help me spend my money

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyznest

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Tucson
I started off in this hobby back in '03 and I bought a kit that came with a Fortec Star Lifetime, cheap plastic "Universal" linear LNB, 75cm diameter Fortec Star antenna, and a SG2100 DiSEq 1.2 positioner.. I originally started this with bad intentions(al7bar) but quickly found out that I liked FTA better. I had a great time with it for a while. I haven't used the stuff that much for the last 3 years because it went out of alignment and I was just too busy to fix it... Last weekend, however, I fixed it and am back up and running... but I noticed that things are in bad shape

I want to upgrade everything slowly(over the course of a year) so the hit isn't that noticeable.

My receiver is outdated.. Probably almost anything will be an upgrade... I have read alot and just can't seem to find what I want. The big things I want are mpeg4 decoding, built in AC3 decoding, HDMI, blind search, gotoX, and HD, and ethernet. Are there any boxes out there that have ALL of these features? or most of these features? Do you have any suggested receivers? What are the better brands to look for?

The LNB is looking pretty hurt. After 7 years in the AZ sun the cover on the front has become chalky and has hairline cracks... I can't imagine that chalky cover is very transparent at these frequencies. I was looking at the Invacom SNH-031... does anyone have any experience with this or do you have any other suggestions?

According to satbeams.com I should be able to see everything I want with an 80cm... so would it be wise overshoot a lil to 85 or 90cm? My positioner says it can handle a 1.2 meter but I don't think my post can handle much more than 90cm. What brand antennas are preferred?

my positioner seems ok... it is a lil noisy but I think I can make it limp through another year or so before replacing it.

Thanx in advance for any advice...

Well, I'm in the desert southwest, too, and after a whole pot-load of research you can see by my signature what I came up with. The only other option would be an Azbox premium+, but it seemed like a lot more $$ for not much benefit.

I chose an Invacom SNH-031 LNB some years back, and still like it.
Really can't see any birds which need Universal, so that's a disappointment.

However, I've experimented with a lot of other LNBFs and most will get the job done.
If you want to plan for the future, I'd suggest maybe you think about a Standard, with two outputs.
Later, you can expand to multiple receivers.
Here's the relatively short Switches Simplified FAQ, if you need ideas.

An area well worth your attention however, is the dish and its size.
I'd suggest 90cm ... or maybe 1.0m if you can locate one locally.
Think the 90cm's are about the largest that can be shipped inexpensively, so that's a defacto limit.

Those 2100 motors have gone through some bad times.
Sounds like you have an older one which is pretty good.
If that's so, you're probably okay.
If not, ya might consider the Power Tech line. They seem to get good feedback.

Recommending HD receivers can start a war. - ;)
So, take the suggestions you get, and examine pro 'n con for each.
I'm not sure all the items on your request list are necessarily found in the best receiver.
I'll suggest you begin your examination with the various AZbox models, and leave it at that. - :cool:

well, i wouldn't call that 2100 "good" in any capacity. Its got a degree or two in position error when using user defined positions. On weak birds I find myself constantly going to the antenna menu and sending bump commands to get a solid signal. If I go into my receivers antenna menu and press the "bump west" command one time, I sometimes get one bump and sometimes get 2... I'm not sure if this error is from the receiver or the 2100, however... frustrating.

As far as the LNB goes, I did notice something and I'm not sure, again, if it is the receiver or the LNB. The quality meter on my receiver seems to only have 4 positions. 0, 40, 61, and 92. There are no small increments. So any quality lower than 40% drops to 0 and I lose the channel momentarily... when combined with the "double bump" problem mentioned above this can be a real headache.

That 90cm was what I was leaning towards. I would love to have a 1m or larger but that will have to wait until a day comes that I can put in a better pole. The one I have now is on the roof and I just don't think it can handle the wind load of a 1m.

That AZbox looks really nice... That is probably the direction I will go. A huge bonus is the linux core as I develop in linux for a living... I was also looking into the Dreambox for this same reason.. but they just don't have a very impressive list of features.

If buying another motor, I would get a DG-380 from Sadoun.

Brian of SatelliteAV/Glorystar has a bunch of followers here. Can't say he's done anything but right by me...
As a matter of fact, this is a pretty fair deal.... Dish and LNBF.

Do you know about TFUG?

Probably do.... For that sort of thing, the OP is a pretty small place. :)

EDIT:
Oops, that dish and motor have different size mount diameters. You could get another motor with correct size shaft, or spend extra money on a shaft replacement..
:eek:

Last edited:
If you decide on an Azbox, I would definitely upgrade the motor. The SG2100 and the Azbox simply don't get along. I gave up a long time ago trying to get both to play nice. I have to use another receiver drive the motor.

Do you know about TFUG?

Probably do.... For that sort of thing, the OP is a pretty small place. :)

EDIT:

of course... hahaha I know a few people who are/were regulars though I have never been. I hear the meetings are interesting though.

So here's the plan. A few minutes ago I ordered a sonic voom so I can get the AC3 channels... Next I'll start lookin for a 90cm dish on CL and other places so I can get more signal quality and maybe pick up another bird or two... and for now I'll just ignore the LNB and my motor basically works.

As far as receivers go I'm thinkin I'll wait a few more months. I just don't know enough about dvb-s, dvb-s2, HD, and all the other stuff to make an educated purchase. I need time to research. This fortec lifetime is pretty obsolete but I think it will suffice if I can get the AC3 channels.

Does anyone know if there is any 3rd party firmware or anything that might improve this box a lil? I have the latest fortec version... dated 2004... a lil update might be nice.

You can get AC3 with the lifetime Ultra using the Sonic Voom - I have both and they work well together.
Bob

If you aren't gonna spend money, how can we help you? :D

If you have the latest factory FW, that's the best people on this forum will work with you on.

"Third party" developers turned to newer boxes long ago before the whole system died.

In general, third party FW was for cracking encryption. Ever since Nagra3 was implemented about a year ago, the black hats were foiled mostly and DN has been litigating away the hold outs.

there is 3rd party software for the coolsat that was not written for piracy.
coolsat released their source code before going out of business and there were people who improved it.

Key words... "In general"
there is 3rd party software for the coolsat that was not written for piracy.
Agreed. we were talking about Fortec.
coolsat released their source code before going out of business and there were people who improved it.

Where did you read that?

If this is true, I would like source code for Coolsat 8000, 8100, 7000, and 7100. This would help people who want to develop PC channel editors for those boxes.

Post-hacker Coolsat software is only available for Coolsat 5k and 6k only AFAIK.

If you have the latest factory FW, that's the best people on this forum will work with you on.

I was certainly not thinking about hacking. It just seems to me that people port linux to just about everything... so maybe there is a project I should be aware of built around this hardware. Apparently not.

As far as spending my money.. I think you all helped convince me that i didn't know enough... which I certainly appreciate...

It's doubtful Coolsat actually released their source code to the 5000/6000 receivers.
I suspect it was leaked by someone on the inside.
Why? It would only be a guess.

There is no source for their other receivers.
Plus, their later models were made by a different contractor (factory) and had a different user interface.
So, there is really nothing in common between the 5000/6000 models and later products.
They are no more related than Ford is to Chevy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)