Help with Winegard 3100 - cband on small dish project

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I promised a few results, so here they are:

transponders - strength - # of channels rec.
4000 H 26400 - 55 and stable - 7 LESEA channels
3735 H 3775 - - 40 or so but unable to lock on any channel
3848 H 15030 - 55 - 5 channels including NPR
WP_20141206_005.jpg

Since the LNB arm has a light bend in the arm, I compensated the angle by cutting a 40 degree angle in the piece of wood then attached the bracket at the end. This allowed the C-band lnb to align of almost perfectly with the focal point on the dish. I used Joe's suggestion with the 3/4 by 3/4 piece of wood.
WP_20141206_006.jpg

I may be able to provide additional information on the transponders that I was able to lock on when my kids decide to give me back my space.

Looks good! I would expect slightly better performance, but you are close!

The opening of the feedhorn appears to be much closer to the reflector than the stock Ku feedhorn would be positioned. Try removing the scalar and optimizing the focal distance for maximum Signal Quality reading on the weakest transponder. Now add the scalar and slide fore/aft for maximum Signal Quality reading. You may find that both the feedhorn and the scalar must be repositioned for maximum Signal Quality readings.

Is the feedhorn at the same angle as the stock Ku configuration? It appears to be aimed lower on the reflector.

Here is the Winegard PDF: http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2451729.pdf

Reactions: ray224000
Titanium....I ran back out before dark to see if I could apply your wisdom.

I doubled checked that the feedhorn is spot on with the same angle as the stock KU configuration. However, I removed some hardware so I could get a little more space to adjust the scalar.

Once I did that and adjusted the scalar, results definitely improved.

While outside using a Traxis 6000 HD, I was able to locate 17 transponders. Good but when it was all said and done, locked in on nine. That is better than the three I locked in yesterday. By the way, I use an Amiko 2 in house.

I was wrong on 3848 H. I didn't intend to mislead.

I am currently getting the following with some kind of channel on it.

4000 H 26400 - LESEA 1-7 @ 65. Up from 55.
3785 H 4850 - Escapes @ 20
3720 H 8700 - 2 channels @ 35
4020 V 15000 - 3 channels @ 70+
3820 V 26000 - GDMX feeds @ 70+

Thanks for the help.

Weather permitting, I'll get back at there tomorrow.

Ray

Reactions: Titanium and T134
Question here is the lnbf pointed down than looking straight ahead or is it just me? Good results leasea channels are the best one's to pick up.

Dan

This Winegard is different then others. The arm confused me from the beginning.

I guess the best thing to do is go through picture by picture with how I came up with that configuration.

One thing I do know the focal point of the KU lines up with the focal of the Cband lnb.

I'll keep trying different things to learn and improve the signals.

Why I was wondering is Michael metion to me that the lnbf should be pointed straight at the dish. My 1 meter dish I messed up on my lnbf focal point by angling it up at the dish. I should have aim it straight at the dish also when I used the multi-lnbs I was way off on my elevation setting on 99w c band. Check you pm I will talk to you further about it.

The feedhorn angle will be different between models, but typically it will be to the center of the reflector. This is why it is important to mount the original feedhorn to observe and/or template the center height, focal distance and the the angle of the feedhorn illuminating the reflector.

If the dish's elevation scale reading is off for the centered satellite, the feedhorn opening is too high or low. This is why I would suggest first aiming the dish and optimizing for the centered satellite on the stock KU LNBF then swap to the C-band clamp and LNBF. If the dish elevation needs to be adjusted to peak the C-band signals, then the clamp height is incorrect and should be first optimized by raising or lowering the clamp.

Reactions: ray224000
All is going well with the new setup. I went back and checked the alignment with the original feedhorn. The focal point for the KU and C-band lnb's appear to line up like it should. The angle also appears to be same.

I've received what most said I would, based on my equipment. I'm hoping to beat the storms tomorrow to do some minor adjustments.

Other than that, I am pleased with the results.

Thanks for everyone's help and constructed advice.

Ray

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)