Help with antenna choice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PotRoastMan

Original poster
Feb 20, 2010
MN
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times, but it seems the answer changes depending on where you live.
I am in Minneapolis, MN area in NW suburbs, about 15 miles away from the broadcast antennas. It seems we are a Hi-VHF and UHF market.

Ideally I would like an indoor antenna, something I could place near the TV. This is to keep it simple, as long as it works well.
Alternatively, I could put something in the attic. I prefer not to only because it is a lot to mess with, but it could be done if indoor doesn't work.

Looking for recommendations for either solution. I'm willing to try a few things, as long as they can be returned to the store.

Are you just working with one TV?
Me personally...I'd get a HBU33 or even in your case a HBU22. Both you can get at Radio Shack (click on the model #'s to see the link at the RS site)

I'm in Minneapolis too (SW Burbs down by Mistake Lake) and I used a HBU33 for 5 TV's for about 2 years now with no issues. I probably could have gotten by with a HBU22 but with 5 TV's (and me being a geek) I wanted something with a little oomph. Get all the main stations fine (2,4,5,9,11,17,23,29,45) and the low powered religious too (16, 25, 33, 50, 62)...41 is tough as the tower is in Big Lake (so for me 90 degrees off from the other stations) but you being closer it might help (its Ion)
I've upgraded to a HBU44 more for what I can attempt to get at night (got Eau Claire the other night as example) ;)

The HBU22 is only 6 feet long so it would fit in a attic fine

I've tried indoor antennas (even some big amplified ones) but have had so many issues with signal drops it wasnt worth it. But you could always try one first and see what you can pick up

For now, it is just one TV.
I live in Champlin, MN. According to tv fool, the main towers are 125 degrees and ION is 312 degrees, i'm right in the middle of those two. If I point to 125 degrees would it pick up something "behind" it just as well? I'm new to this, looking at getting this for free (what I pay $50/month for right now). I'm interested mainly for the big 4 networks, and HD.

For my attic, I have a tube that drops down to the basement where there is an amp and coax connections to every bedroom in the house. So, it is temping to do that. I just dont want to have to "break the seal" and go up there if I can pick something else that works well and would be way easier to setup. But it sounds like it would be worth it and my home is wired/setup to be able to do it really well.. If I am going to go up there, then I want to do it right (and hopefully, just once) so I'd probably get the 33.

if I wanted to try out one or two indoor antennas, are there any that are generally considered "better" than others? Any specific recommendations?

For now, it is just one TV.
I live in Champlin, MN. According to tv fool, the main towers are 125 degrees and ION is 312 degrees, i'm right in the middle of those two. If I point to 125 degrees would it pick up something "behind" it just as well?
it should. Like I say the main stations for me are at 46 compass and Ion is at 340 or so (so 90 degrees off) and it works real well. Signal isnt max like when I aim the antenna directly at it but good enough its stable.
I'm new to this, looking at getting this for free (what I pay $50/month for right now). I'm interested mainly for the big 4 networks, and HD.
both of those antennas I linked to will work fine. And what is sweet is the subchannels we can get (especially on KSTP 5 & KSTC 45). Antenna TV, MeTV, ThisTV (all classic programs) and on 23 TheCoolTV (videos) and Country Network
For my attic, I have a tube that drops down to the basement where there is an amp and coax connections to every bedroom in the house. So, it is temping to do that. I just dont want to have to "break the seal" and go up there if I can pick something else that works well and would be way easier to setup. But it sounds like it would be worth it and my home is wired/setup to be able to do it really well..
being that close and the Big 4 (and PBS) being powerful enough even if it splits to 4 or 5 TV's it will still be fine picture wise. Sounds like the house is all set to go except for the antenna

If I am going to go up there, then I want to do it right (and hopefully, just once) so I'd probably get the 33.
I agree. If you need it now go to Radio Shack and get it. But if you can wait a week (or less) and save some money suggest getting it through Solid signal. They're based in Michigan and even with shipping ($7) its still over $30 cheaper than Radio Shack for the HBU33. I've purchased both my HBU33 & HBU44 from there (also my VHF only antenna to get KEYC12 Mankato)

By the way here is my antenna setup

left mast is the HBU44 (on top) and the HBU33 (on bottom)
right mast is a VHF only antenna aimed at Mankato for KEYC 12 (CBS/Fox subchannel)

the dish up there got removed recently ;)

Attachments

• Hispasat 7.JPG
    Hispasat 7.JPG
    599.8 KB · Views: 163

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)