Help! "No signal received"on Sci-Fi and USA (Ch 523 and 522)

LNB: It is that thing that takes the signal from the dish. And dual-LNB, like the one on VOOM's dish, has two connectors.

16-2529.jpg

Great - a picture is truly worth a thousand words. So all I have to do is get a short piece of coax and connect the second exposed outlet on my dual LNB to my multiplier. Do I plug it into any available input on my multiplier?

Was also wondering if I may benefit from a better signal strength as a result of both lines plugged in. Are there other benefits of doing that?

If you are not going to do it yourself, then tell your installer the following:

It looks like there is a multiswitch installed, but there is only one connection from the multiswitch to the dual-LNB. The second LNB connection is missing. And without that second connection you are unable to receive channels with Left-Horizontal polarity, like 301.

Once the installer realizes that VOOM has channels with the Left-Horizontal polarity he/she should know what to do.

I can do it myself. So all I have to do is get a short piece of coax and connect the second exposed outlet on my dual LNB to my multiplier. Do I plug it into any available input on my multiplier? (assuming there is more than one?)

Martin586 said:
Great - a picture is truly worth a thousand words. So all I have to do is get a short piece of coax and connect the second exposed outlet on my dual LNB to my multiplier. Do I plug it into any available input on my multiplier?
Make sure you connect to the multiswitch input labeled LNB-2 or SAT-2, not to the second output ;)

Was also wondering if I may benefit from a better signal strength as a result of both lines plugged in. Are there other benefits of doing that?
Not really. The second connection will only be used for those few channels.

Great! You're really terrific! I was wondering why there was an exposed outlet left on my multiswitch, collecting rain and rusting away. And all this time it should have been connected to LNB-2. Hopefully the outlet is still usable.
It is amazing that at least 10 individuals at Voom could not figure out the problem (including technical support, 2 techs and more) and you did!

Spasiba !!!!!! I'm a clinical pharmacist in NYC and if you ever need a pharmaceutical/medical advice - feel free to call on me - my e-mail is martsadowski@yahoo.com

Martin586 said:
Great! You're really terrific! I was wondering why there was an exposed outlet left on my multiswitch, collecting rain and rusting away. And all this time it should have been connected to LNB-2. Hopefully the outlet is still usable.
There shouldn't be any exposed connections outside the house and all connections should be sealed (made waterproof). Otherwise, you will experience rain-fade and other problems very soon! Sounds like your installer didn't do it right.

It is amazing that at least 10 individuals at Voom could not figure out the problem (including technical support, 2 techs and more) and you did!
They should've been visiting this forum more frequently! :D

Spasiba !!!!!! I'm a clinical pharmacist in NYC and if you ever need a pharmaceutical/medical advice - feel free to call on me
Net problem! I help people for fun, not for profit ;)
Good luck, and let us know when you fix it!

After I reconnect the exposed outlet on LNB-2 to multiswitch LNB-2 outlet -I'll tape everything with waterproof electrical tape. Or would it be better to purchase a new multiplexer at radio Shack - since this one may already be damaged? Can this multiplexer be purchased locally?

Was also wondering if you could recommend an OTA. I'm currently using the small stealth anteena that came with original install - but am missing Ch 11, 13 and sometimes 2, here in NYC. I also cannot get any UHF channels, except 1 or 2

Forgot to add that the Antenna and the dish are installed on the roof (directly above my 6th floor apt LR) and both have a direct, unobstructed view of the Empire State Bldg from only 6-7 miles away. (I live in Rego Park, Queens)
Can you recommend a good OTA antenna for better selection of channels?

Martin586 said:
Or would it be better to purchase a new multiplexer at radio Shack - since this one may already be damaged? Can this multiplexer be purchased locally?
It's not necesserily damaged - give it a try. FYI, the second input might be labeled as "18V SAT" - that's what you need.

As for Stealth antenna, do you know if it is amplified or not?
When you will be making the connections, check the diagram on the multiswitch itself. See if it passes DC voltage to the antenna input. For antenna recommendations check the Installation forum and also "In your area" forum. Or simply call VOOM and ask for an upgrade.

Martin586 said:
I believe it is an amplified antenna.
Then make sure that the multiswitch passes DC voltage to the antenna input. It should be indicated on the diagram. (If you have a voltmeter you can check the voltage at the antenna connection: should be 12-18 Volts). If your installer installed a wrong type of multiswitch: the one that doesn't pass voltage to the OTA input (and I wouldn't be very surprised now ;)), then the OTA amplifier within the antenna may not work. That would explain your OTA problems...

So in order to determine if the mulltiswitch is capable of passing electricity - I have to look for a the second input labeled as "18V SAT" on multiswitch? If it turns out to be incorrect multiswitch - Can I buy a correct one in Radio Shack?

No, no! The "18V SAT" is where you connect the second LNB cable.
The OTA connection I am talking about is where your OTA antenna is currently connected ("ANT"). I'll se if I can find a good picture of it.

I don't have a voltmeter - but I can remove the existing OTA cable from the multiswitch and test it with my tongue for the 18V current. It shouldn't be too bad and who knows - I may even get a permanent or get rid of depression (lol!)

But if my multiswitch does not allow electricity to pass through - where do I get corret multiswitch?

Let's do this: if you have a digital camera, take a good picture of your multiswitch and post it here. Or just write down all the labels you see on it. And we'll figure it all out tomorrow. :)
Also, if you can get to your antenna, see if it has a label or something that indicates that it is amplified. You need to know that for sure before you replace anything.

OK - I'll take a closeup pix of a multiswitch and the antenna and any labeling I can get. Will try to post the pix Tue AM or Wed AM and we will take it up from there. Thanks again for your help and time - Good nite - Marty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts