Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
after 20 minutes of talking to d* tech support's foreign relations division, can somebody answer this please?

i'm assuming the slimline dish is like the older versions and you can only run a total of 4 lines into the house before needing multiswitchs?

i ask because i still have thse 2 tivo dvr's i wanna hook-up but i already have 3 lines coming in....2 to the hr20 in the living room and one to the h20 in the bedroom. i'm trying to decide if it is feasible to hook both of these tivos up or just put one in the living room where the hd dvr is.

hope someone understands the question. thanks.

You're going to need 4 lines. Two to each DVR. If you want the full capabilty of each.

I bit the bullet and installed a multiswitch. 4 in (2 open) 8 out.

I'm running 2 Tivo's, 1 h20, 1 h10 and 2 standard boxes with no problems.

Running the AT-9 dish.

after 20 minutes of talking to d* tech support's foreign relations division, can somebody answer this please?

i'm assuming the slimline dish is like the older versions and you can only run a total of 4 lines into the house before needing multiswitchs?

i ask because i still have thse 2 tivo dvr's i wanna hook-up but i already have 3 lines coming in....2 to the hr20 in the living room and one to the h20 in the bedroom. i'm trying to decide if it is feasible to hook both of these tivos up or just put one in the living room where the hd dvr is.

hope someone understands the question. thanks.

You are correct wrt needing a switch after 4, and that in that regard, it is the same as the non-slimline.

(nevermind, I reread his post and he does seem to have the WB68),

So yes, you are right on those counts, just make sure you get the WB68 so you won't have to worry about the KA/Ku thing.

pardon my dumb question.....does d* provide the switch? if so, how do i make sure i get the one i want? or do i need to purchase?

When I had D* they provided the switch when I upgraded to the AT9 at no cost.

pardon my dumb question.....does d* provide the switch? if so, how do i make sure i get the one i want? or do i need to purchase?

The only dumb question, is the one not asked.

If they are installing for you knowing you have need for more than 4 tuners (which would then need a switch), then yes, D* should provide it as part of the install, if they provide it, they should provide the WB68, however, some installers don't know any better, D* intends for you to get the right switch, but some installers, well...just make sure it _is_ a WB68.

If they try and cram a 4x# switch in there, or something that is not a WB68, it's NOT the right one, do NOT sign off on the job until you KNOW it's the right one, there are many pics of the WB68 on google.

i just googled the wb 68 multi-switch. do i gather correctly that i can hook up to four dvr's with this?

the other scenario i'm debating. right now only one line runs into the bedroom to the h20. basically, the installer hooked the d* line into a splitter in the ceiling and took advantage of the pre-wired cable already in my apartment. i'm thinking hooking a dvr in the bedroom might be a mess. i'm not sure a d* installer would run cables through the ceiling, into the bedroom. and, obviously, i already have two lines coming into the living room for the hr20!

i just googled the wb 68 multi-switch. do i gather correctly that i can hook up to four dvr's with this?

the other scenario i'm debating. right now only one line runs into the bedroom to the h20. basically, the installer hooked the d* line into a splitter in the ceiling and took advantage of the pre-wired cable already in my apartment. i'm thinking hooking a dvr in the bedroom might be a mess. i'm not sure a d* installer would run cables through the ceiling, into the bedroom. and, obviously, i already have two lines coming into the living room for the hr20!

Right, you can have up to 8 tuners (4 dvrs).

As for the running of the cable, YMMV, most installers will charge you extra for anything other than a hole or 2 drilled, and a wrap around, and coax stapled to your baseboard to each tuner, I won't comment further, but if you have drive and knowledge, you may opt to run the lines yourself before the installer gets there, however, if money is no object, then just tell them what you want, they'll be happy to take your money, and run it exactly how you want.

unfortunately, i'm on a fixed income and i suffer from inflamatory arthritis...so both are out of the question. sounds like i'll stick with the hr20 plus one additional dvr in the living room.

thanks, you have all been very helpful.

unfortunately, i'm on a fixed income and i suffer from inflamatory arthritis...so both are out of the question. sounds like i'll stick with the hr20 plus one additional dvr in the living room.

thanks, you have all been very helpful.

You're welcome.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that if you are in an area that is associated with low income, some installers do have a heart, and I have heard of some going beyond their duty to help someone out, I hope you get one of those, good luck.

Also, just to clarify, they WILL run all the lines free (it is part of the install to run a line to EVERY tuner (they will usually opt to use any existing cable runs, if available, but if a room needs 2 lines, and only one line exists, they will have to run another as per contract), period), it is if and HOW you request they run them (and how long the runs are) that may or may not cost extra, so if looks don't matter, keep your mouth closed, and before signing off, make sure all tuners on all DVRs work as expected, else do not sign it until they do.

Last edited:
well, damaged, i do have the name and id number of the original installer who did my setup. he did a terrific job and i would love to have him come back. i know, at one time, you could request a specific installer for a job and if he/she was working the day of the install, d* would do their best to oblige.

speaking of kind hearts, off-the-record, when i had cable, some of the guys would help me out on the qt!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.