Help! "No signal received"on Sci-Fi and USA (Ch 523 and 522)

Martin586

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
No one at Voom can resolve this. I live in NYC, subscribed in Aug 2004 (free install and lower rate) and cannot receive channels 522 and 523 since they've been added recently. The program guide shows me what's available when I tune in 523 or 522 -but also there is a message"No signal strength"
I originally called Voom with this problem 2 weeks ago, the CSR told me to go into system status menu. I did and found tha the signal strength /SNR was 68/ 13.3. CSR said that it is way too low and that's why I cannot pull channels 522 and 523. She scheduled a service call for the folllowing week. I took a day off from work -but nobody showed up. When I called Voom to complain - I was told that the guy that was supposed to come over in AM "had been requested too often". I am still upset. No prior call or notifying via e-mail. I could understand in case of a truck breaking down or othe emergency one could not make it? But "The guy has beed requested too often?"
Anyway - back to the main problem - I was rescheduled for another service call on Sunday. This time 2 servicemen form Hi Tek arrived on time on a sunny Sunday morning. They told me that my signal strength is adequate by pointing to the Installation Wizard - "Aim satellite dish". the number varied at 90-91 at this menu. When I showed them the system status menu with the Signal Strength of 68 and SNR of 13.3 and mentioned that it may be too low - they said they don't use these numbers.
Then they went to the roof and repositioned the satellite. As a result my signal strength went down to 88-89. Still no channels 522 and 523. Then they started whispering to each other. I was able to overhear one saying that they could try to install another box and the other telling him to leave right away. I said real loud that I woulld appreciate it if you could swap my box with a new one. They did and 1 hour later showed me my OTA channels working with the new box. I asked them to play channels 522 &523 - no signal. I started playing with the remote and was amazed that all of the Voom channels had "No signal" message. I had no service! The 2 service techs were just going to leave the house when I stopped them! They reinstalled my old box and now I'm back to having Voom, again without Sci Fi and USA Network.
Later that Sunday I called Voom and explained what happened. the CSR told me this time to give her the EPG info
It read as:
EPG 1.9.8H
OTV: C0139
NEP:620

She told me that I will receive a newer version of NEP - going up to NEP:720 by 7AM this morning and may have my problems resolved. Unfortunately this morning it still shows as Nep:620

At this point I'm seriously thinking about canceling the service. I was really looking forward to my favorite SciFi channel - but so far no one at Voom can get it for me.
The picture on other channels is generally OK with some pixellation, especially when changing channels. I also have another problem - when turning on my Grand Wega 3 and Satellite - I must press both buttons within second or less
of each other. Otherwise I'm no going to get the picture -only sound. I can still change channels -but video is gone. The only way to bring video back is to soft reboot the box. This happens about 40% of the time and is a real nuisance. Please Help - Marty in Rego Park, NYC

Marty,

do you have a diplexor in your setup? This is kind of strange but it maybe a problem with your LNB or diplexor (if you have any). Let's deal with this first. Do you have diplexor in your set up installed?

Marty, as Sean mentioned, the problem is most likely with your LNB or diplexer/multiswitch.
Are you also having problems with channel 301 as well? I bet you are.
I think we can help you with this problem, but first tell us more details about your configuration. Do you have diplexers? Multiswitch? Do you have just one STB?

Hello, Ilya and Sean
Yes - I do have a diplexor installed and yes, you're right - I don't get channel 301. You're definitely on to something!!!!!!!!! I'm not sure abou having a multiswitch. Is it inside diplexor housing? What do I do next????

Thanks............. This is getting exciting -------- Marty in Queens

There are two diplexers: one combines the cable coming from the dish with the cable coming from the OTA antenna, the second one splits them. Diplexer/splitter is most likely attached to the back of your STB. The diplexer/combiner is either on the roof or on the outside wall. See if you can get to it (ideally take a picture of it). You need to find out whether it's just a diplexer (with two inputs and one output), or it is a multi-switch (with two or three inputs and two or four outputs). This is important.

Martin586 said:
I have only a single STB
I know, but the installer might have installed a multi-switch instead of a diplexer, which could've caused your problem.

I remember seeing it in the past on the roof - it is a diplexer with 2 inputs - one was unoccupied and I was even considering covering it so it won't get wet/rusty and one output

If you know for sure that you have a diplexer/combiner, not a multiswitch, then the problem is most likely caused by bad or improperly installed LNB.

Martin586 said:
I remember seeing it in the past on the roof - it is a diplexer with 2 inputs - one was unoccupied and I was even considering covering it so it won't get wet/rusty and one output
What do you mean? Do you have an OTA antenna? Isn't it connected to the second input?
And do you remember how many outputs? One or more?

The installer yesterday only repositioned antenna (making signal strength worse). I have never received 522 and 523 - In the Installs work invoice it says - "replaced receiver" (which is a lie) and "realigned the dish"

Did it look like the one on the left, or like the one on the right?
BDS-P1.jpg
BDD-32.jpg

I have an OTA antenna connected and there was a single exposed output left

I guess - since I had an OTA antenna connected and dish antenna as well - they would both use up all available inputs in a diplexer and the line out outlet would have cable going into the STB. So there would be no openings left. Since I definitely saw a single exposed outle - it must be the one you picture on the right. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Martin586 said:
I have an OTA antenna connected and there was a single exposed output left
So, let's see, you had a total of 2 inputs connected: OTA and dish; one output that has a cable that goes to your room, one output without connection. I guess there was another input without connection as well? Right?

It sounds to me like you have a multiswitch installed instead of a diplexer. And multiswitch requires two connections to the dual-LNB, not just one. This is your problem! One connection is simply missing. Should be very easy to fix.

guess there was another input without connection as well? Right?

You're probably right - I just don't remember it that well. Definitely saw at least one without connection - so it must be a multiswitch. How do I add another connection to a multiswich? Shouldn't this have been done by the Installs guy either at original install or yesterday? How do I fix it? Spasiba

Not quite sure what is a dual-LNB that needs 2 connections to a multiswitch. Is it the cable emanating directly from the dish that needs to be split into 2 lines and each line fed into each of the 2 inputs on multiswitch?

Let me explain what's going on. The channels that you are missing have "Left_Horiz" polarity. Polarity switching occurs either within the LNB itself, or within the multiswitch (in your case). In case of multiswitch, there should be two connections to the LNB: one for each polarity. If the second connection is missing you will not be able to receive channels with "Left_Horiz" polarity.
Read this posting. It's not exactly about your problem, but about a similar one. It will help you understand how it all works.

To solve your problem you either need to replace the multiswitch with a diplexer (in case you are not planning on adding more STBs) or, better add the missing cable from the multiswitch to the second LNB connector.

Yes, the installer should've done that. I think, he simply didn't realize that VOOM has channels with "Left_Horiz" polarity. So, you can call VOOM/Installs and ask them to complete the installation.

OK - thanks - but where is the second LNB connector (what's an LNB?) Is is on the satellite dish itself. Are ther 2 outles on the dish that have to be connected to a multiswitch. Forgive my ignorance....... Marty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts