help with hispasat

Status
Please reply by conversation.
FTA 101

What part of the previous thread was unclear??
I know we sometimes take shortcuts and use jargon that may be unfamiliar to a new user, but I thought we answered these questions already.
It is a little scary the first time out, but all becomes second nature with experience.

On the dish, there's elevation (how high to aim), azimuth (aiming left right) and for that you should use the magnetic azimuth from a table along with a compass, and skew (which way and how far to twist the LNB in its holder).

You have to set up the mounting pole completely plumb.
That means it must be vertical, and you have to check with your level on several sides of the pole to be certain.

Often, the elevation markings are off a little , on the dish mouing bracket.
Often you are off a little deciding which way to aim with your compass.
These are okay, because you will sweep the dish left/right and up/down in very tiny increments looking for some signal (hopefully the one you seek).

Just like looking for your favorite FM/AM/TV station, the receiver must be set to the correct channel.
To find a particular bird, see Iceberg's list above of strong transponders for each satellite.
Also, our own satellite list TheList has them marked for you.
Pick a strong one on your chosen bird, to use for first aiming.

LNB info must be set correctly into the receiver.
The LO or Local Oscillator frequency will be either of two values, but that may be somewhat automatic because the two types of LNBs you'll use for FTA are called either Standard, or Universal.
Each has it's own frequency.
Once the receiver knows about the LNB, it can correctly tune to your Strong Transponder.

I'm sure I've left something out, here, but has this back-to-basics been of any help?
If we can figure out what you are missing, we'll set you straight! :up :D

merged yet another duplicate thread

please use the original thread you created. It is much easier to follow the thread if you put the info in that thread instead of multiple threads

Last edited:
tscooter your skew in Miami for Hispasat is -58 , stand in front of the dish and turn the LNB and pretend that the LNB cable is the hand of a clock you should be pointing at 8:00 .

The following Information was obtained from Mike Kohl's Global Communications Web Page http://www.global-cm.net/hi030KUANG.html

SKEW is Polarization Setting.
Minus degrees = CCW rotation from center
Normal LNBF center setting is referred to as 0°, which can be viewed as 6:00 clock position looking at the front of the antenna..
-15 = 6:30 -30 = 7:00 -45 = 7:30

-60 = 8:00 -75 = 8:30 -90 = 9:00

Note : Hispasat is a very popular Satellite in the Miami area because of the Cuba Channels , I'm sure if you pay attention in some neighborhoods you'll see Ku dishes pointing straight across with what seems to be very little elevation.

Hispansat from WPB

Once you find it, you will find a bunch of channels on Hispansat.
I live in WPB and it booms in no problem.
Was using a 31" Winegard with Invacom lNB

help!!!!

what do you mean by factory file 34, also wnat to know why my receiver does no save my sttings for hispasat, keeps on going back to echostar.

OK lets try this

1. do a factory reset
2. select Hispasat as the satellite
3. select the LNB freqency (10750)
4. select a transponder that is ACTIVE (check thelist at the top for a list of active transponders)
5. SAVE IT...I havent had a Viewsat in 3 years so I dont remember how to save settings. Most when you exit it will say "do you want to save it?"

Then bring it back up in the menu and aim the dish. Set the skew for -54 as noted above. Anole's and Jayelem's notes above can help from here (no need to retype it)

dont worry about the file...just read the info on how to set up the receiver and how to aim the dish

99% of the time people blame the LNB they're wrong

I'd watch the meter on the receiver. As noted above (hopefully you have been reading) that the Fortec dishes can be off on elevation so the best thing to do is to take the receiver and a little TV out and watch the quality meter

I personally like using those cheap chirping Analog Meters that are adjusted by 1 knob , but agree that it's very doable with Just a Little TV and receiver ... most importantly alot of patience.

When searching for a Quality signal please pause after each adjustment so that your receiver has time to register it on the Quality meter , you may be passing it up if you're going to quickly.

Just to let you know I was very frustrated the first time I set up a stationary dish on Hispasat , I was so frustrated that I couldn't achieve a quality signal reading quickly so I basically calmed down and took it step by step by adjusting the dish in small increments , believe it or not 15-20 minutes later I got a quality reading and fined tuned the dish .

this is Iceberg., the problem is that the viewsat does not save the settings.

for jayelem

jayelem said:
Do you speak Spanish ?
And if you do would you prefer that I give you instructions in Spanish.
yes i do,but that is no going to change anything, s there another satelllite easy to get so i can make sure the lnb s no defectve?

clear for me positive/negative skew

i am aware n DN looking from th back of the dish, positive s achieve moving the skew clockwise, is the same for the Fortec 31 inches?i

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)