Help me simplify the various ways to watch shows online (Roku, Apple tv, ect.)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
With Dish losing AMC I'll definitely be watching Hell on Wheels a different way this year. Finding the means to watch is not the problem. I was given a Roku by Dish and I also recently purchased an Apple TV. The problem is deciding which method to use for watching various shows. With the apple tv I can obviously purchase shows through iTunes. And with the Roku I have various apps such as Netflix, amazon VOD, and Hulu plus. So which is the best and most importantly, cheaper method? I assume Netflix and Hulu plus are both monthly subscription services? Does amazon offer an unlimited monthly paid service as well or does it work like iTunes where you pay per episode? As for the pay per episode shows, which method is better between amazon VOD and iTunes? I really don't want to spend a fortune on a monthly service because I already watch 99% of my tv viewing through dish and the hopper. I just need something for the upcoming Hell on Wheels and the occasional show I may miss if a storm knocks out my dish service or maybe if I forget to set a recording. And I assume not every show is available on every service. Does amazon offer shows that Hulu does not and vice versa? It can get very confusing. :)

Any of us can give you our opinion but why don't you just go check out what they have available. Go to each of their websites and plug in your favorite shows to see which services carry them and for how much. Netflix, hands down, has the most for the least amount of money (that will stream to your boxes), but do they have what you want to watch? Netflix is usually a season behind.

If that's the case then Netflix wouldn't help for the upcoming season (I don't want to wait until next season to watch). Is the picture quality the same for all services (HD, 1080P,ect)?

Amazon has a season pass which does save a few dollars over buying single episodes.And no the picture quality isn't the same for all.Amazon offers both sd and hd,the hd is typically $1-$2 more.I can tell you that I watched the last 2 episodes of Breaking Bad via amazon hd and the quality was excellent.Another factor is your internet speed.If you don't have at a minimum of 3Mbps you won't be able to get even 720p.

I've used both iTunes and Amazon at different times. Most of the time I opt for saving a buck and getting the SD version because it is DVD quality and that is good enough for many shows.

Since the OP indicated he has an AppleTV, there are a couple options that open up.

One is just use iTunes on the computer and make it available to share on his in-home wireless network assuming he has one. That way it isn't a streaming job, as on the computer when you buy a show it is downloaded to the computer. That library is available to the AppleTV.

Alternatively, he could mirror wirelessly to the AppleTV from a computer/laptop. If he has a new enough Mac with Mountain Lion, that is part and parcel of the OS. If he doesn't have a Mac, or it is a bit older as mine is, he could use AirParrot on a Mac or on a Windows box which accomplishes the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)