Help me decide...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would agree, for the long term, a Glorystar or 3ABN brand FTA system would be the best bet for continued 3ABN reception, and will also provide the widest variety of Adventist Radio & TV channels that I am aware of from any provider. Those satellite feeds will always be needed, to send the signal to affiliates, so even if they move (which might require a dish repositioning) they will always be in the sky.

I would agree, for the long term, a Glorystar or 3ABN brand FTA system would be the best bet for continued 3ABN reception, and will also provide the widest variety of Adventist Radio & TV channels that I am aware of from any provider. Those satellite feeds will always be needed, to send the signal to affiliates, so even if they move (which might require a dish repositioning) they will always be in the sky.
Always? I don't think so. Many providers are moving (or making plans to move) to distribution via fiber

Go with GloryStar. After all you get several 3ABN channels as well as a number of other Christian channels in English. I have this as an alternative to SA after having it for many years but I could no longer get it since I moved to Mexico. I am very pleased with GloryStar.

Always? I don't think so. Many providers are moving (or making plans to move) to distribution via fiber

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but you're wrong. :D

The previous poster was correct. You need a big bird in the sky to beam down the content to the various providers. I'm sure we are no sooner than decades away from even having the ability of an all fiber distribution system from origin. And by that time if Jesus Christ hasn't come back he probably never will. But let's not go there. ;)

But then at best you are limiting yourself to North America and maybe Europe. The rest of the world may never use a wired broadband system. The last I heard 3ABN and other ministries have not written off the rest of the globe. :eureka

So I think it's safe to say that Christian ministries will still need satellite access for the rest of our lifetimes at least.

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but you're wrong.
You're wrong. I work for a phone/cable/internet provider, and although we get ALL of our content (hundreds of channels) delivered by fiber from a LONG way away, most of them originate from satellite as you describe. However, there are growing numbers who no longer send their original content over satellite, and instead send it over highspeed connections to our the headend. Some of these providers probably still deliver content over satellite also due to convenience, but as highspeed connectivity grows, the expense of satellite will outweigh the convenience of an existing distribution network, in favor for a relatively cheap alternate (and more secure) distribution network.

SO, I know for a fact that things are progressing this direction. Will it happen by next year? Heck no. Will all channels go that way? Surely not, at least not for the foreseeable future. HOWEVER, my comments stand true, content providers are not required to utilize satellite as their distribution network - there's no guarantee that they'll be on satellite "forever", as was previously stated.

And these few are US based, no?
Are you even reading, or just looking to argue?

The original comment was " 3ABN will allways need their KU satellite to send the signals to the affiliate TV stations," as an argument for purchasing Glorystar to receive them in the states. I'm telling you that it is not unheard of that stations give up their expensive transponder space in favor of a relatively cheap and secure medium via fiber. A relatively small outfit like a Christian broadcaster would be the precise type of content provider that would chose the cheaper medium for distribution.

Sure, these providers may still need satellite access to transmit their content to viewers on other continents, but that content would not be available to use in the US, which basically encompasses the issue at hand, if you recall.

3ABN also has as their intended audience several hundred thousand home FTA viewers. What I meant to say was that since 3ABN intends to broadcast to home FTA viewers there would "probably" be no way that they would switch away from KU satellite broadcasting.

If they were only dealing with affiliates it might be different.

3ABN also has as their intended audience several hundred thousand home FTA viewers. What I meant to say was that since 3ABN intends to broadcast to home FTA viewers there would "probably" be no way that they would switch away from KU satellite broadcasting.

If they were only dealing with affiliates it might be different.
That makes sense... as long as they don't start to deviate from their stated focus in order to make money or avoid expenses (like some "Christian" satellite company that I've heard of.. the name escapes me right now...)

Are you even reading, or just looking to argue?

The original comment was " 3ABN will allways need their KU satellite to send the signals to the affiliate TV stations," as an argument for purchasing Glorystar to receive them in the states. I'm telling you that it is not unheard of that stations give up their expensive transponder space in favor of a relatively cheap and secure medium via fiber. A relatively small outfit like a Christian broadcaster would be the precise type of content provider that would chose the cheaper medium for distribution.

Sure, these providers may still need satellite access to transmit their content to viewers on other continents, but that content would not be available to use in the US, which basically encompasses the issue at hand, if you recall.

Ok, but that would write off much of Canada & Mexico too. The US just happens to be in the middle of that coverage area.

My point is that I'm sure they will continue consider the Ku access as vital. Granted if for some unforeseen financial concern they feel forced to make a financial decision that could have to change. But considering much of Mexico is still starved for even reliable electricity I much doubt running fiber cable out to shanty shacks will become wide spread. But I have heard of a few satellite dishes running off of power from illegal taps on the power lines, not to mention some generators here & there.

Just trying to point out what should be fairly obvious - that access to the Gospel is not an exclusive right of citizens of the USA.

Just trying to point out what should be fairly obvious - that access to the Gospel is not an exclusive right of citizens of the USA.

Other countries have their own Christian broadcasting companies. Australia is just one. I support the US spreading the Gospel, but I don't think we are the only ones who can accomplish this task.

As you may know the FCC is changing over the air TV to all digital in about a year. I just purchased a HD digital tv converter box on Ebay and put up a homemade antenna I made for free in my attic. By receiving the Digital signal that TV stations are sending out now I went from about 5 TV stations to about 25 stations that I pick up with my homemade antenna. All the channels come in perfect and several are in HD. One of the stations I get from Dayton has 6 six channels of religious programing. 2 of them are the same children channels that run on Sky Angel I think they are JCTV and I can't remember the other one right now but it is the one that runs Davie and Goliath.
It's not hard to build a powerful UHF antenna and can be a fun project. I built one when I lived in Florida years ago to pick up a low power translator station. Using coat hanger wire and a broomstick I built a 21 element yagi with a corner reflector instead of a straight reflecting element. It lasted several years outdoors in a beach environment. Back then I had to calculate element lengths and spacing. I am sure one could google instructions nowadays.

I installed a purchased amplified antenna for HDTV and lost two networks though I gained subchannels for what I retained. I may try a long yagi to see if I can pick up the other networks, my TV won't tell me if there is any signal there if it is too weak for reception.

We've been getting calls that say that even tho all the other Sky Angel channels are gone... 3ABN is still there...

We've been getting calls that say that even tho all the other Sky Angel channels are gone... 3ABN is still there...
3ABN hasn't been part of Sky Angel for nearly 2 years. They are a "public access" or a "public interest" dish network channel.
Bob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts