Help me decide: Sirius/XM yes or no?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Noob888

Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I read a bit that there is a channel line-up change on both Sirius and XM leaving a lot of unhappy people on both sides.

Here's the thing. I want a portable satellite radio with live content. I'm interested in two facets of programming, mainly Trance/Progressive, Howard Stern, and raw comedy.

I have read that Sirius has been playing edited content on their Hip Hop channel(s). Not happy about that. That's censorship. Is Howard next?

Now, my dilemma. There's a special going on with Sirius until Monday and I would have to take advantage of the offer before then, but now, it's really unclear to me how Sirius/XM will hold up since they've lost a lot of their subscriber base over the last few weeks due the changes.

Any thoughts?

Not censorship but editorial control. However Sirius still has acouple unedited Hip Hop channels not sure if they are on XM yet

I think once my XM sub is up next year I will cancel, and we may cancel the Sirius as well next year as my wife isn't happy about the channel lineup changes either, and has asked me to help her get music put on her iPhone.

I've been reading a lot about that too--people are really unhappy. Subscribership seems to be dwindling. Perhaps we'll hear more about it (officially) next year. I think Sirius/XM needs a shake up to smarten things up or they'll be called Titanic Satellite radio.

The iPhone or any MP3 device is a very good option. I have the iPhone too and I can also enjoy to a limted extent streaming audio on it but it just swallows your data usage like you wouldnt believe. Unless you have an unlimited data plan with no caps, it's not practical to listen to on the celluar network. With an MP3 player, it's also a bit of PIA to have to find and download the content that you like. With Satellite radio, if you like the artist that you may have not heard of before or normally know the track title, , you can follow-up online as satellite radio gives that info to you.

Not censorship but editorial control. However Sirius still has acouple unedited Hip Hop channels not sure if they are on XM yet
sirius has 2 hip hop channels only one is uncensored the other one hip hop nation is censored. had 3 uncensored hip hop channels before merger. now 2 hip hop channels only 1 uncensored. ill be dropping sirius. im gonna miss all out show and the gomez brothers.

There isn't any Trance/Progressive anymore on Sirius XM.
XM used to have a Trance/Progressive channel but it is gone for good.
Sirius had a channel that occasionally played what they thought was Trance/Progressive but it's more of a variety channel.
Unfortunately, the Sirius is the one on Sirius XM now.
You'll have to listen for yourself. My opinion is that it's really not worth it. It plays some remix shows but the playlist is incredibly shallow. You will hear the same artist twice each hour. It's really disappointing.

I read a bit that there is a channel line-up change on both Sirius and XM leaving a lot of unhappy people on both sides.

Here's the thing. I want a portable satellite radio with live content. I'm interested in two facets of programming, mainly Trance/Progressive, Howard Stern, and raw comedy.

I have read that Sirius has been playing edited content on their Hip Hop channel(s). Not happy about that. That's censorship. Is Howard next?

Now, my dilemma. There's a special going on with Sirius until Monday and I would have to take advantage of the offer before then, but now, it's really unclear to me how Sirius/XM will hold up since they've lost a lot of their subscriber base over the last few weeks due the changes.

Any thoughts?

To answer your question, if you want Stern, you'd best go with Sirius. And not bother with the "best of" roulette.

Other than that, in the longer term there will be just one. Both sets of satellites might transmit the same programming, but I expect eventually they will cut costs by settling on a single satellite system. Or if keeping them all up there can reduce the number of terrestrial repeaters, maybe they will just settle on one transmission standard.

No matter, in the long run, it'll all be the same. IF they remain in business. There is a very real possibility they won't be able to meet or refinance their debt payments coming due this year. So you might be ahead to just pay month to month, rather than a year or two in advance.

BTW, I think that's a pretty pathetic site you linked. Smart move, cancel, kill the golden goose and lose everything rather than some percentage. That'll show 'em! :rolleyes: Something about cutting off your nose to spite your face. And consolidation was in the cards long ago, that's why they merged. Some will like the changes, some won't. Even most that don't like the changes will still see enough to retain them. Unhappy people are far more likely to post than contented ones. And I don't think there's been any documentation to show significant subscriber losses since the changes, and due to the changes.

Please post again, responding to what we've had to say.

sirius has 2 hip hop channels only one is uncensored the other one hip hop nation is censored. had 3 uncensored hip hop channels before merger. now 2 hip hop channels only 1 uncensored. ill be dropping sirius. im gonna miss all out show and the gomez brothers.

Channel 40 Hip-Hop Nation is uncensored, it was messed up with XM playlist songs, should be corrected now. It was uncensored last night when I listed to it, as well as this AM. Also Shade 45 is uncensored. The XM Channel now on Sirius Channel 50 The Heat is all censored with radio edited songs!

As for the OP, I think Sirius would be the better way to go if Stern is on the list, since no additional Best of Sirius package would be needed. If sports is what you want, XM would be the better choice with Best of Sirius.

Bubba the Love Sponge is canned on Sirius. :(

BTW, the Siriously screwed link I included in a previous post has been updated. It also includes a "BS filter". Read at your own will and draw your own conclusions.

I like the changes...
I have added a new radio and may buy my son one also.....
get rid of oprah and martha stewart

If you want Trance and Progressive subscribe to di.fm. They got two trance stations and there own Progressive channel. The problem is that it is not portable and needs a internet connection. Satellite radio is pathetic with dance music. They are manly rock crap with 21 stations of that crap counting the 4 one artist wastes. The only rock channel I like is First Wave. The rest I don't care about one bit. I spend very little time now listing to XM and listen a lot more listing to di.fm on my computer.

Any thoughts?

Do you have any data on the subscriber decline? I don't see it.

I drive 15K miles a year and love XM (I still call it XM cause the merger changed just a handful of channels). I listen alot to the comedy channels (espec. Virus), hip hop, NHL channel and others. Very little of this is accessible in my car without satellite radio. At home I don't listen at all (it's on my DirecTV package) but its' great on the road.

I listen to the Beeb, some PBS and the comedy channel on 103 & 105 - in the car. Not available on Dish. Nice, but if Sirius/XM dies, I won't be too upset.

Channel 40 Hip-Hop Nation is uncensored, it was messed up with XM playlist songs, should be corrected now. It was uncensored last night when I listed to it, as well as this AM. Also Shade 45 is uncensored. The XM Channel now on Sirius Channel 50 The Heat is all censored with radio edited songs!

The problem was that XM's library had both radio-edit versions and unedited versions. The Sirius clowns didn't realize this when they merged the two systems together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)