv.

The second to bottom "splitter" image with two lines in and one out is a ground block. It helps DISH ground the system from lightning, provides an easier to access service point, and makes it easy to feed additional receivers if you ever added rooms.

From your description, you have a 1000.2 DISH with an Eastern Arc LNBF.

As for your technical problems, an issue with a tv2 means its either the diplexer, triplexer, or the receiver. Since the tv2 has image and even shows the record icon I would lean more towards the receiver.

Call DISH and have a technician come out and troubleshoot your system. He can tell you exactly what your issue is and more importantly he can fix it.

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

If the TV1 tuner works and TV2 does not, and then this sorry situation reverses from day to day or hour to hour, I'd say something other than your 722 is at fault. Either your 1000.2EA dish LNB has gone bad, or the cables are loose or broken, or the triplexer has gone bad.

I really think that it's my dish. It doesn't seem to be mounted the best. When walking by it on the roof, it moves a bit. I think it needs to be realigned. I'm not sure which eye needs to be pointing at which satellite. I have it locked on now, but it's the wrong satellite I think..

Shouldn't I be aiming for 72.7 or for 61.5? Do I cover up one eye with foil while aiming the other? I strongly feel like I can get this going without having to pay. I just need to know where to begin or what satellite is needed to aim first.

At this time inky a few transponders actually get a signal, must show nothing. Problem bounces back from tv1 and tv2. It will work on one then not the other and vice versa. If I try to fine tune the dish, the problem will switch.

I think I just need to dial it in and have each port locked to the satellite it needs. I constantly get error 836 when doing check switch test. Always finds fewer satellites and I don't want to accept those changes.

Go back and read post #2 then call DISH and pay $15 for a service call under the protection plan. Each day you're not getting reception you are wasting money how long before you've wasted the $15 the service call will cost you.

Anyone that knows what they are doing knows a 1000.2EA can't be aimed at 110/119 the spacing is wrong.

Go back and read post #2 then call DISH and pay $15 for a service call under the protection plan. Each day you're not getting reception you are wasting money how long before you've wasted the $15 the service call will cost you.

Anyone that knows what they are doing knows a 1000.2EA can't be aimed at 110/119 the spacing is wrong.

I understand what your saying. I will have to check, I did have the protection plan for awhile. Might still have it. I'm not trying to aim for 110/119. I'm aiming for 61.5/72.7

Now is the spacing on the 1000.2, 9 degrees or 11 degrees? I believe I am aiming for the correct satellites.

As Nebugeater has stated (and as I stated implicitly), your dish is not misaligned if any tuner anywhere in the house is receiving all channels as it should. I still maintain this:

As Ray C has suggested, this could also be your receiver. But I doubt it! I'd first of all check the most likely (zero-cost) sources of such a problem, which are the cable ends. Then I'd replace the triplexer, which is of very modest cost. If that still doesn't fix it, then replace the 1000.2EA LNB, which may cost a bit more. My WAG is that it's that LNB that has gone south. Replacing the most expensive thing first (the receiver) is IMHO not the way to go about fixing this issue. The Chevy dealer does this to me, and it drives me CRAZY, in addition to wasting my money.

Last edited:
As Nebugeater has stated (and as I stated implicitly), your dish is not misaligned if any tuner anywhere in the house is receiving all channels as it should. I still maintain this:

As Ray C has suggested, this could also be your receiver. But I doubt it! I'd first of all check the most likely (zero-cost) sources of such a problem, which are the cable ends. Then I'd replace the triplexer, which is of very modest cost. If that still doesn't fix it, then replace the 1000.2EA LNB, which may cost a bit more. My WAG is that it's that LNB that has gone south. Replacing the most expensive thing first (the receiver) is IMHO not the way to go about fixing this issue. The Chevy dealer does this to me, and it drives me CRAZY, in addition to wasting my money.
And I still say invest in the protection plan and get it solved for $15

And I still say invest in the protection plan and get it solved for $15

Thanks for the help and input. I'll look into it when I get home. I'll most likely do as bobs said and just pay for the tech to come out

If you save the results of the checkswitch, chances are it will show only 1 tuner getting signal.
It's the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)