Help! Only Even Tranponders on D* 72.5 Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alton987

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I did a self install but it seems I messed something up. I only get Even transponders on my 72.5 Dish. Its running through a 6X8 switch. The locals work great 90% of the time but then will cut out at random. I'm assuming its because I only gett Even Transponder? Is this a cable issue? I ran and tipped the RG6 myself?

Any help would be great.

I could be wrong, but I think DirecTV only uses the even TPs on 72.5. Also, the 6x8 switch works best if you connect the 72.5 to the first flex port.

jdspencer said:
I could be wrong, but I think DirecTV only uses the even TPs on 72.5.

No, D* DOES uses odd, too - but the receiver ONLY sees one or the other when using a 6x8 switch.
This is because since the 6x8 ONLY uses 1 coax from the 72.5 dish, & when the receiver goes through it's autodetect routine, it automatically figures out WHICH polarity your locals are on, & then locks the 72.5 LNB to either one or the other & leaves it there. This is a function of this new switch. Since the locals in a given market are ONLY on one or ther other polarity, there is really no need for the switch to access the other polarity & therefore there is only a need for one coax run as well. Keep in mind 72.5 is ONLY used for locals, so this will not be an issue, either.

If you are using a standard 4x4 switch, (as in for a 101/72.5 install) then your receivers WILL see both polarities on 72.5.

alton987 said:
I'm assuming its because I only gett Even Transponder? Is this a cable issue? I ran and tipped the RG6 myself?

Any help would be great.

It's not related to you getting only even transponders.
Programs do not change transponders like that. While it's possible for a broadcaster to change a program's transponder, it's not something they would do without informing their custommers.

Your problem may be related to signal strength though. Cuts may be due to the signal being barely strong enough to be decoded.
Can you get the signal strength for the transponder your locals are on?

SIgnals

My Signal on the Even Transponders is anywhere from 85-90's.

Did it occur to anyone that maybe it's a local problem with JUST your local channels?
Just for kicks, you mind telling us WHERE your at???

Waco

Waco/Bryan Area. I think its a multiswitch because it will happen at different time on different TV's? Directv told me it isn't the multiswitch. I replaced the RG6 twice.

jdspencer said:
I could be wrong, but I think DirecTV only uses the even TPs on 72.5. Also, the 6x8 switch works best if you connect the 72.5 to the first flex port.

Hope I don't sound too dumb, but what's a flexport?

ds650 said:
Hope I don't sound too dumb, but what's a flexport?

Look at the switch & you'll see them labeled on there. Basically, it's a port that can be configured to work with only 1 LNB wire from both a 72.5, 95 & the other slots. (I guess they're "flexable", in the sense that they can lock an LNB either on one polarity or the other, eliminating the need for 2 feeds from each LNB on the 2 newest slots & also not needing 8 inputs. It's basically a more "intelligent" switch.

Like jd said, you're really supposed to run 72.5 into the 1st flexport.

dishrich said:
Look at the switch & you'll see them labeled on there. Basically, it's a port that can be configured to work with only 1 LNB wire from both a 72.5, 95 & the other slots. (I guess they're "flexable", in the sense that they can lock an LNB either on one polarity or the other, eliminating the need for 2 feeds from each LNB on the 2 newest slots & also not needing 8 inputs. It's basically a more "intelligent" switch.

Like jd said, you're really supposed to run 72.5 into the 1st flexport.

I checked out my 6x8 switch. The first dish is plugged into the 101° ports, the second dish (my locals on 72.5°) is plugged into my 101/119° ports.
I switched the second dish to the flexports just to see what would happen. All three receivers lost signal. I put them back & presto, all good again.

ds650 said:
I checked out my 6x8 switch. The first dish is plugged into the 101° ports, the second dish (my locals on 72.5°) is plugged into my 101/119° ports.
I switched the second dish to the flexports just to see what would happen. All three receivers lost signal. I put them back & presto, all good again.

Did you run the autodetect setup on each receiver AFTER you switched ports? Anytime you reconfigure dish ports on this switch you must do this.
Also, you DO know that you are only supposed to use one of the 72.5 feeds to flexport 1 - it will not work right if you use both flexports.

you need to use a 4x4 multiswitch. hands down, ive seen this before.

i know the 6x8 instructions would like to tell you this will work, using an 18" round for the 101, and another 18" for the 72.5 into the flexport1.

strange voltage issues occur. i cant explain it. i went back to a house 3 times before i figured this out and put in a powered 4x8 instead of the 6x8.

when properly set up, with the right switch you should always see every transponder on every receiver, no matter what. your setup would only work if you had 1 receiver.

"This is because since the 6x8 ONLY uses 1 coax from the 72.5 dish, & when the receiver goes through it's autodetect routine, it automatically figures out WHICH polarity your locals are on, & then locks the 72.5 LNB to either one or the other & leaves it there. This is a function of this new switch."

this is bs imho. from what i know the purpose of the flexport is to allow the lnb to be run off one line, providing both polarities to all receivers.

anyway, from hands on real life experience, and not from anything ive read in a manual or on the web, you need to use a 4x4 multi, with 2 lines from each dish. if you have more than 4 receivers, you need a powered 4x8.

good luck

oh, and dont forget... after rewiring and whatnot, rerun the auto detect! it wont figure it out on its own when you rewire something.

god i hate the 72.5

foolish said:
you need to use a 4x4 multiswitch. hands down, ive seen this before.

i know the 6x8 instructions would like to tell you this will work, using an 18" round for the 101, and another 18" for the 72.5 into the flexport1.

strange voltage issues occur. i cant explain it. i went back to a house 3 times before i figured this out and put in a powered 4x8 instead of the 6x8.

anyway, from hands on real life experience, and not from anything ive read in a manual or on the web, you need to use a 4x4 multi, with 2 lines from each dish. if you have more than 4 receivers, you need a powered 4x8.

good luck

oh, and dont forget... after rewiring and whatnot, rerun the auto detect! it wont figure it out on its own when you rewire something.

god i hate the 72.5
72.5 Is not so bad but yes in some cases (certain receivers etc.) you need to run 2 lines from each dish or it simply will not work!

I had the same problem

I was having this same problem and had several things suggested. I FINALLY, found that in my case the cable was the problem. Everything looked fine from both ens and once I tried replacing the swith and even took the reciever back. I ran an rg6 through the back yard and tried it for a few days. no problem. This was it. I rewired the cable through the wall and when I pulled the cable which was originally with the house had a nail through it. So sorry to be so long but this fixed my problem and am ggod to go for about 8 months now.

Also I live in Waco as well. Just so you know

SS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)