Help tracing Coax in new house

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wazzu93

Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
Boise, ID
I recently purchased a newly constructed house. It has RG6 and Cat5 run through-out from a common low voltage box. There are 2 coax extensions to the CableTV enclosure outside and 6 coax cables that are bundled together and labeled "Satellite" that exit the low voltage box and head towards the attic.

I haven't been able to locate where the Satellite coax terminate. They don't terminate in any of the jacks in the house and as far as I can determine the coax doesn't exit the house. I poked my head into the attic, but it has blown-in insulation so I can't climb around and look. To me it would be logical that the coax would be easily accessable for SatelliteTV installation, but I don't know where to look at this point. What are the common termination locations for coax Satellite runs in new construction?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I recently purchased a newly constructed house. It has RG6 and Cat5 run through-out from a common low voltage box. There are 2 coax extensions to the CableTV enclosure outside and 6 coax cables that are bundled together and labeled "Satellite" that exit the low voltage box and head towards the attic.

I haven't been able to locate where the Satellite coax terminate. They don't terminate in any of the jacks in the house and as far as I can determine the coax doesn't exit the house. I poked my head into the attic, but it has blown-in insulation so I can't climb around and look. To me it would be logical that the coax would be easily accessable for SatelliteTV installation, but I don't know where to look at this point. What are the common termination locations for coax Satellite runs in new construction?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Most likely, they terminate in the attic directly above the low voltage box, and were subsequently buried by the insulation. You're most likely going to have to climb up into the attic and look for them the old fashioned way.

bkos,

Wouldn't I need to have access to both ends of the cable for the tracer to work? Not being able to locate the other end of the coax is my issue.

You are right. You will need to know where it terminates. The tool could still be helpful so that once you find an end, you will know exactly which line is feeding it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)