Help with Switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BrianB

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I have sold my dish equipment and installed DirecTV. I currently only have my HD DirecTivo box hooked up. However, I would like to hook up another receiver (non-DVR) if possible. The trick is that I can only have 2 lines going into my condo (long story) and both are going directly into the HD Tivo. Can I get a switch to hook up another receiver or do I need a third line coming in?

Thanks

BrianB said:
I have sold my dish equipment and installed DirecTV. I currently only have my HD DirecTivo box hooked up. However, I would like to hook up another receiver (non-DVR) if possible. The trick is that I can only have 2 lines going into my condo (long story) and both are going directly into the HD Tivo. Can I get a switch to hook up another receiver or do I need a third line coming in?

Thanks

If you're using a phase III dish (with the 4 connections on it) then you will need to install another cable from the dish, sorry.

rad said:
If you're using a phase III dish (with the 4 connections on it) then you will need to install another cable from the dish, sorry.
Otherwise you could do it the cheap way and install a 2*4 switch on the 2 lines currently going to the Tivo, outputs 1 and 2 from the switch intot he tivo and run a line from output 3 to wherever you want the reciever to be.

Or you could bring 4 lines in from the phase 3 and put a cascadable multi switch inside then run an internal distribution system. 1 line from the existing dish seems like the easiest way.

It's one of the new Phase III dishes with 4 outputs, so I guess another line is my only choice.

I live in a condo and each room has two coax lines running to a central box. When Dish network did the orginal install, they drilled a hole to put two lines from my balcony into my second bedroom. So, I connected those two lines into the pre-existing coax connections that run to the central box. I then connected those two lines in the central box to the ones going to my living room. So, even if I ran the third line through the drilled hole, I have nowhere to go with it!

Thanks for the advice!

VOOMER said:
If you are not using the phase III for HD or any other purpose other than to get your DTV signal why not swap it out for a basic 18in dish
connected to the 2 lines you have ,put a multiswitch on those 2 and have 4 outputs to use.

If you can get to room where the cables come in from the dish you can locate it there and then connect the coax going to the room you want to add on ???

Thanks, but the Tivo I do have is HD so I would lose my HD channels, right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Moving my dish to new home

Multiswitch/Diplexor Setup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)