Help with Wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tcube

Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
I've finally was able to get signal from T5 and now is having problem with wiring. My house is already prewired with cable TV and I want to bring in the satellite cable without drilling anymore holes in my walls. I am using a diplexer at the incoming point to combine the cable TV and satellite signal and also one at the output point to separate the signal. However, I am not getting signal from the satellite cable. My cable TV line signal is coming in just fine. Could distance be the problem? The satellite cable that I ran into the house is about 100 ft. and then the prewired cable inside the house runs about another 100 ft. If distance is the problem, is there something I can buy to install to fix this problem? By the way, I am using RG6 Quad Shield cable to minimize signal loss. Your help with this is greatly appreciated.

Make sure there are no splitters behind the walls..... if there are it will not work, it must be a complete cable run even if you use diplexers, good luck!

I've checked and there are no splitters. There are four cable lines running into each of the room in my home. The only splitter is at the incoming line, but I am placing the diplexer between the line into the room(s) and the splitter so that should not matter - Main cable line > splitter > diplexer (cable and satellite cable attached) > cable into the room(s) > wall outlet > short cable > diplexer > to satellite receiver.

I just checked the line from the satellite to the diplexer to see if signal is coming in and there is no signal coming in. I have measured the cable length and it is about 75 ft. from the lnbf to diplexer. However, when I hooked up another direct cable straight into my house - about 55 foot - the signal came in just fine. This is how I have been watching programs for the last three weeks by running the line through my back sliding door everytime I want to watch something I have to bring in the line. I wanted to utilize the existing cable in my house to bring in the satellite signal. I wanted to make sure that the line from the lnbf to the diplexer works, I've tested it by sending cable signal through it and signal came through very clear. So I know that part of the cable is working just fine. I just don't understand that when I hook up this cable up to the lnbf and test it using small TV and receiver at the diplexer end, I get no signal. The line works and I am getting signal from T5 just fine. I am a bit lost at this point.

Have you tested the diplexers? (LNBF -> dip -> short outside cord -> dip -> TV)

Cable will work with a splitter satellite will not, its all it can be! Digital satellite is not a TV picture until it gets to the receiver and is then turned into a picture, until then its just digital information 000000111111011111001111111110000001111110000111

If the cable works and the satellite will not work through the same cable it must be split or piggy backed up to all the rest of the cable in the house. Hope you get it to work, if not maybe a flat coax cable will save you some hassle, they can be used through windows and doors but of course you would be best with a complete new cable run!

Most cable tv splitters are 5-1000 MHz if they are fairly new, if they are older they will be somewhat lower than 1000 MHz. L-Band (satellite) signals range from 950 to 1450 MHz with a standard LNB, so you can see there is only 50 MHz of your satellite signal that would be able to pass on a Cable TV splitter.

You need special L-Band splitters if you want to split satellite. I think the thing to do is to run a seperate wire to each place you want the L-Band if that is possible, it saves headaches. Also some cables perform worse at satellite frequiencies than at cable frequiencies but for shorter runs most anything should do.

Wholeshoe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)