help with dish elevation:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Your mast is not level, you need to use a level across the top of the mast/tube before mounting the dish. And the dish elevation is set too low, simply loosen the two elevation nuts and raise the dish elevation then re-tighten.

But if the mast is not plumb and level NOTHING will work!

Attachments

• mountpole.gif
    mountpole.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 171
Even when I have the mast level. The dish is still pointing down on the lowest setting. But when I have it set to 45 degrees the dish still looks like it is pointing to only 20 degrees. It just doesn't look right to me. Is that normal for the dish to point down on the lowest setting (10 degrees) or did I install the dish wrong?

The dish elevation should be higher!

The dish in the above picture shows the elevation at about 18º

Use the centre of the nut when setting elevation!

plee33 said:
Can someone help me with the elevation of the Fortec Dish? When I have it on the lowest angle 10" (taken off the bracket mount) the dish looks like it is pointing towards the ground. Did I not install the dish right?]

It's an offset dish, they always look like they're pointing lower than they actually are. Since the lnb isn't centered on the dish the radio waves bounce down at an angle. Think of playing pool and bank shots. It's not accurate but follow the path from the lnb to the center of the dish and then visualize the signal going up at the same angle.

That should be enough to confuse you :) but the jist of it is an offset dish always looks like it's pointing lower than it is.

See below for a picture of how the signal bounces off an off-set dish.

Even though still looks way too low!

Attachments

• pdss047078.jpg
    pdss047078.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 164
its too low. The only way he could have a 10 degree elevation at TS is if he was in Way Northern Canada. (near the North POle) :)

Just to confirm what I see on the TV screen coming off the CaptiveWorks:

Antenna Setting screen:

Sat Name: 33 Ku_Telestar 5 (97W)
Transponder: 11966/H/22000/Auto
LNB Freq: 10750
22KHz: OFF
Diseqc#: None (since I'm not connected to a switch at the moment)
Motorized system: None

that looks right. As long as your LNB is not Universal, the settings are right.

On the LNB does it say "LNB LO 10750?"

The LNBF is a Megasat MS1075 with:

LO: 10.750
RF: 11.70/12.20GHz
GAIN: 55dB
N.F.: 0.4dB

Could you tell me if this is a universal LNBF?

OK, I've finally got some quality readings on Galaxy 10R. Thanks to all for your inputs. However, I had to set my dish elevation to 7 degrees higher than what is called for by the satellite from my location. I am using a Fortec Star 80CM dish. The pole is as plumb as I can get it. I was also able to get Telstar 5 but again with the added 7 degrees elevation. I don't understand it.

some Fortec dishes are goofy and off.

My G10 should be 30 elevation but it shows about 25 on the scale

Status
Please reply by conversation.