Help Selecting TV Provider

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

MI_SAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Hi guys

I've been a 15 year DIRECTV subscriber but I need your expert advice. The Mrs and I are building a high end custom home and she doesn't want an unsightly dish on the roof. In fact, the only view to the southern skies through the trees would require placement on the front of the home. Plus, we've had some pretty unsightly installs from dish and directv over the years, with holes drilled and cables strung on the outside of the home with seemingly little care about aesthetics. Maybe we've been unlucky in that regard.

In any event, living in Southeast Michigan, do you have any recommendations on the best service that isn't satellite (hope that's not blasphemous here!)? I presently have comcast internet, which is okay but pricey. Might also consider a home alarm.

I'd hate to leave directv, but I can't risk ruining a custom home with a bad install or a dish in the front of the house.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

have you asked your home builder about it? what about a pole (ground) mount, is that possible?

i've seen some guys do really clean work.you cant see the cable at all except where the ground block is. maybe you just got lazy installers in the past. worst that happens is you have the guy come out and see what he can do for you. if you don't like it just tell him no thanks.

otherwise sling TV or comcast are you options i guess

have all the cables ran to a central wiring closet while the home is being built
look at a private installer.

there are options if you explore them.

and if you still building, directvnow may be available when you get into the home

If you do decide to go to a different provider make sure you fill all of your closets with Kleenex because you surly will need it.

I certainly don't want to switch, so I get the Kleenex comment. I was looking at Directv Now, though I don't know all of the channels yet, and I didn't see anything about a DVR (which I use regularly). Just a three day window to watch past shows.

I did see mention of a free apple tv to new subscribers. We'll see what that's all about.

My biggest fear is going with Comcast, even though that's my ISP.

Would be great if we didn't need unsightly dishes. Maybe DIrectv Now will be the logical choice, but I can see exceeding comcast's lame monthly bandwidth limits if we watch all tv via internet.

I certainly don't want to switch, so I get the Kleenex comment. I was looking at Directv Now, though I don't know all of the channels yet, and I didn't see anything about a DVR (which I use regularly). Just a three day window to watch past shows.

I did see mention of a free apple tv to new subscribers. We'll see what that's all about.

My biggest fear is going with Comcast, even though that's my ISP.

Would be great if we didn't need unsightly dishes. Maybe DIrectv Now will be the logical choice, but I can see exceeding comcast's lame monthly bandwidth limits if we watch all tv via internet.
Unsightly dishes ?

If you look at my house, you'd never know I have D* with a dish.
Btw, you can paint them, disguise them as rocks and a variety of other things.

You've had D* for 15 years and are still having issues with having a dish ?

Unsightly dishes ?

If you look at my house, you'd never know I have D* with a dish.
Btw, you can paint them, disguise them as rocks and a variety of other things.

You've had D* for 15 years and are still having issues with having a dish ?

All the high end homes near me have Directv (or dish) since many of these homes are rural and don't even have proper Internet.

You can see my dish on the far side of the house but it's far from unsightly. You can only see the grounding block for wires. There is a plant that pretty much hides it in the summer but it's dead now. The hideous orange tube by my front door with a glob of gray stuff with a cord sticking out of it, stapled along the side of the house is unsightly... That's Comcast for my Internet.

It's not my current house I'm concerned about, it's the new custom home. As I said earlier, the dish would have to be on the front of my house given trees, which is not going to look good.

It's not my current house I'm concerned about, it's the new custom home. As I said earlier, the dish would have to be on the front of my house given trees, which is not going to look good.
Cut the trees. Problem solved lol

Custom landscaping can easily hide a dish with planning. A good installer will work with you. A dish on the front is not that unsightly and your wife will forget it's there in a few weeks.

You may not like my comment, but oh well. I don't get why people have an issue with a DIsh being somewhere near or on there house, why are people so worried about this? So what if it's showing, or there's cables showing, I'd rather have great service(DIRECTV), than sh!tty service like Cable TV, I don't get why people have to be so perfect, and act like a dish is an imperfection? I couldn't care less if my Dish was on my House, in the front, or backyard where it is now, only because I have a huge tree in the front that blocks any view of the southern sky.

Sorry to be blunt, but some people amaze me with this, like people in a gated community, If I buy a home, I'm placing the Dish wherever the F I want too, I own the home, and property.

Reactions: Marcingak
Cleaned out the political quotes. I know it got more into the rules rather than politics later, but quoted posts were embedded and just deleting that part made no sense.

Thanks everyone for understanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)