Help on motor installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

red2grass

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
SF Bay Area
I tried to install sg-2100 motor with the 3abn dish and mercury II receiver. This is the first time to install motor but to my disappointment I could not tune to any satellite. Then I removed the motor and make sure the rest of equipment and site is ok. That is positive. I can easily get 123W, 129W and 95W. These are the 3 birds I tried on the stationary installation on the exact same site.
Here are some info about my motor set up:
1. My coordinates are 121W and 37.7N.
2. Mast is plumb
3. The scale on the dish is quite accurate. I can tell it from my stationary try.
4. I set the latitude on the SG-2100 to my latitude 37.7 and set the dish elevation to
40 - 6 = 34.
I used USALS to move to motor to 95w and then sweep the whole setup from west to east around my true south. I tried this over half an hour and could never get any signal. The I tried 123W which is closer to my true south still no prevail.
If I remove the motor, set the elevation and LNB skew properly, the sweep the azimuth angle I could get 95 or 123 in just a few minutes.

So what should I go from here? I suspect the elevation setting on the motor not accurate. If that is the case, what is the best strategy to set it up? Two dimensional search is quite difficult. What else can I try?

Now I suspect I may have a 30 degree SG-2100 not a 40 degree one. I lost the manual of the motor and I bought the motor about 3 years ago.
How to measure the angle?
If 30 degree one, then angle between the motor shaft and motor base is 60 degree(90 -30).
If 40 degree one, then angle is 50 degree (90 - 40)

Is this understanding correct?

You've done really good so far. Don't have the SG2100. But this may help.
Took my dial type angle locator out to my 90cm dish set it in the center of the dish with
0 degree up and it read 20 degrees. My lat is 38.8 which is close. Generally I set the
motor a .5 to 1 degree high and go from there. Also wanted to mention, set the receiver
on your south sat with Usals enabled, them move your motor and dish assembly east and
west until you find the sat. Place a hose clamp on the mast bellow the motor bracket to
keep it from slipping down while adjusting. Best way to find the clarke belt when angles are
unkown is the signal meter.

motor is set to your latitude or close to 38 ( on the latitude scale side of the bracket)
the dish is set to 30 degrees - declination ( this is for the sg-2100)

you should be able to download a manual if needed

EDIT : Added info
I measured my shaft angle on my TS sat and it was 64 degrees
this subtracted from 90 would equal 26 plus my declination of 4 is back to 30 degrees ( for the motor , also a sg-2100)

so your angle for the shaft would be 66 degrees

use a live transponder if your going to set 121 as your TS sat .... 12176H

Last edited:
I found the original menu. The culprit is 30 degrees. I indeed have a 30 degree SG-2100. The menu for SG-2100 from DMSI says 40 degree. I was off by 10 degrees. So of course I could not get anything. Thanks for helpful advices.

Now I suspect I may have a 30 degree SG-2100 not a 40 degree one. I lost the manual of the motor and I bought the motor about 3 years ago.
How to measure the angle?
If 30 degree one, then angle between the motor shaft and motor base is 60 degree(90 -30).
If 40 degree one, then angle is 50 degree (90 - 40)

Is this understanding correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)