Status
Please reply by conversation.

wope

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Louisiana
Hi,

Last year, I added whole-home DVR, and even though I requested the wireless setup, the installer insisted and basically forced me to use a wired set up. Here is my current set up:

Room 1: HR22-100, wired DECABB1MR0-01 to my wireless router in this room
Room 2: HR34-700
Room 3: HR21-200

Because of this set up, my wireless router has to stay in room 1. I now need to move my wireless router to room 2. I guess what I am asking is, what do I need to do to continue having internet and whole home DVR if I move my router to room 2 (HR34 room). Do I need to order the wireless cinema connection kit? Can I just hook up the wired DECABB1MR0-01 to my HR34 and router in room 2? I want to make sure I continue to have whole home DVR/internet access. I am normally very good with electronics and hooking this up like this, but I'll admit I know nothing about how the DTV home network setup works, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

My rule of thumb is wireless is only used for true mobile devices. If they have to plug into something it gets a CAT5 hookup.

Run a coax to your new wireless router location and hook it to the swm splitter for the wired deca.

Sent from my little Note2

wope,

Welcome to the wacky world of DirecTV. Think of the DECA as just a piece of pipe that converts an IP signal from twisted pair to coax. With that in mind, everything on the D* network behaves just the same as your regular home network. You can confirm this by going to your router table and you will see all three receivers as "connected devices". So, each receiver is acting just like a PC on your network. The DECA just allows the internet signal to get on your DirecTV coax.

With this in mind, you can just hookup the HR34 (room 2) the same way your HR22 is connected in Room 1. But, wait, there's more. The HR34 has a CCK built into it. So, you can just run a Cat 5 cable from your wireless router in room 2 directly to your HR34. Just plug it into the internet connection jack on the back of the receiver and have all the same functionality without the separate DECA (aka CCK). You can just then save the CCK for future use in case you have to move it again.

You must also have a SWM16 setup since you have 9 tuners in your setup and the basic SWM only supports 8 tuners. (You have 5 tuners in the HR34, and 2 in each of the HR receivers.) Since everything seems to be working OK now you should have no problems with the new setup.

Hope this helps,
bob

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just to make sure I understand... you are saying I can lose the wired DECA (currently on my H22 in room 1)... wire my H34 in room 2 with cat5 from my router (which will now be in there)... and I'll have internet/whole home DVR in all 3 rooms still? So, the H34 can feed internet to the other 2 rooms? Thanks again guys.

The hr34 is the only receiver that you can plug Ethernet cable directly into without loosing Whole-home as it has a built in cck, If you move the router again in the future remember how it is hooked up now bc in order for you do get connected you will have to hook it up as it is now with the deca (cck)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts