Status
Please reply by conversation.

scottc98

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Columbus, OH
All,

Its about that time to get my motorized dish set back up and I need a little help finding the right mount and relative location to mount it. A little history first before I start.

My first FTA setup started out with a Fortec 80cm dish, Invacom Quad (QPH-301), and a SMD312 motor. This connected to my current receiver (Fortec Classic NA). Since my house faces true south and I had no desire to mount it in the front yard, the roof was my only option. Carefully, I was able to use the mount that came with my 80cm at the peak of the roof, as far back as possible (pic included). Due to the difficulty of trying to mount on your stomach, I was able to get it as level and plum as possible. Due the the size of the dish and motor type (connecting arm facing downward), I was having probs with the dish hitting the roof as it rotated. I was able to resolve this by adding a pipe ext to the mount, but it did mess with my aligment a bit and loss signals at the far west and east SATs (good from 43w to 121w). As most of us have come to figure out, the dish size was a bit too small for my tastes :). I ended up selling the dish and motor and bought a Fortec 1.2m dish w/HH120 motor to replace it. Prob is that it didn't come with a mount.

So... I need help finding a mount to buy and a little help finding a place on the roof. The old placement of the 80cm dish is not a option IMO due the huge eyesore the 80cm was, and the 1.2m will be. It also caused huge problems with mounting and aligment that I don't want to have to deal with again (I'd like to be able to stand on the roof behind the dish.)

I'm going to add some pics of the roof and hope this may help out.

(Sorry... power surge at the house; no UPS :( )

Here are the pics:

Pic 1: View of the roof from ground level from the backyard. Front of house faces straight south.

Pic 2: close up view to a possible eve placement for mounting the dish. gutter would have to be trimed a bit and probably would need a tall pole (5 feet) to clear the front roof, but would prevent from drilling into the roof itself

Pic 3: current dish I have at the rt side of my house (if looking from the backyard). Invacom is at the 91 for g11 and nimiq, fortec universal (blue) is at AMC3 (101) and the grey DTV lnb is at the 82.

Pic 4: view from the top of the back roof (about half way) facing true south. The front roof is aprox 17 feet in length to the top and is at a 30 deg angle. I don't mind mounting on the front roof as long as I can't see it from the front of the house.

Pic 5: a 180 deg turn from Pic 4. Old 80cm mount is visable at the end of the roof. If the eve location from pic 2 wont work, I'd like to mount the dish somewhere in the middle of this roof. Far enough back to stand behind and align, but close enough in to hide the dish a bit. (old 80 cm dish was a real eyesore). With the HH120 arm facing up, it should add a little height for the dish. The rear roof is at a 32 deg pitch, so a NPM is not possible (all the ones i've found max out at 30 deg).

So...based of the info I've given, can anyone recommend a mount for this dish. I've emailed MikeI a few times about his mounts he sells with little feedback and Sadoun has recommended a Superdish mount.

If anyone has any suggestions on what type of mount (and where to buy; PM if they are not a sponsor here) and possible locations on the roof to mount, please reply.

If there is further info needed, I'll do my best tonight to answer (at work)

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• pic 1.JPG
    pic 1.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 183
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 187
  • pic 3.JPG
    pic 3.JPG
    480.8 KB · Views: 235
  • pic 4.JPG
    pic 4.JPG
    911.8 KB · Views: 182
  • pic 5.JPG
    pic 5.JPG
    955.2 KB · Views: 196
1.2 dish

Are you putting a motor on the dish? If not I would get a commerial roof stand like sadoun sells.

fulszjep said:
Are you putting a motor on the dish? If not I would get a commerial roof stand like sadoun sells.

Yes, going to use a HH120 motor; the only motor that will work for the Fortec 120cm.

What commercial roof stand were you refering to (link?) ?

I did a roof mount on my 1.2 dish and I think if you do a search on my posts you will be able to find some pictures of my install.

Over the years I have monted many Non Pen roof mounts that have been custom built for the peak. Make sure to use a pad and weight the Non Pen with cinder blocks.

A local fab shop charges about $150 for this configuration with 1 5/8" - 2 1/2" post.

See drawing below ....

Attachments

• RoofPeak-Mount.jpg
    RoofPeak-Mount.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
SatelliteAV said:
Over the years I have monted many Non Pen roof mounts that have been custom built for the peak. Make sure to use a pad and weight the Non Pen with cinder blocks.

A local fab shop charges about $150 for this configuration with 1 5/8" - 2 1/2" post.

See drawing below ....

A NPM would be ideal. Most of the NPM's i've found max out at 30 deg peaks. Are you saying that these can be modifed? I need one for a 32 deg pitch. Would it be really hard to modify for the extra 2 deg needed?

pmb1010 said:
If the NPM doesnt work out, one that needs thru bolts and braceing on the inside might be an option:

http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page14.html

Imaging driving down the road in your car at 40mph, and hold a garbage can out the window... that's the load your dish is seeing on a windy day.

Thanks for the input. Those pods are large and little expensive for my tastes :)

If a NPM isn't an option, I definately agree about the bracing and thru bolts

While Hakkamike's install looks great, I don't think I have the knowledge (nor the balls :) ) to drill through the roof like that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)