Help with R10

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ktk3438

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I just got an R10 (Tivo) for free from a friend of mine, and I have a couple questions.

First, do I have to call them to make it work, or can I just hook it up and it will be ok?

Second, does this unit absolutely HAVE to have 2 lines coming in to work, or can I just use one tuner?

Third, I only have a phone line connected to my main HR20, and it's only connected part of the time, (mostly not), will this unit NEED to have the phone line? None of my others have needed one, I really only use the one for caller I.D. when I'm not home for long periods of time.

And last, does anyone have good/bad opinions about these boxes, or is there anything else I need to know?

P.S. Will the remote I have for the HR20 & the other standard boxes work with this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Well it'a in and ready. Gotta get used to the functions coming from the HR20 this on is different for sure!

Anyway, D* sent out an installer to run my second line for the R10, and let me tell you what a horrible job this guy did.

First, unlike the first installer, he ran the line from switch in the basement, but drilled right through the window frame (first installer found a better route), then he ran it along the side of the house, layed it in the rain gutter half the length of my house, then up the roof a couple feet drilling self tapping screws into the shingles (which I didn't really want and that was why I wanted the dish in the side of the house and not the roof), then he drilled a hole right in the from of the house on the second floor and it looks so ghetto.

All he had to do was to come up over the side of the roof, and drill into the side (much less noticible from the street) and right to the unit. The unit, TV and all are on the side wall, so why come in through the front? Well I figured it out after looking in room. coming in from the front meant not having to move any furniture, and from the outside, he did not have to leave his ladder, and could lean in and do it all.

It is the work of an amature, and a lazy one at that. They are coming back out Tues, and a Supervisor will be checking it out. But if they Re-run this properly, what are they going to do with the hole they drilled in the front through the siding? Fill it in? And if so with what? I mean, it will always show with whatever they put in there, but I want a permanent seal on there so I don't have to worry about water getting behind the siding someday. Also are they going to fill in the holes in the roof? Also, all he did was feed the cable in and use silicone, even the cable company uses rubber grommets. Just looked unstable with an oversized hole and silicone filling all around it.

I'm asking because I do not know where I strand on this, the originial installer did a professional job and I was very happy, but this s just horrible

I feel your pain. This is why we pre-wired for satellite in our new home. Haven't moved in yet, but I'll be so glad to NOT have visible wires running all over the place. To be honest, our best installer was the guy with Dish. I don't know if you have any grounds to stand on if you were there and allowed him to drill all those holes. I would be concerned as well, but probably the best you can do is make sure all those holes are well sealed with silicone. That's what we had to do in our current situation. I'm sure you could find something more attractive to retrofit in those spaces, but it might be a pain in the rear to deal with. GL, and hopefully something can be worked out.

I was not there, but my wife was, and all he said was "you have 2 choices, I can drill through walls and charge $40.00/hour, or I can drill through the front of the house".

First of all my wife didn't understand and was only trying to save $$ for extra labor for wall fishing. I think he knew what he was dealing with.

Now where he was wrong is he had more than 2 choices, but he just wanted to get get in, get out, & get paid as quickly as possible so he could jump another job.

It was sloppy, aesthetically horrible, just plain old wrong.

I did speak with his Supervisor, and they are coming back out tomorrow. He's going to take pictures and bring the tech with him. He did say that if this job is what I say, that he will not pay him because he gets paid by the job and not the hour.

I only wish I was going to be there, but the wife has instructions to not allow any work without my prior consent.

I just hope the holes get plugged and they are not very visible from the street.

Off the subject of the crappy installation, I have one more question pertaining to the unit.

Does this unit work with the "Active" button, and the "Game Lounge"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.