Help With Dish Dvr 522 Video Tx To Cpu

ezyemail

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 29, 2004
Hi All,

My DISH DVR 522 is downstairs and my cpu is upstairs, I need the best (wireless) alternative to get the video out of the downstairs DVR to the upstairs cpu .

My capture card only has Coaxal and RCA video inputs, no firewire.

Thanks

ezy

Is there some way to get data off a 522 with a firewire if you DID have one on your computer? Didnt know there were some 522's with a firewire port on them. Does your have one? none of the 522's ive seen have a firewire port.

As far as you coaxial connection can you run a length of rg-6 to your computer? Don't know of any wireless digital way to send the feed to your pc. There are some wireless a/v kits that you can send analog composite video and left right audio to your pc location.

Jon

j5races said:
Didnt know there were some 522's with a firewire port on them.

No you're right there are none. Maybe he's confused with the USB.

ezyemail why not just take the computer down the stairs once a week or whatever and transfer your files that way? I think the wireless quality is not so good sometimes.

Your best quality capture is going to happen using the composite or s-video outputs over a short cable to your capture card. If that's not possible then you can utilize the TV2 modulator for stereo audio, but quality will suffer. I've owned many different capture cards, and I've never had, seen or heard of one with a tuner section that didn't introduce considerable image artifacts in the resultant captures. My solution for this was buy a cheap 522 off ebay (i.e. one with a balance) and I shuffle recordings from one to the other. This lets me capture at my convenience without tying up one of the DVR outputs and without moving my capture pc. It's difficult to do this without voiding the warranty on your DVR, so don't try this with a leased unit.

It's really too bad that we'll probably never see something like Tivo2Go on the 522. I would love being able to move recordings (and even jpegs) to and from my computer.

Thanks for all the replies, I use coax cable now, and the pic looks like garbage, thats why I wanted to switch to wireless rca video/audio with a terk (leapfrog) transmitter.

Its at best buy for $99.99, I read reviews on it, and it sounds good, as long as you dont have a 2.4gig cordless phone ( i have a 5.8 cordless)

When is the usb post on the 522 going to be active I wonder?

Thor263 said:
It's really too bad that we'll probably never see something like Tivo2Go on the 522. I would love being able to move recordings (and even jpegs) to and from my computer.

Why? Surely not to save them. With audio and video dropouts, saving data from the 522 is questionable.

My 522 is fine for watching shows once. My 322 goes to my own DVR for clean recordings to save.

JohnP

jpezz said:
Why? Surely not to save them. With audio and video dropouts, saving data from the 522 is questionable.

My 522 is fine for watching shows once. My 322 goes to my own DVR for clean recordings to save.

JohnP

You definitely have a point there. If they could fix the audio/video dropout problem, then it would be worthwhile. However, given their track record of trying to get basic features working correctly, something like Tivo2Go will never happen.

If the unit is having a problem with the audio/video dropout, it would have to be 1 or more of 3 things. That the unit is not getting a complete satellitle signal, that it's not saving the entire file to the hard drive, and/or it is not decoding and displaying the decoded image correctly. So, any bets on which 1 it is?

larrystotler said:
If the unit is having a problem with the audio/video dropout, it would have to be 1 or more of 3 things. That the unit is not getting a complete satellitle signal, that it's not saving the entire file to the hard drive, and/or it is not decoding and displaying the decoded image correctly. So, any bets on which 1 it is?

The 322 I have works fine. The 522 which replaced a perfectly good 322 has dropouts so its not the satellite signal. The dropouts, I believe, reoccur when backing up and repeating the play. This would indicate the problem is on disk rather than playback. Everyone else reports similar problems. Its not the reception. Its the 522. My guess is that there are hiccups when writing to the disk. Either the linux system gets to busy to write or someone is running a large Oracle database search on the disk :D

The CPU and/or I/O system are not fast enough or Dish was too cheap with the memory buffering.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)