Help! "No signal received"on Sci-Fi and USA (Ch 523 and 522)

Here is a setup on my roof (4 pictures enclosed). Not sure if this is a diplexer or mulitiswitch or if things are hooked up properly. The OTA point directly at Empire State Bldg - but I only get Vh 4, 5, 7, 9. CBS fades away and I rarely get Ch 11 (pixellated). Also only get Ch 31 on UHF. Would appreciate your comments regarding this installation. Thanks - Marty in Rego Park, Queens

Below is a letter I sent to Voom regarding my problems

I understand you have turned over the pictures to your technical team. I'd like to take this opportunity to also ask them the following:

My Satellite signal power/SNR is 67 and 12.6
My Signal quality is 86
These are current readings on a clear evening on 10/20/04

Prior to last Sunday's service call, during which satellite has been repositioned (see pix #2 - fresh indentation marks) my signal quality was always 92-94. I don't recall what my signal power /SNR was a week ago - but when speaking with a Voom CSR over a week ago - she requested that I get these readings for her (via System Status) After I gave her the readings - she told me that the signal power is very low. After last Sunday's service call - the signal quality went down to 86.
When I brought it up to 2 techs during last Sunday service call - they told me that they only look at signal quality reading - not signal power. I've been experiencing pixellation, especially while switching channels. Can this be fixed, please?

The Voom dish is installed inches from a vertical antenna pole (see pix #5) Is it interfering with the signal from satellite? Should the satellite installation be repositioned?

The OTA is not receiving many channels. I am not receiving ch 11 and often ch 2 disappears. I understand the limitations involved - but I also understand that other users in NYC get many more OTA channels than I do. Could my OTA be upgraded?

Hoping to hear from you soon -- Marty

Attachments

• roof-Voom 005.jpg
    roof-Voom 005.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 104
  • roof-Voom 006.jpg
    roof-Voom 006.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 114
  • roof-Voom 020.jpg
    roof-Voom 020.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 114
  • roof-Voom 023.jpg
    roof-Voom 023.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 106
Martin586 said:
I understand you have turned over the pictures to your technical team.
My technical team??? :confused: What are you talking about? I am just a VOOM customer like yourself trying to help others...

Anyway, I can't really tell what kind of diplexer or multiswitch you have there. That 13/18 Volt sign makes me believe that it is not a multiswitch, though I am not positive. By the way is there any power supply for this box? I can't see from the picture?
In either case this seems to be the right type for your configuration. The only think that seem suspicious to me is that you are connected to the second input and second output, not to the first one. This potentially may explain your OTA problems!

Here is what I would try (a very easy task):

1. Disconnect the cable from REC 2 and connect it to REC 1.
2. Disconnect the cable from SAT IN 2 and connect it to SAT IN 1.
3. After that, check OTA signal and check satellite channels.

Looking at the OTA antenna picture, it appears like the Voom installed antenna is pointing in another direction than the old antenna. Maybe thats the problem.

Hey, Marty, any updates? I am curios if you tried switching to the first input and to the first output as I suggested? You see, only one output is supposed to supply voltage to the antenna, and I am guessing that it is output labeled "REC 1". I suspect, that the way it is currently connected, your OTA antenna is not getting any voltage to its pre-amp. Worth a try!

Hello, Ilya and thanks for the follow up. I sent some of my posts to Wilt Hildenbrand at Voom. Wilt forwarded my problems to the right people and within a day I received a call from Voom executive office asking me for detailed info regarding the problems and offers of helping me right away (Thanks, Wilt!). I e-mailed them a detailed description, including the pictures taken at the roof. The next day I received an e-mail from Voom saying that they have turned over my pictures and description of my problems to "their technical team" and that THEIR lead technician will come on Sunday morning to fix problems. I have not referred to you as part of my technical team. (Wish I was wealthy enough to have one). What you read on my recent post was just MY e-mail to Voom asking THEIR "technical team" some mores specific questions prior to Sunday's appointment"
I did mention that I have posted messages here regarding my problems and received wonderful help. You were 100% correct, Ilya. It was a negative polarity issue. This past Sunday AM I had a visit from Installs servicemen (They sent the same 2 guys that were in my apt previously). They immediately proceeded to tell me that I need to have the STB exchanged. I kept telling them about the negative polarity issue, proper reconnections - and eventually they went to the roof and totally replaced LNB and multiswitch (it was already rusty - even though it was originally installed 3 months ago. I'll bet they probably connected things correctly this time. My signal strength increased slightly and now I finally am getting Sci Fi and USA - but I could never do it without your help! I feel sorry for the average Voomer who could never afford to spend the time and effort that I did to resolve this problem!

Regarding OTA channels - they tweaked my OTA antenna position slightly and I was able to gain ch 11 - but lost Ch 9. They also told me that I will not be upgraded for an OTA antenna by Voom and will have to buy it / install it at my own expense (I know that's not true- but it is less of a hassle to do it on my own).
Was wondering about the best HD OTA for me? (Zip 11374, unobstructed view of Empire State Bldg 7 miles away (see picture #4 in my earlier post)

Thanks again - Marty in Rego Park, Queens

Marty,

Instead of investing in an OTA antenna, why don't you hook into that big OTA Antenna that is right next to your Dish?????

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=2455

Nobody is using it since I see the wire is cut and is hanging on the mast, and im sure its been up there for years and nobody has been using it.

Why don't you go to Radio Shack, get a 300/75 OHM Transformer and about 15 Feet of RG6 Cable and tie it into your multi-Switch?

If I was there installing your Voom System, screw the Weinguard Sensor Antenna, I would have hooked up that other antenna and see what type of signal you get.

Worse case scenario it don't work and you got to go back to the sensor. I have hooked up antennas who have been disconnected for years, and usually get a good picture on all the channels :)

Only thing you might have to do is re-position it slightly since it was probably pointed towards the world trade center where now it needs to point towards the empire state building.

Claude

It is my old antenna from 12 years ago and you're right - I had it pointed towards WTC at that time. So do you think I can get a good HD signal off this antenna? Should I run a separate line into my STB or connect it on the roof replacing the current OTA line in?
I remember being able to get ch 13 as well as many UHF channels with a very good reception on this oldie- but that was from WTC. Anyway - I'll give it a try - Marty

Since the old antenna worked before, it should still work right now.

But however, from the pictures, it show who ever the installer is, did not use quality connectors, and I am sure there some problem will show up again sooner or later.

Here we the certified installers use compress type connector on out door installation, and most of these installers will uses same type of connector all the way to the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts