Help Guys - Future ex-comcaster

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shadow_keeper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hi guys,

I left the dish scene back in the Voom days and have been with Comcast ever since here in Colo Springs. I've been playing the waiting game with technology over the years and have enjoyed Comcast's offerings up until now :-(. I've definitely noticed picture quality go down in the last year, especially USA-HD, Burn Notice's PQ is always lame compared to other channels; and with the $150 I'm spending for cable and internet per month nowdays, something's gotta give and I know I could save some money. PQ is a huge factor for me now as well.

I like my locals (watch a lot of prime time content) and basically all I have ever watched is HD for the past 2 years....haven't tuned into an SD channel in that long of time frame and never care to see SD again for that matter. One question I have for you Directv guys is about a new install and a 'move' address upon initial installation. Colo Springs has no CW-HD network feed and looks like we will not for quite some time; plus our local ABC station appears to be in a pissing match with Directv since it's the only local HD NOT on Directv's line up. So a Denver service address is very appealing at this time. Question is how to setup an installation to a ghost service address. Back in the 90s I had a ghost address for Distant locals and my bills came to my real address here in the Springs. How do I accomplish this nowdays??? Will dealing with Directv, a retailer, or QWest be easier to do this (looking to bundle services with them to save a few bucks) ? I basically want to get setup on autopay and not worry about bills but use a Denver address to get all the local goodies not in the Springs area.

Anyway to get the HD-DVR and a standard HD receiver for free for a new customer that is not advertised (2 1080p TVs in the house)? Looks like this is possible with Echostar right now? Echostar's all HD looks appealing as well as cheaper, but they don't have FNC-HD, FX-HD, and Speed-HD but maybe in Feb??

Any quirks or issues I should be concerned with the sat's DVRs? The Comcast HDDVR is limited on space but never had a problem with it in over 2 years so it's stable at least.

Any ideas from any tech gurus on cheaper dedicated land line alternatives nowdays? Guess I'm getting tired of paying Qwest $35.00 a month for a basic line with caller ID and all those darn added taxes and fees. I've got a new Blackberry flip phone from TMobile last week with all the services and it's nice to be able to talk on a cell phone in my house now without having to go upstairs to use it and get a signal, which was the case with Nextel for 3 years, Sprint for 2 years, and Qwest for 2 years. With Wifi I can actually talk on it in my basement...but that's a $65.00 a month bill, but I still like having the land line for emergencies or what-if circumstances...Voip technology here in the Springs I just dont know much about...and would like to plug my existing 5.8ghz phones into my network switch and talk, but probably a no-go on that these days??? Years ago most phone companies offered a measured rate sort of plan that basically turned your landline into a payphone but incoming calls were free and it was only about $16.00 a month with taxes...those days are gone around here I think, bummer.

I'm definitely looking to switch to Qwest DSL and their 7mps package for life for $42.00, because I know when I drop Comcast cable services, my internet plus modem lease fee will increase to around $55.00 a month since it won't be bundled any longer.

Thanks for any clues guys :)
Larry

Thanks for all the 'reads' guys...I'll post over at avsforum and see if they are more helpful over there.

Last edited:
Yeah, especially since you posted some Dish questions in the Directv forum :rolleyes:

Might have gotten a better response if you had waited till some of us got off work, before you stomped your feet and ran over to avs.

They were not Dish questions, they were DBS questions in general. This thread has been active for over 15 hours. I posted over at Avs and got an intelligent response within 15 minutes so spare me the stomping....no wonder I have not posted over here in 3 years...same kind of ranting and nothing has changed in that time. I remember that clearly last time because that's all people used to do over here about Voom was complain and complain at that time even though they had the best bang for the buck.

**New people with good relative questions on this forum in the future, head over to avs...not here because you will just get sarcastic responses which is a shame**

Voomers are complainers, one figures youd fit right in.

Hopefully itll be another 3 years.

I guess, judging by your immature, impatient 2nd post, AVS and DBS are a better home for you.

Hmmm, never complained about Voom or anything else, just was reading back then. Browsed some of your topics on here last night and laughed at all the ranting going on still today. Guess I'm a minority, but you definitely fit into that stereotype, lol.

What a douche...

Hmmm, never complained about Voom or anything else, just was reading back then. Browsed some of your topics on here last night and laughed at all the ranting going on still today. Guess I'm a minority, but you definitely fit into that stereotype, lol.

What a douche...

Nice knowing you.

Actually you complained about our response time, which means you should fit right in with the other merit-less complainers.

Immature...look at your avatar...explains a bunch already. Again, what a douche...

Haha, used a small word like douche so someone with your limited intelligence could 'possibly' comprehend. I don't even have to guess what age group you are in. Later Beavis....or is Butthead your favorite?

I give, I can tell by your intellectual posts, that I'm dealing with someone of unprecedented mental prowess.

Please o please, dont call me a douche again, i dont think Ill be able to take it.

One would think a person of your IQ could have used the forum search engine (ya know, search engine?? "A software program that searches a database and gathers and reports information that contains or is related to specified terms.") and answered your own questions.

One so bright obviously doesn't need a bunch of douche's to answer such simpleton questions for him, correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)