Help me receive fast broadcasts please.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christof

Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
This may sound like a strange question, but when I asked this somewhere else, they recommended C-Band, which I know nothing about.

I need to get TV signals from ESPN and TNT as close to live as possible (within a second if I can). My cable company recently put in a six second delay (profanity filter, maybe?), and I've heard the small dish satellite has about a four second delay.

Now to make it a little complicated...

I live in a second story apartment in central Texas. The patio faces southwest, with about an eight foot clearance from the top of the rail to the ceiling. I'm sure there is something in the lease prohibiting a big dish; however this is worth alot of money to me, so I could probably slide the manager $500 or so to allow it.

Would a big dish deliver as live a signal as I can get, and would I be able to even get a signal from my patio? Is there any other alternative you can think of? Thanks.

Wildfeeds are what you are looking for. You can get some on Ku, but more if you have C band capability. Many sporting events are 4:2:2 HD, so the only choice is a Quali-TV at this time. I had the Nascar race on a wildfeed this past weekend, and it was a few seconds ahead of my local OTA affiliate.

Not sure exactly where you are, but if interested in a BUD, I have seen tons of them out in farm country here, around Hutto/Taylor. Seems to be an abundance of them around 6-8 feet, which might be just what you need.

The reason the small dish is a delay is because they have to
get the signal
compress it
resend it back up on their satellite
consumer picks it up on thier reciever

Another reason is the distance used when sending the signal. The satellites are about 22,300 miles up over the Equator, and if they send the signal, then receive the signal, and then maybe do this again or again, it can go a long ways, and that takes time. If you get it from the raw wildfeed, as mentioned by demOnlord above, you are probably getting as quick a picture as possible. If you're getting the signal from a re-sent program, as mentioned by Iceberg above, you'll be a few, very few, milliseconds behind the raw feed. If you're getting a signal from your cable company with the delay, for whatever reason, it will be even further behind. I can watch channel 17 WTBS OTA (over the air) from my OTA antenna, and I can get the TBS signal from G5 (G14) with my 4dtv, the 4dtv is a split second behind. I can also get TBS on my E* (DishNet) package, and it is a split second behind my 4dtv. So, as you can see there are a lot of variables on how fast you might get the picture.
You need to get both C-band and ku-band as well as something to do 4:2:2 with as well as HD (if you have HD), to get the most out of a system. And the Quali-tv mentioned above will do some of this, but it's expensive, at $700+ and it won't control an actuator, that you will need to move a C-band dish. So, you will need an analog receiver to move the dish, or a standalone dishmover of some kind. As you should see by now, there is a lot you can do, to achieve the most. You could also get a PC card or USB card, which will do 4:2:2 and HD, and are considerably cheaper the the Quali-tv. But, I would suggest you start with a ku-band system, to see if it's what you really want. After all FTA is not for everybody, and you could wind up spending a lot for nothing. You seem like you are sports hungry, if so , I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just remember it's not cheap to get the most out there. It might be better to start with a piece at the time, instead of everything at once. You need to be sure you have a LOS (line of sight) to the sats before you go any further. Good Luck Christof!

Al

And, oh yea, I almost forgot, "Welcome to SatelliteGuys"!!!

This may sound like a strange question, but when I asked this somewhere else, they recommended C-Band, which I know nothing about.

I need to get TV signals from ESPN and TNT as close to live as possible (within a second if I can). My cable company recently put in a six second delay (profanity filter, maybe?), and I've heard the small dish satellite has about a four second delay.

Now to make it a little complicated...

I live in a second story apartment in central Texas. The patio faces southwest, with about an eight foot clearance from the top of the rail to the ceiling. I'm sure there is something in the lease prohibiting a big dish; however this is worth alot of money to me, so I could probably slide the manager $500 or so to allow it.

Would a big dish deliver as live a signal as I can get, and would I be able to even get a signal from my patio? Is there any other alternative you can think of? Thanks.

Don't mean to pry. But why are you trying to do this? And how is it worth alot of money getting the signal a few seconds before others?
Thanks

The analog ESPN will be going away at the years end, TNT will also be going away not sure when though, so you will not have the master analog feed of 4dtv anymore.

Don't mean to pry. But why are you trying to do this? And how is it worth alot of money getting the signal a few seconds before others?
Thanks
Finalize a bet six seconds before the other party knows the outcome? :D

I was thinking the same thing, but then i decided it was just the cynic in me showing. Glad to see I wasnt alone lol

Fraud: An intentional perversion of truth; deceitful practice or device resorted to with intent to deprive another of property or other right.

If he is using deception (by using a feed not available to all betters) on others to get an edge on them in a parimutuel event, it is fraud, and there are laws on the books that deal with it.

Wonder if that's his intent or if something else is going on? Also wonder what sort of crazy bookie would take a bet that late in the game?

Wonder if that's his intent or if something else is going on? Also wonder what sort of crazy bookie would take a bet that late in the game?

Prob wants to bet his buddies over the phone. The books I know stop taking action five min before the event starts.

fil

Hi all, for the new amongst us, could someone explain what "4:2:2 and Quali-tv" is??

The QUALI-TV QS1080IR is a DVB receiver which can tune 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 streams in both SD and HD.

4:2:2 streams have double the amount of vertical color information. This provides a picture closer to studio quality. I thought the Nascar races looked good on OTA HD until I watched one on a 4:2:2 HD backhaul.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)