Help setting up gal10r

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arthurgrant

Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Hi everyone I'm trying to bring in gal 10r I have a 33" dish with a single digiwave lnb and a coolsat 6100 receiver I checked the settings for my city london ontario canada and got elev=26 degrees 240 degrees I am not sure what to set lnb type and tp etc could sure use some help and hints of what to do:)

welcome :wave

Is there any numbers on the LNB?

It might say "LNB LO 10750" or Universal"

Check out thelist (top of page). Those have the transponders to pick to aim the dish

My lnb has this on the side It has rf:11.70/12.20 ghz

if:950/1450mhz

lo:10750 ghz
gain 55db and noise 0.5db

My receiver has these settings if someone could guide me through them:
sat-gal10r
frequency-
lnb power-
lnb type-
lnb frequency-
lnb 2khz-
diseqc sw- I just wan't to make sure I have things right or I could be moving this dish around for ever,thanks for any help you can give me

Last edited:
then you would set it up as Standard or the coolsats usually say SINGLE and LNB freq should be 10750

Thank you Iceburg I was confused with that I was editing my post with more info when you where replying,could you glance at my post again and see if there is something else I should know thank you very much for your time and quick responce:up

Try these

sat-gal10r
frequency-
lnb power- on or yes (to supply power to the LNBF)
lnb type- standard (your LNBF is a standard)
lnb frequency- 10750 (The Local ocillator Frequency of the LNBF)
lnb 22khz- no or off (you do not have a 22khz switch attached)
diseqc sw - no or off (you do not have a diseqc switch attached)

This is assuming you do not have a motor, you have no switches installed. The LNBF cable runs directly to the receiver.

When trying to find the satellite, make sure you have a strong active transponer selected. Try Frequency 11800, Vertical, Symbol Rate 26657. Also you need to skew your LNBF (turn it) for it lines up with the satellite.

ON the 6100 it would be
LNB power ON
LNB Type SINGLE
LNB Frequency 10750
22k OFF
Diseqc OFF

as noted above, this is with no motor

Try these

sat-gal10r
frequency-
lnb power- on or yes (to supply power to the LNBF)
lnb type- standard (your LNBF is a standard)
lnb frequency- 10750 (The Local ocillator Frequency of the LNBF)
lnb 22khz- no or off (you do not have a 22khz switch attached)
diseqc sw - no or off (you do not have a diseqc switch attached)

This is assuming you do not have a motor, you have no switches installed. The LNBF cable runs directly to the receiver.

When trying to find the satellite, make sure you have a strong active transponer selected. Try Frequency 11800, Vertical, Symbol Rate 26657. Also you need to skew your LNBF (turn it) for it lines up with the satellite.
Thank you I am running direct, I am confused with the skew thing I know there are numbers on the lnb holder or ring but I'm not sure what you mean or how to line it up, sorry for the dum questions:eek:

no dumb question

skew means twisting the LNB. For London, the skew is about +35
so you twist the LNB (if you are in front of the dish facing it) counterclockwise (see here )

If you don't skew the LNB you won't get a signal. Skew compensates because you are using a fixed dish. a motorized the skew is automatic

no dumb question

skew means twisting the LNB. For London, the skew is about +35
so you twist the LNB (if you are in front of the dish facing it) counterclockwise (see here )

If you don't skew the LNB you won't get a signal. Skew compensates because you are using a fixed dish. a motorized the skew is automatic
ok lets see if I this is sinking in. If I am standing in front of my dish I turn the lnb to the left until the centre of the back of lnb is at the 35 mark is this right? And I can't thank you guys enough!! I'm starting to have fun no picture yet but still learning lots:D

You got it. Now you just get to start slowly panning the dish back and forth until you see some signal register on your receiver's signal meter. Or your signal meter if you have one.

Just like to say thanks again and ask another question. The 33" dish I bought has the elev- marks on the side but there is no mark that I can see to use to line up the degrees, does anyone know what I should do or am at a guessing game with this?:)

Is there an edge by the elevation marks?

If not, then you have to use the centre of the elevation bolt. I have a dish that does it that way

Is there an edge by the elevation marks?

If not, then you have to use the centre of the elevation bolt. I have a dish that does it that way
The elevation marks at bottom are 20 30 40 50 60 degrees, but they are upside down as I look at them and on top there are 50 60 70 80 90 marks again upside down as I view them but I have the swivel slot as the same as my other dish could I have this baby put together wrong sorry if this is a bit confusing :confused:

Arthurgrant, is there any way you can post pictures of the mount?

That will probably show where the mark for determining elevation is.

One thing to remember is that the engraved elevation markings on dishes are often off by as many as 5 degrees (or sometimes even more), so they are only a general guide. You'll probably still have to tweak the elevation while watching a meter (or have a small TV and your receiver out at the dish site).

Arthurgrant, is there any way you can post pictures of the mount?

That will probably show where the mark for determining elevation is.

One thing to remember is that the engraved elevation markings on dishes are often off by as many as 5 degrees (or sometimes even more), so they are only a general guide. You'll probably still have to tweak the elevation while watching a meter (or have a small TV and your receiver out at the dish site).
I wish I could upload pics,but son has camera will have to wait for him,thanks for tip about the marks being off I will keep trying with that in mind, will setup small tv outside today and give this a slow serious try as it is going to be 18 c and sunny today,how touchy is the lnb screw does it have to be dead on,thanks to you and everyone that is helping me you must have a lot of patients :)

Arthur,

If you have a compass, get the dish set in the general vicinity with your settings for elevation and skew, then do a sweep (side to side). Move the dish slowly, basically nudging it about 1/16" at a time, watching the signal meter on the dish. You want to watch the quality meter, which is going to jump around, but will change color and become more stable once you have a signal. When this happens, move the dish very very small increments till you can max out the quality, then tighten the screws on the side to side movement. Now begin working on the elevation or up and down fine tuning. With one hand, grip the top or bottom of the dish, then loosen the elevation screws. Move the dish very small increments up or down until you max out this signal, then lock it down. Now you can play with the skew. Slightly turn the lnb until once again the signal is maxed and then your done!

The biggest thing is not to get discouraged. Once you have a signal, make some marks with a marker so you can go back to it if you have to. I found using 3 different colored markers helped , so that I could distinguish where I had my best signals.

Forgot to mention, set your antenna setup menu to the strongest transponder for g10 for aiming. Its 11805 H 4580.

LNBF skew becomes more of a factor as you move away from your true south toward the eastern and western ends of your arc. It's not really that complicated, you will want to twist the LNBF in its holder counterclockwise (looking from in front of the dish) for satellites west of due south and clockwise for satellites east of due south. The further away from due south the satellite is, the more severe the skew will be.

i found it here on the rock nfld (corner brook ) i found sattelite 121 first and moved my 6ft bud just a little to the left as i was facing thee dish . if i was behind the dish it was a little to the right and down just a smggon. you should find it in ontario easyier than me . its a weak signal.but if it was me i would go with a 36" dish instead
of a 33" dish .

I never got a signal on my meter for G10R but I just gave up and did a blind scan. I got one TP with 4 channels, 2 scrambled. I figured out what they were, peaked elevation and skew then move the dish a tiny bit and did another blind scan. FoundI was going in right direction re-peaked and moved over some more. Scanned and NUTZ-- had White Springs. Went back the other way and got UW! Adjusted skew and rescanned and had them all!----- Squealer Meter still would not respond, but I repeaked and called it a day.... Hm... I think I finally got the reason why people think BlindScan is SO important::: it is because it is!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)