Help With Switch Problem

M Law

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Hi guys, need a little help to figure out a problem.

First, I am in the San Luis Obispo, CA area, about halfway between LA and San Fran on the coast. I use ExpressVu to receive and DVR the US nets in high def, and pretty much that is it. Using a 9200 HD receiver and ever since the transponder shake up last summer, I've only been able to receive the East Coast PBS, FOX, CBS, and NBC HD channels, with the ABC HD channel only from the West Coast. Using a DVR, that's worked well enough.

Came home last night and found I could no longer receive the ABC HD channel. When tuned to the ABC HD channel, get the "satellite signal temporarily unavailable" error message (Channel: 821, Satellite: 82, Transponder: 25).

Looked at signal strength and ran a switch test. It's a switch 44 (SW44), and it shows a reception error:
Satellite Input 1 - Missing: Port 1a Sat 82 Odd
Satellite Input 2 - Missing: Port 1a Sat 82 Odd

So, do I have a bad switch? Anything I can do to correct it, short of replacing it? If it needs to be replaced, what price range should I expect?

As always, you guys are the best to help with a problem, and I appreciate any response.

If you have just a 9200 why not switch to DishPro? Heck, switch to a Legacy Twin...no switches involved

but honestly switch the cables around and do a re-check switch

Thanks Iceberg, hope to do just that thing this afternoon, if I am not in a tryptophan stupor!

Had some time this weekend to try and resolve this problem, and I have to say I am stumped. I manage a technical site with millions in electronics, and here I can't figure out a simple satellite downlink problem. I am really hoping someone can help me with what to try next.

If you read my original post, you will see the error I am getting, however the loss of channels has gotten worse. Of the HD package (only thing I care about), the only channels I can still pick up are FOX and NBC East Coast.

First thing I did was swap the cables coming off the LNBs for 91 and 82 at the SW44 switch. No change.

Then I swapped receiver cables coming off the switch. No change.

Next I swapped the 82 LNB with a spare, again no change.

Lastly, I replaced the switch with a new one, again NO CHANGE.

This really has me stumped. If the switch test is correct, it should be something in the signal path coming from the 82 LNB. I replaced the LNB, I replaced the cable from the LNB, I replaced the switch. What else is there?

Come on guys, I know someone is bound to have a bright idea to fix this problem. Thanks in advance for any and all ideas.

I am in Orange County and I am getting the same error as you. My house is being remodeled so I was only able to hook up the receiver on Sunday when I seen this error while running check switch. I noticed that CBC-HD, which I had always received was displaying the check switch message. I am pretty sure that the switch is OK, the problem is with the recent maintenance that Expressvu is doing on 82.

i'm guessing the transponders that "check switch" verifies as existing to determine if a satellite is there, cannot be seen from your location anymore.

Just hooked up my 9200, it still fails switch check but I get CBC-HD, TSN-HD, SN-HD, M-HD, so life is good.

On 91 I do NOT get TPs 4,8,10,12,18,22,24,26 with the ones I do get in the 80/90s.

82-1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31 I get Wrong Sat - Bell ExpressVu 91 with a strong signal strength

Last edited:
Thanks for checking this out RF_Eng, I was beginning to think I was losing it, since no one else was reporting the problem. Can anyone else in CA confirm they have lost additional US HD channels and are having "check switch" errors?

It would appear that ExpressVu has further tweaked 82 such that we have now lost additional US HD channels. Can someone tell us if this is permanent or temporary, cause if they are going to leave it this way, I have some ExpressVu equipment I will be putting up for sale. Being in a semi-remote area, with no local channels in HD, this was the only way I could get the US nets in HD and boy am I going to miss it. It's just amazing to me how far ExpressVu will go to drive away their southern customers.

If you want HD reliably, switch to StarChoice

ExpressVu is moving stuff around all the time on those crapelites. So one day you may have some channels and the next day when they move stuff around then its gone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)